2012 KTM 500EXC Maintenance

I just bought a 12 KTM 500 EXC. only has 25 hrs / 1100km on the bike.

I ride solo in secluded areas so reliability is high on my priority list. I want to start off by getting the maintenance up to date. I know it was barely used but it is a 10 year old bike and things do deteriorate over time.

I’m thinking for sure:
Coolant change
Brake and clutch fluid change

What about:
Clutch master and slave rebuild?
Rad hose replacement?

What’s your thoughts?

Not sure if I would start rebuilding things unless you are starting to experience issues. I would definitely change all fluids, filters, and refresh ignition components. It sounds like the bike sat a lot, so I'd be looking at hoses and anything rubber that might have deteriorated over time. Anything that sits also has the potential for rodents to get into it, so it wouldn't hurt to just look over the wiring you can see and check for any damaged wires that could possibly break or short out.

Thanks Jeepman, can you elaborate on “refresh ignition components” ?

Other than spark plug what items?

I suggest that you get new tires. 10yr old tires can be dried out, hard and have micro cracks / dry rot. They may look ok on the surface, but at best be a point of failure and at worst be a safety concern. Hard tires in the rain can lose traction and lead to a crash.

I suggest that you get new tires. 10yr old tires can be dried out, hard and have micro cracks / dry rot. They may look ok on the surface, but at best be a point of failure and at worst be a safety concern. Hard tires in the rain can lose traction and lead to a crash.
Good point, I hadn't really thought of that.

more importantly - heavy duty tubes - and put sealant in them....tractor tire sealant ;)

if you are in a rocky area then you need to armor up as well - bash plate n rad guards

more importantly - heavy duty tubes - and put sealant in them....tractor tire sealant ;)

if you are in a rocky area then you need to armor up as well - bash plate n rad guards

Debating going with a tubliss setup...

Change all the fluids and replace parts that have aged out: grips, tires, etc. Possibly hoses and fork seals, depending how long it sat unridden and how it was stored. Anyway change the fluids and ride it regularly for a while and see if any issues arise, then you will know what other work needs to be done. My 1984 XR500R ran awesome for 10 years on 80% factory original parts, and it sat for a very long time before I bought it... so I would not rebuild or replace components that are in serviceable condition simply because of age.

Oem rad hose now adays are EDPM rubber, they will last 20 years. Mechanic shop in my area, said you see that empty sealing, used to be full of rad hoses, they just arent needed now a days.

Having said that EDPM rubber hates oil, so when your 2012 500 leaks oil in the water circuit, it will soften and swell those EDPM rubber hoses.
not a huge issue, but something that will happen.

Oem rad hose now adays are EDPM rubber, they will last 20 years. Mechanic shop in my area, said you see that empty sealing, used to be full of rad hoses, they just arent needed now a days.

Having said that EDPM rubber hates oil, so when your 2012 500 leaks oil in the water circuit, it will soften and swell those EDPM rubber hoses.
not a huge issue, but something that will happen.
Funny you mention that. As seen earlier in the tread I replace all the hoses with silicon hoses by Samco. The material quality seems very good but the fitment was terrible. So bad that I couldn’t stand it anymore and ordered the 3 OEM hoses that attach to the thermostat yesterday.

I have some wiring work completed but not a lot. I was away for work for a couple weeks and now I’m away on vacation for two weeks so no updates for a bit yet.

Funny you mention that. As seen earlier in the tread I replace all the hoses with silicon hoses by Samco. The material quality seems very good but the fitment was terrible. So bad that I couldn’t stand it anymore and ordered the 3 OEM hoses that attach to the thermostat yesterday.

I have some wiring work completed but not a lot. I was away for work for a couple weeks and now I’m away on vacation for two weeks so no updates for a bit yet.
I have a Samco T fitting to install sometime in the future, not sure if I wait till the next top end, easier to get it out.

Yeah the oem are not too expensive, just not the bling colors

I have a Samco T fitting to install sometime in the future, not sure if I wait till the next top end, easier to get it out.

Yeah the oem are not too expensive, just not the bling colors
The T pipe from Samco seems like a nice piece and fits good. Actually all the Samco hoses were a good fit except the 3 that attach to the thermostat.

Back