2012 Nissan Versa doors lock by themselves

It's happened so often that I just carry a second key with me whenever I go anywhere with it. Just yesterday I took the car to my photo spot, left the key in the ignition and got out to take pictures and when I tried to open the door it was locked. It happens if the car is running or not, keys in the ignition or not. The owners manual mentions Automatic Door Locks but that's just when the car reaches 15 mph. Anybody have a similar problem with a Nissan?

It's happened so often that I just carry a second key with me whenever I go anywhere with it. Just yesterday I took the car to my photo spot, left the key in the ignition and got out to take pictures and when I tried to open the door it was locked. It happens if the car is running or not, keys in the ignition or not. The owners manual mentions Automatic Door Locks but that's just when the car reaches 15 mph. Anybody have a similar problem with a Nissan?

Should we look forward to a picture of it in front of that house you've made infamous on here? LOOOOOL!

I'd call the dealer, see if there's a TSB on this.

On our 2015 PathFinder if you take the key with you and the engine is running, it will not automatically lock, but if the key is inside the car, it will lock.

The Body Computer can be re-programmed to not do this for a large dealer fee.

Does it auto lock under other circumstances?

Will it do the scenario you describe every time?

Sorry if I missed it, but is the key separate from the FOB?

FWIW, my 2015 Versa 1.6s base model doesn't have power locks and uses a basic $2-3 key.

Does it auto lock under other circumstances?

Will it do the scenario you describe every time?

Sorry if I missed it, but is the key separate from the FOB?

FWIW, my 2015 Versa 1.6s base model doesn't have power locks and uses a basic $2-3 key.
Also auto locks when you hit 15 mph like it's supposed to.
Pretty much.
No, integrated.

Just made these two emergency wallets keys on the left in case no solution is found. Reading online, this seems to be common with Nissans.

large.jpg

Have you tried disabling the auto lock feature to see if this does anything?

It's one of the first things I did with my 2019 Pathfinder and previous 2016 Nissan Quest minivan. I figure it's less cycling on the actuators, etc.

You can't do this process from any of the menus and it's usually not in the owner's manual. It's a series of magical button pushing. I found the process online.

My ‘96 Maxima does this, the doors will spontaneously lock at random. Sometimes while driving, sometimes when the car is sitting unused. I’ve always figured it was the body control module flaking out, but in several years it hasn’t gotten any better or worse.

Fortunately one of the actuators in the rear doesn’t work, so there is always that door open if it happens to lock while I’m outside the car with the keys inside. That’s assuming I don’t drive into shady areas where I have to lock that door, but that’s a very rare occasion.

My ‘96 Maxima does this, the doors will spontaneously lock at random. Sometimes while driving, sometimes when the car is sitting unused. I’ve always figured it was the body control module flaking out, but in several years it hasn’t gotten any better or worse.

Fortunately one of the actuators in the rear doesn’t work, so there is always that door open if it happens to lock while I’m outside the car with the keys inside. That’s assuming I don’t drive into shady areas where I have to lock that door, but that’s a very rare occasion.
Funny you mention that my 94 Honda Accord does the same thing, it is an old school power locks no key fob or remote the doors are locked by using the key if you are outside of the car. For a long time it would spontaneously try and lock for about 20 seconds or so, multiple times and then stop, no obvious reason why....Luckily in this car unless you use the key the drives door will NOT lock designed this way too.

Why not just take the keys with you? Problem solved.

Had a 90s Pathfinder that did this every time the door closed. It was like when it latched that triggered the door locks. And if you were inside it and hit unlock and pulled on the door handle they'd relock when you pulled the handle. It was a huge pain. Wonder if it's the same issue 🤷‍♂️

My 2018 Rogue does a really weird thing. Sometimes when I get out and close the door the driver's door will lock. The other three doors remain unlocked. This will happen maybe once a month or two. This really didn't concern me enough to take it to the dealer while it was still under warranty.

Because sometimes you have to leave the engine running when checking something under the hood.
I use a little swivel clasp. I have my ignition key on a key ring and then attach the clasps to that ring, on the other end is the fob, house keys etc... then if I need to get back into the house quick I can leave the car running but take the fob and keys with me.

My old 99 LeSabre did this but it had a 3rd party remote start so I always blamed it on that :)

Back