2012 Civic is it a bad idea to buy one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2024
Rule of thumb is to never buy a vehicle in the first year or two of a new generation. But I wondered if the new Civic applied in this case, seeing how it is more of a refresh then anything else. I believe the economy feature was tested in the crz, and the engine/tranny is a carry over from the previous gen. So would the wait a year or two rule apply to the 12 Civic in everyones opinion?

Last edited:
Nah. As long as the previous generation trans/engine combo didn't have a bunch of problems and they didn't change anything there's no reason to wait.

Buy a Chevy Cruze. It bests all the others in it's class easily in almost every review I've seen lately. There was a very good article on Autoblog Monday calling the Cruze remarkable!!!

No, but drive a Cruze, Focus and Mazda3 before you buy.

Civic R series engine, automatic... all carryovers.

Last edited:
I must admit, although I am not a GM fan the Cruze is a sharp looking car, in certain colors. But Id buy a new Focus, or Civic first.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Cruze is a nice ride - but if good fuel economy is high on your list of priorities, buy the Civic.

Huh? Isnt the cruze rated at 42 MPG in some trims? What is the civic's rating?

The Civic has a proven record. The Cruze is still fairly new. I remember buying a Focus when it first came out. Now that was a big mistake. I hear its much better now though so I would consider the Civic first and then the Focus. The looks on all these cars are a matter of taste. Personally I don't care for the looks of the Cruze while the Focus is actually very appealing. But if proven reliability and performance are the main factors my vote is for the Civic.

The Civic has been one of the best little cars you could buy for like the past 20+ years, so why would that change now?

If you like it, buy it, its a Honda.

Cruze has been out in Europe for 2 years before making its debut here. It is not an unproven commodity.
Cruze 33 city 51 highway with 1.4 litre turbo. Civic 33 city 50 highway. Both with Automatic transmission.
Read some reviews and drive the cars. The Ford Focus is another one to add to you list as JavierG had suggested.

I've been burned by GM. Even though I really like the looks of the Cruze I'm really leary of the 1.4 with the turbo being integral with the exhaust manifold.

Originally Posted By: Beagle2000
Cruze has been out in Europe for 2 years before making its debut here. It is not an unproven commodity.
Cruze 33 city 51 highway with 1.4 litre turbo. Civic 33 city 50 highway. Both with Automatic transmission.
Read some reviews and drive the cars. The Ford Focus is another one to add to you list as JavierG had suggested.

+1.

The ignorance and bias of some posters in this thread is remarkable.

overpriced! you can look at other cars with more equipment for a lot less... Honda's quality is not what it was...20 years ago we rarely saw a honda engine here for a rebuild these days we see many of them...

The "new" Civic is hardly a quantum leap from the previous model...more a "freshening" with a little more interior room, quieter ride and some tweaks to the engine and transmission to boost fuel economy a little. On the down side, many reviewers claim that that car has been "dumbed down" with a softer ride and slower steering compared to the previous generation. At any rate, it's enough "known" to pretty much guarantee that it should be reliable and economical for the long run (I personally wouldn't touch the new Focus with the dual clutch "auto" trans until Ford gets that thing straightened out...too many problems...otherwise great car though).

A week ago I would have said to go for a 2012 Hyundai Accent, as it offers a lot more value for the money than the Civic. But after picking up my used 2006 Civic today, and seeing how solid this car drives even with 79k on the clock, I've got a newfound respect for Honda once again. I don't believe their quality has gone down at all, this 2006 is built a lot better than the 2000 Civic I bought new in 1999!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back