Does anyone make ignition lock cylinders that accept a door key on a mid 1990's GM?

1995 Buick Skylark. Instead of having 2 keys I want one key, most likely the door key, to fit all the locks on the car. Kind of like fleet or police service. I've done that on quite a few 80's GM cars before they switched to the newer style ignition locks since you can buy the ignition cylinders that will take door keys.

key.JPG

IIRC, if you buy the cylinder from stealership, it does not come with the pin for the keys setup.
You need to also buy the pins if you don't have it or move the pin from you old cylinder.

.... since you can buy the ignition cylinders that will take door keys.
Interesting, that probably explains the old car I had where the square "ignition" key worked in the doors also, and only the trunk used the round key. I kind of liked it that way.

Interesting, that probably explains the old car I had where the square "ignition" key worked in the doors also, and only the trunk used the round key. I kind of liked it that way.
On beaters I pull all the pins, reasoning very few will ever think to try to start it without a key plus "who the hel would steal THAT???"

It's common on the mid '90s Hondas to have to remove some of the pins because the ignition will get really "sticky" from pins that don't fully retract even when the key is in place.

Examples like the Hondas are even better because the cylinder is "flush" with the column so you kinda HAVE TO have a key to even try to turn it ----- as opposed to the old Fords and GM that provided two wings to try to turn even if no key was present.

Examples like the Hondas are even better because the cylinder is "flush" with the column so you kinda HAVE TO have a key to even try to turn it

Can probably use a screwdriver.

Based on what I've seen on COPS episodes, don't get pulled over driving a car with no key in the ignition switch. It doesn't go well.

Back