2012 Prius “Check Hybrid System” after new engine installed

I had previously posted in the mechanical/maintenance forum regarding a head gasket problem on my friends 2012 Toyota Prius. Ultimately He ordered a reman engine from Hybridpit located in California. The engine arrived on Monday this past week and we finished installing it today. We got everything hooked up in the engine bay, put the plug back in for the hybrid battery, and hooked up the 12 V battery, but now there’s this error warning displaying on the center console.

“CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM”

The engine will not start and it will not go into drive or reverse. We can only put it into neutral. Is there some kind of a ECU flash or reprogram that has to happen now that a new engine is installed in the vehicle? The hybrid system battery shows it’s approximately 75% charged and the 12 V battery measured 12.5 V. The 12v battery has a 2022 manufacture date code. I know very little about Toyota Prius hybrids aside from most of them going 300 to 400,000 miles without having a major problem. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also, the car has been sitting in my garage for a month since we first disconnected the hybrid system and 12 volt batteries.

Haven’t put the wiper arm cowl back in. We wanted to get the engine running first and get the thermostat open so that we could add coolant if needed.

Here is the link to the previous post regarding the head gasket and suspected excessive piston skirt wear.

IMG_3872.jpeg

IMG_3873.jpeg

IMG_3875.jpeg

The orange "Grenade Pin" safety for the HV battery, is it exactly perfectly reinstalled? It has to also trigger a microswitch.

Back