2013 Nissan Altima Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family took a trip to Disney. Traveling from Eastern Pennsylvania, we rented a 2013 Nissan Altima S with the 4 cylinder engine. With three young kids in the back seat, and a fully loaded trunk, we set out for our vacation. The following is my evaluation of the car:

Exterior:

I could take it or leave it. Not necessarily a stimulating car to look at but generally par for the segment.

Interior:

While many people complain about the plastic dashes, it didn't bother me as it seems to be put together well. Some minor annoyances were a head rest that we simply couldn't adjust to make it comfortable and a plastic driver seat guard that routinely scratched me while I was driving. Overall, i thought the dash flowed well and i had no complaints.

Drivetrain:

If I didn't know anything about the car, and I didn't look under the hood, i would probably believe there was a 6 cylinder under the hood. The engine and CVT are perfectly mated for smooth, seamless operation and efficiency (which I will get to later). While the engine did sound a bit coarse when significant load was applied, I thought the 4 cylinder worked very well. One very annoying thing was a low groan experienced while driving at low speeds. It sounded like I was driving a manual transmission vehicle while attempting to pull from a light in 3rd gear. It was a lugging sound that was very prominent up to 45 mph or so. Very disappointing.

Efficiency:

This is where this thing shines. On my first full tank of gas, i drove from Eastern Pennsylvania to Charleston, South Carolina.....without refueling. 701 miles on one tank of gas and the computer said i had 40 miles worth of gas left. Worked out to be 38.5 mpg with 5 people in the passenger compartment and a trunk overloaded....not to mention driving 75 mph with the air conditioner on. This thing is a road trip machine. Absolutely incredible.

Summary:

Both my wife and I have the same conclusion: we wouldn't want to own one but we would definitely want one for our next road trip. Being able to travel over 700 miles on a tank of gas is invaluable. Unfortunately, the persistent low groan always present at low speeds would keep this out of my garage. If Nissan would fix that problem, I definitely could see myself owning one of these.

Last edited:
What is the RPM when the groaning is happening? My parents CRV tries to hold high gears at low RPM and gets a bit grumbley. I was surprised to find that the dual mass flywheel on my focus allows 1500 RPM acceleration without any extra noise or vibration. Maybe these CVT transmissions need a dual mass flywheel as well?
Great mileage though for a big car.

Some people like super long distance with 1 tank of gas, but I think sitting in a vehicle without stop every 3-4 hours isn't very relaxing.

When I was traveling medium distance of 200-400 miles I always stopped at least once and that stop is usually at a gas station or a fast food join to go to bathroom, and usually filled up at the same stop.

Gas mileage at 38-40 MPG at 75 MPH is very good for fully load midsize sedan.

A car with a CVT definitely takes getting used to as I found with my Ford Five Hundred AWD . With the 3.0 duratec V6 it gives me a bit better than 30 mpg with 75% hwy and 25% city on my daily commute . That calculation is in imperial gallons so likely about 27mpg US which is pretty good for a full size AWD vehicle . It's no rocket for power but it makes up for it with comfort and a really nice ride .

Don't know what that low speed rumble would be , have you done any research on line to see if it's a common problem ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Some people like super long distance with 1 tank of gas, but I think sitting in a vehicle without stop every 3-4 hours isn't very relaxing.

When I was traveling medium distance of 200-400 miles I always stopped at least once and that stop is usually at a gas station or a fast food join to go to bathroom, and usually filled up at the same stop.

I like the ability to not need to fill up, but I wouldnt want to drive 701 miles without stopping either. Likely not healthy...

I always stopped at least once and that stop is usually at a gas station or a fast food join to go to bathroom, and usually filled up at the same stop.

Yep, fill one tank, empty the other.
laugh.gif

The best way of making time, when traveling with young children, is to travel when they are asleep (at night). That's where it is beneficial to stay on the interstate as long as possible without getting off. The groan or shudder takes place at varying RPM's but lessens as you reach speeds greater than 45 mph.

I don't care much for traveling at off hours anymore. We got a cheap DVD player for the kids, that and iPods mean they are content for hours. These days it's me who wants to stop, not them.

Longest I've managed in the seat was abou six hours. Had to be about 500 miles if not more. Boy was I glad to stop, but I didn't look forward to the second leg. I like the large tank for weekly driving, cut down on the fiilups during the week, but I agree, stopping every 2-3 hours can be really nice.

That is great range for a gas car. We always take the wife's 03 TDI on road trips. We always stop long before it needs to. Many trips are single tank round trip. That doesn't mean we can pass up a dairy queen. (none where we live)

I've liked the Altima since I bought mine in '04. I don't particularly like some of the cost cutting areas but, I can live with it! I love owning/driving this car, even 9 years later
smile.gif

I read the Edmunds online comparing the Mazda6, Accord and Altima.
http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/altima/2013/comparison-test.html

It was nice to see that in this particular test that, the Altima came out on top instead of the other two which seem to flip/flop depending on the magazine/web site. This particular Altima in the Edmunds test also got very good MPG overall. Nice to see!

The engine groan in the Altima with the CVT has been an issue since Nissan went to CVT's with the 2007 Altima. Honda it's said, does CVT's better with much less/none engine groan.

Last edited:
The noise is the ONLY thing that would stop me from buying one or recommending that a friend by one. If I was sure the groaning or shuddering noise wouldn't lead to a later mechanical issue which would cost me money, i may change my mind on the issue, but it is to prevalent to merely dismiss.

The nice thing is that having a tank that goes that long means you don't have to stop at a gas station. Most rest areas are far, far more efficient ways to stretch your legs because you don't have to deal with stop lights and traffic and all that.

A big tank would be nice for being able to buy gas on the "cheap" days. Purely natural market conditions create 10% swings in price here during the week....
So being able to squeeze a couple more days out a tank allows you to buy in the dips and saves more money than the fuel economy penalty of lugging a huge tank around.

I don't like too big of a tank (which with its high mpg I think the Altima's tank is too big) because I tend to fill up a near empty (never much below a 1/4-1/8, to keep the fuel pump cooled) waiting and hoping to get the best price with the least top ups.

Psychologically, $60-70 fill ups is no good.

Where a big tank and long range is driving across country on I40 west of Oklahoma or especially I10 west of San Antonio at night lol. Pass up one or two of the few available and obscure open gas stations and you could very well run out of gas before the next one. A 700 mile range tank should be able to take you from one major city to the next even out west.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I don't like too big of a tank (which with its high mpg I think the Altima's tank is too big) because I tend to fill up a near empty (never much below a 1/4-1/8, to keep the fuel pump cooled) waiting and hoping to get the best price with the least top ups.

Psychologically, $60-70 fill ups is no good.

Where a big tank and long range is driving across country on I40 west of Oklahoma or especially I10 west of San Antonio at night lol. Pass up one or two of the few available and obscure open gas stations and you could very well run out of gas before the next one. A 700 mile range tank should be able to take you from one major city to the next even out west.

The new '13 Altima gas tank is 18 gallons. My '04 2.5S is at 20 gallons. I on the other hand like a large tank but, my EPA MPG(c:23/h:29) is nowhere as good a the new vehicles in this class. Although, I can typicaly do better than my EPA rating at around c:25-26/h:31-32, it can also vary from tank to tank as well
frown.gif

I noticed the groaning when riding with a coworker who test drove a few Sentras.

The CVT has a bad habit of holding the engine at the EXACT rpm needed to create a resonance throughout the whole car.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I noticed the groaning when riding with a coworker who test drove a few Sentras.

The CVT has a bad habit of holding the engine at the EXACT rpm needed to create a resonance throughout the whole car.

Yeah, that's something that Nissan needs to work on. Seems that Honda did a nice job with this in the new Accord CVT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back