2013 Outback

Hello all. I have a 2013 Outback. Check engine came on, brake light flashing, and CC flashing. I looked up the issue….. Ive read it’s the gas cap which I have already checked. Heard it’s the alternator and battery, guy at auto parts checked those and said they’re fine. I have a code P0240 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 1).
Any idea if this is a major issue? Ive reset it twice now. Please help. Any suggestions are appreciated

Thank you. Are there just 2 02 sensors for this? And what exactly is a rear 02 extension? Changing these won’t solve the issue though, if it’s the cat, correct?

Yes, 2 o2 sensors pre and post cat,if you look at the Walker I posted the link to you can see the 2 bungs for them on the cat.
The extender goes on the rear o2, it does not fix a bad cat it lies to the ecm to put the light and and do away with the code.
You can get them straight or angled whatever you need. This is a 2 pack but you only need one for the rear sensor.

Thank you again. So, I’m not very mechanically knowledgeable like others, so I appreciate the info. But, how do I know if it’s actually a bad cat?

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

P0420 by itself and no other codes almost always means you need a new cat. The only time it won't be is if there is rust somewhere between the cat and the oxygen sensor, where the rust hole will cause extra air to enter and throw off the sensor's reading.

A bad gas cap will usually be P0442 by itself, and oxygen sensors have their own codes, too.

Do you have emissions inspection in your state? Are you in an emissions or non-emissions county? :unsure:

If you need a new cat, replace the oxygen sensors along with it. Get the cheapest CARB-compliant cat, even if you don't live in California. The California-legal cats have more precious metal catalyst material in them, and they will last much longer. They come with a 5-year/50k warranty on catalytic performance. Federal non-CA cats only have a 2-year/25k warranty on catalytic performance.

We don’t have emission testing here.
I just don’t want to pay to replace the cat if I don’t have to. But now you have me thinking maybe I should. It’s my daughters car, and she freaks out with an engine light on.

I had a similar thing happen on my 2014. Cruise control shut off when driving and most of those lights came on. Otherwise it diove normal. I was on an important trip to the airport in the evening to pick up some one arriving from Europe. Kept going and made it there and back home. Pushed my luck the next day with no problems other than cruise control that didn't work. Kept pushing and a few days later all the lights went off, the cruise control started working and kept driving until the next year when it was traded in for a new car.

Odd that the problems ceased, but I did not argue.

The extender goes on the rear o2, it does not fix a bad cat it lies to the ecm to put the light and and do away with the code.

Lie is such a harsh word. I like to think of it more as adjusting for its age.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
We don’t have emission testing here.
I just don’t want to pay to replace the cat if I don’t have to. But now you have me thinking maybe I should. It’s my daughters car, and she freaks out with an engine light on.
I would try the extenders first. CAT's are a lot of money, especially if your not the DIY type.

So I should wait to replace the sensors until I replace both cats? They’re are 2 correct?

Ok thank you. I’ll order the extender, and the 2 O2 sensors. What issue would this fix? Just the codes recurring?

I’m sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I understand. So I shouldn’t change any sensors at all, just add the extension? And that’s to the rear?

If it runs good, normal fuel economy and no codes for o2 then no you don't have to replace the sensors just add to the rear sensor.
This gives you some idea of the locations.

Back