2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 5K MILES 20W50 Motorcraft oil

Quick question. if the engine has a lifter problem or ticking noise will it show up on UOA?
Typically no, not unless something is coming apart and even then you might only get a tiny uptick in iron if the particles are large enough to not get picked up by spectrography.

Quick question. if the engine has a lifter problem or ticking noise will it show up on UOA?
It's not uncommon for LS engines with afm/dod to have lifter problems like: sticking, turning sideways, roller stops rolling. Other problems include bent push rod and broken valve spring. UOA will indicate some of these. Many folks do an AFM/DOD delete by installing a new cam, lifters, trays, valley cover, and tune that removes the AFM/DOD in the software.

It's not uncommon for LS engines with afm/dod to have lifter problems like: sticking, turning sideways, roller stops rolling. Other problems include bent push rod and broken valve spring. UOA will indicate some of these. Many folks do an AFM/DOD delete by installing a new cam, lifters, trays, valley cover, and tune that removes the AFM/DOD in the software.
I installed long headers recently and started to notice ticking noise with load not rpm.
I was confused but after researching for a bit, i think it could be a leak from the headers.
And yes the truck doesn’t have afm from factory and never went into v4 mode.

Back