2013 Kia Rio starter

Greetings oil men. My wife's starter failed on her 2013 Kia Rio. The availability and prices are all over the place. I want new and don't want to compromise on quality. Napa has one for $246. Ebay ranges from $77 to over $300 for claimed oem. The oem I have failed after only 135K miles, mostly highway. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Nibbana

MANDO 12A1365 Original Equipment at Rock Auto 123.79

VALEO 600212 STARTER 128.79 also at Rock Auto both without stop/start option

I believe both mfg supply parts to Kia Hyundai

I wonder if the stop/start one would be heavier duty to deal with more repeated restarts. .9 vs 1.4kw...wonder if it is a drop-in upgrade?

Does the vehicle have start/stop? If not, I'd consider a used salvage yard part over ANY non-oe aftermarket part. Obviously, OE suppliers will give you an OE quality starter that'll last you another 11 years/135k miles again. By then, you might buy her a new car...

I agree on used oem. I did exactly that and no regrets. LQK comes to mind. Probably 50-60 dollar range .

Good question about stop/start vs non and interchange compatability. Photos of both look very similar

Do you know why the starter failed. Sometimes its just the brushes that wear out. If you look at the pictures on rock auto for the mando starter it has a valeo solenoid on it. Also the mando and valeo look like they are both made in korea so they are probably pretty comparable

Mando was very common on the hyundais I serviced.
I wonder if the stop/start one would be heavier duty to deal with more repeated restarts. .9 vs 1.4kw...wonder if it is a drop-in upgrade?

Does the vehicle have start/stop? If not, I'd consider a used salvage yard part over ANY non-oe aftermarket part. Obviously, OE suppliers will give you an OE quality starter that'll last you another 11 years/135k miles again. By then, you might buy her a new car...

According to hyundai yes. the S/S versions are designed for 205k starts vs 50k starts on a regular starter. Beefed up everything....

edit 250k i meant

Last edited:

Thanks Greasy. The vehicle does not have the start/stop option. "By then, you might buy her a new car..." If she needs one. My daily driver is her old 2007 Chevy aveo with 247k miles. Still running like a champ.

Do you know why the starter failed. Sometimes its just the brushes that wear out. If you look at the pictures on rock auto for the mando starter it has a valeo solenoid on it. Also the mando and valeo look like they are both made in korea so they are probably pretty comparable
Thanks Joe. If it was mine, I'd probably look into changing the selanoid and brushes and lube things up. But she does some long trips occasionaly and would feel better with new in there.

Back