2013 Nissan Quest CVT Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. Current situation with in-laws 2013 Nissan Quest. 3.5 liter with 79,000 miles. Never had cvt fluid changed. I was told it's bucking and not accelerating properly. I drove it to my house and confirmed definite transmission problem. CEL on. Hooked up my scanner and found P1778. I researched that and found I'm not the only one experiencing problems with Nissan cvt transmissions.
I see many people have replaced the step or stepper motors in or above the valve bodies. Upon my research I can't find a step motor for a 2013 Quest.
Couple questions - has anyone had this issue or same dtc with a 2013 Quest? If so were you able to rectify it? Does anyone know the correct part number for the step motor? Now I'm wondering if maybe this transmission doesn't have a step motor. Maybe it needs the whole valve body replaced?
My plan for now is to bring it to the dealer for an estimate. My guess is they will say it needs a new transmission. I will then see if anything can be worked out as its about a year out of warranty and 19,000 miles over. Can't hurt to ask. If the dealer isn't flexible I'm going to drop the pan and valve body to see what if any step motor is in there and go from there.
I'm sure by reading this post you can tell I'm outside my wheelhouse on this. I'm a weekend warrior and have done my share of auto repairs, but nothing like this before.
Transmission valve body is 31705-1XE3D. Retails for almost 800 bucks. I don't mind throwing a 30 dollar step motor in it but am not about to gamble with an 800 part.
Advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
https://youtu.be/qsi-ZxPi3SU

Thanks for the reply.
I watched that video which helped a lot. Two things I'm not sure off still. Is that the same cvt as the Quest and would it be the same step motor part number?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Didn't Nissan extend the warranty on these CVTs?

I read somewhere that it didn't apply to a 2013 Quest and the extension ended 5/19/19 or something like that. Thanks for the reply.

Another reason why I think manufacturers are screwing us over with not selling manual transmission vehicles in the USA is so that we will have to buy a new car every few years.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
https://www.valerolaw.com/news/2018/8/31/nissan-cvt-warranty-extension

And then there's this.

Almost comical in how Nissan worded it. Never once admitting there is an issue. They're doing it because owners expressed concerns. I think not! At some point or another all mfgs. are faced with this so I'm not picking on Nissan. It's how they word it that cracks me up.

Good luck OP. Show the dealership the article, or go directly to corporate and state your case for your in-laws. I'd go that route if I were you. Skip the estimate and the "diagnostic fee" they'll most likely be billing you for.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote Nissan: On behalf of everyone at Nissan, we would like to thank you for choosing to drive a Nissan. One of the many technologically-advanced features of your vehicle is the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), an innovative transmission that offers smooth, seamless shifting, while tailoring the vehicle's output to your driving style.

While Nissan is proud to offer this technology on many of our models, a small percentage of owners of early models equipped with CVTs have expressed concerns about the cost of repair of their transmissions after the warranty expires. We take these comments about the cost of vehicle ownership seriously. We strive to provide an exceptional ownership experience and are implementing a thorough Customer Satisfaction Program to address this topic.

First, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to stop in at the dealer tomorrow and talk to the service manager. I guess I'll express my concerns on the cost to repair this transmission...that really is some creative writing. This is the second Quest they've purchased from this dealership. We'll see if that helps. I'll update this as soon as I have new info.

i am a manual guy but realize many like slush boxes especially in heavy local travel. i would NEVER buy a CVT as some manufacturers offer conventional automatics that are more reliable. my sis just got an 18 subie impreza + they also had issues + have extended some warranties as well. manufacturers love cheaper to make parts as long as they last until warranty is done then its your $$$. tranny work can cost near an engine job especially if your paying labor, good luck to all beta testers as IMO CVT's are not for the long run.

Yeah … Enterprise just blessed me with a Nissan Roach … CVT is just plain annoying

Just push the right pedal a bit harder 4wd
lol.gif

One thing I noticed about my 2015 Nissan Altima rental 2.5 with a CVT was that it was ALWAYS hunting for the highest gear ratio possible. I think that causes problems a lot.

My 08 Nissan Altima VQ CVT car does not do that foolishness. By the way.... Almost 270,000 miles.... No change in CVT fluid just yet btw....

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah … Enterprise just blessed me with a Nissan Roach … CVT is just plain annoying

I've grown to *not mind* my Corollas CVT. This is coming from 14 years of Civic SI driving with a manual. Now I'm old and just want gas mileage during my moderate length commute. It actually responds well. It's just that the engine in a Corolla has NO power. I definitely don't miss the manual when traffic gets heavy. My left leg used to get tired lol

Here's the update...I went to my local Nissan dealer and explained the transmission problem and also how I've read about Nissans CVT issues. As I was explaining things I could tell he could care less. The service guy basically told me to call Nissan corporate and was even nice enough to write the number down... I felt it was worth the gamble to order the stepper motor off ebay. The parts plus fluid was probably about 100.00 . Less if I used fluid other than Nissan. I told my in-laws it would take about a week for the part to come in. The next thing I know they made a deal at the local Hyundai dealer to trade the Quest for a Tucson. The dealer offered them 2500 for the Quest. They lost alot of money but they didn't want to fool around I guess. Bottom line is they are happy and that's what matters.
A 2013 Quest with 79,000 miles on it had air conditioning break twice in the past year and now a CVT issue. I guess I'm asking too much for cars to last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back