2013 equinox 2.4 dip stick reading thats has me ?

120k Mobil 1 oil since new 5k changes. Changed oil 2k ago checked oil full , drove 250 miles highway 70-75 mph checked oil stick no oil after 20 minutes sitting. Checked again 30 minutes oil on the tip, after two hours 2 of 4 lines up, 10 hours 3 of 4 lines up. Drove 30 minutes city 1 of 4 lines up , 4 hours 3 of 4 line up. Never in 56 years of driving have ever seen this. If this was 50 years age I'd blame it on sludge in valve cover. Never with synthetic oil.

I had a 2.2 ecotec, same block as the 2.4. Sometimes the oil level would slowly climb for hours after shut down.

I have an idea.....the cartridge style oil filter sits up high on the side of the block and above the oil galleries for the crankshaft. Perhaps with the crank stopped in the right position, the oil sometimes drains quickly to the sump and other times it is stuck there. Does the oil flow back through the oil pump at other times? It would be interesting to loosen the oil filter cap, during a time when there appears to be no oil in the sump, and see of the oil suddenly rises.

Back