2012 Hyundai Sonata Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,

First time poster. Kinda overwhelmed by the amount of info there is on this site.

Some background info first:

1. 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS with approx 88600 km on it.

2. Manual recommends I use Quaker State 5w20 (4.86 US qt. (4.6 l)) with specifications API Service SM*3, ILSAC GF-4 or above EVERY 3,750 MILES (6,000 KM) OR 6 MONTHS

3. Location: Montreal, Canada

4. I drive normal speeds, try not to speed, cruise on highway etc.

5. Daily drive is short, near the home/errands/pickup and drop off etc. I work from home so I don't have to drive into the office.

6. No known issues with the car

Since I got the car, I've only done oil changes with the Quaker State Ultimate Durability Synthetic Motor Oil 5w20.
I'm finding it harder and harder to find this oil locally on sale or even at regular prices.

Was wondering if you guys have any recommended alternatives? Is it ok to use a non manual recommended oil, as long as it meets those specs?

Was thinking of switching to the yellow bottle Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Motor Oil, any good or better than the Quaker State version?

Thanks in advance.

My 2011 Sonata manual recommends 3 grades.

5w20, 5w30, and 10w30.

In my climate I have been using 5w30 Valvoline Maxlife.

Also the oil level has been raised in this vehicle if you have the orange dipstick. The orange dipstick, you get 5.25 quarts.

Does your engine use any oil, or does it smell like fuel? Does the engine ping? Mine smells like fuel, but consumption was reduced to nothing when going to 5w30 maxlife.

I think in Quebec you would be well served with 5w30 Maxlife syn-blend.

I am considering 10w30 Maxlife synblend for the upcoming Texas summer.

I think you have information overload and start over thinking.

Any reputable brand (Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil, QS, etc) at the same viscosity of 5w-20 are good or some even use 5w-30.

I don't think the car will know which brand, as a note, they are not human.
Whatever is easier to purchase in your area.

Last edited:
I've been running QS and Shell 5W20 synthetic with an OEM filter for 3,750 intervals for 6 years with no issues.

However, I am also having problems finding these oils at a discounted prices.

The Quaker State recommendation is marketing. My Kia recommends QS and my Hyundai recommends Shell.

Switched to Mobil 1 5W20. With discounts and rebates, this oil can be cost effective. No issues, and is probably a better quality oil.

Originally Posted By: knerml
I've been running QS and Shell 5W20 synthetic with an OEM filter for 3,750 intervals for 6 years with no issues.

You're lucky, at least you're in the States. Walmart seems to have deals all the time on the QS 5w20 for around 18-21$. I live in Quebec, we get killed on taxes. I'm looking at ~50$ for a 5L jug. If I'm lucky and it goes on sale, maybe 30ish$, but it's sold out so fast.

I've gotten lucky in the past and crossed into Vermont and loaded up when there was stock. Finally ran out.

I think I'm going to try out the Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic, seems to get high praise everywhere.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinum is considered a step up from QSUD in Shell's product hierarchy. It's made with GTL base stocks and has better detergency than QSUD...although someone here has posted recently that QSUD is now using GTL base stocks as of October 2016...I don't know. Like has been said...don't overthink it.

There would be zero issues with running Platinum in whatever grade you decide on. I wouldn't take "recommended" in the manual too literally versus what is specified. I've only used PP and QSUD in my 2013 Accent and both have been excellent.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
There would be zero issues with running Platinum in whatever grade you decide on. I wouldn't take "recommended" in the manual too literally versus what is specified. I've only used PP and QSUD in my 2013 Accent and both have been excellent.

Thanks for the input, I'll give PP a go.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Does your engine use any oil, or does it smell like fuel? Does the engine ping? Mine smells like fuel, but consumption was reduced to nothing when going to 5w30 maxlife.

Engine sounds normal, no pinging sounds. Smell seems normal. It's not doing anything out of the ordinary.
Should I be using a different viscosity oil in the winter as compared to the summer? Canadian winters can get pretty brutal.

Originally Posted By: balla786
Originally Posted By: knerml

You're lucky, at least you're in the States. Walmart seems to have deals all the time on the QS 5w20 for around 18-21$. I live in Quebec, we get killed on taxes. I'm looking at ~50$ for a 5L jug. If I'm lucky and it goes on sale, maybe 30ish$, but it's sold out so fast.

I've gotten lucky in the past and crossed into Vermont and loaded up when there was stock. Finally ran out.

I think I'm going to try out the Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic, seems to get high praise everywhere.

Pennzoil platinum is good and always available at Canadian tire at least in Ontario. It normally goes on sale every few months, so keep an eye out on the flyer. In Ontario the price is normally swtiched for a sale on Thursday nights, even though the sale starts on Friday according to the Flyers.

Originally Posted By: balla786
Originally Posted By: JustinH

Engine sounds normal, no pinging sounds. Smell seems normal. It's not doing anything out of the ordinary.
Should I be using a different viscosity oil in the winter as compared to the summer? Canadian winters can get pretty brutal.

Any full synthetic oil from a major brand like Pennzoil or Mobil1 (and others) would be fine. As for the grade, I would go with a 0W-30 oil since you are in Canada and have short drives.

Which engine do you have?
If you have the normal 2.4L then the above grade would be fine.
If you have the 2.0L turbo engine, then you need to step up to a 0W-40 or 5W-40 full synthetic.

Since both of these engines are GDI (Gas Direct Injection), keep your oil change interval (OCI) to under 5K miles year-round.
That would be my recommendation.

My Hyundai fill cap has 5w-20 and book recommends Quaker State.
So I been using 5w-30 PYB, OEM filter, 5k OCIs. I don't have to add during the fill. 123k on the clock.

[/quote]

I think I'm going to try out the Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic, seems to get high praise everywhere. [/quote]

Sorry to hear this.

I am unhappy if I pay more than US$4/qt

QSUD is an excellent full syn oil but if I was going to make a change I would go to Valvoline Maxlife full syn and see how that works for you. I current am running it in a few vehicles and it seems to be work great... Engines are running very smooth and quiet on full syn Maxlife. You could also try the red bottle semi syn Maxlife.

If you're doing the 3750 mile or 6 mo OCI's then any quality brand name conventional or synthetic blend 5W-20 oil will more than meet your needs at a lower cost than a synthetic. Unless Hyundai specifies to use only synthetic oil for the 3750 mi oil change intervals.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back