5w20 Honda Pilot

Messages
13
Location
hawaii
I know this has been answered before, but, I am new sorry. I just bought a Honda Pilot and it recommends 5w20 oil. However, I have heard even from the service dept where I bought it, that is is ok to use 5w30. I live in Hawaii so weather is not a problem. I ask because I really like Mobil1 5w30. Is it ok to use this weight oil in my Pilot? I heard 5w20 is mostly for fuel mileage and does Not protect as well as say 5w30 might. I do want to use a syn. oil. mv
 
Messages
8,937
Location
SC
quote:
Originally posted by michaelv: I know this has been answered before, but, I am new sorry. I just bought a Honda Pilot and it recommends 5w20 oil. However, I have heard even from the service dept where I bought it, that is is ok to use 5w30. I live in Hawaii so weather is not a problem. I ask because I really like Mobil1 5w30. Is it ok to use this weight oil in my Pilot? I heard 5w20 is mostly for fuel mileage and does Not protect as well as say 5w30 might. I do want to use a syn. oil. mv
Mobil 1 5w30 will do fine, as would the Mobil 1 0w20.
 

michaelv

Thread starter
Messages
13
Location
hawaii
Thanks, do I dare ask? If not a synth. then what would be a good 5w20 oil. I heard chevron is good. Just checking all my options..mv
 
Messages
8,937
Location
SC
quote:
Originally posted by michaelv: Thanks, do I dare ask? If not a synth. then what would be a good 5w20 oil. I heard chevron is good. Just checking all my options..mv
I think the Conoco Hydroclear (aka Motorcraft) is one of the best. It's shown some very good numbers in the UOAs that have been posted of it.
 

michaelv

Thread starter
Messages
13
Location
hawaii
thanks again, I most likely will stick with synth. Mobil1 5w-30. 0w20 is hard to find here. In fact, I have never seen it. Of the two, which is better?. I hope 5w-30 since that is all I can find, with the exception of 10w-30. That is at costco..mv
 
Messages
1,130
Location
California
I am in the same situation with an '03 Honda Accord 3.0 DOHC V6, which I believe is that same engine as is used in the Pilot. After reading a good bit of material I am convinced that Mobil-1 5W-30 will be very appropriate for this engine and I plan to transistion to it on a future oil change. Right now I have the well regarded Motorcraft 5W-20 in there. John
 
Messages
450
Location
The Bay Area
I have an 03 Prem. Mustang GT that suggests 5W20. I got that water out of there after the initial 1000 mile break-in. Now I'm running 5W30 with no problem.
 

michaelv

Thread starter
Messages
13
Location
hawaii
Ok, finally, since my Pilot suggests using 5w20. I still have one more question. Between M1 5w30 and 10w30, which would be better for my Pilot here in Hawaii(weather). 10w30 is easy to get here(costco). I can get 5w30 but, a little more of a hassle. But, I still would like the best I can get for my new suv. Within reason I should say. thanks again mv
 

Jay

Messages
1,607
Location
Idaho Falls, ID
quote:
Originally posted by michaelv: Of the two, which is better?. I hope 5w-30 since that is all I can find, with the exception of 10w-30. That is at costco..mv
I'm trying to answer that question in my Acura RSX. I have a 7000 mile sample of M1 5w-30 posted and another 7000 mile sample of M1 0w-20 enroute to a lab. I'll post the comparison soon. [ August 26, 2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]
 
Top