2012 Chrysler 300 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our CR-V has a boo-boo (someone pulled out in front of me on a busy road), so while its at the body shop, we have a 2012 Chrysler 300 as a rental.

This is clearly a very nice car. The structure is tight as a drum with no squeaks or rattles. The quality of the interior materials are generally pretty good as well. I will highlight my likes and dislikes below.

1. There is a lot to like about this car, and first off with me is the engine. The 3.6L V-6 has a lot of power, especially when revved up. It charges strong to its 6,500 rpm redline and has a very lusty sound when doing so. Cheers to Chrysler on this excellent motor. I couldn't tell if it had the ticking. It was generally pretty loud idling, but it sounded more like injector noise or general mechanical din.

2. Interior is very good. Ours has the "Lux Leather". I'm not sure if it's real or fake leather, but it's very comfortable in either case. The infotainment system is very easy to use. It was a snap to pair my phone to the car and to make and receive calls. Sound quality was fair. There were some decidedly cheap parts in the interior. The sunglasses holder and the small cover that hides the bin below the radio felt very cheap. These are pieces you would presumably use often, so I think they need to be made to have a higher quality feel than they do.

3. Exterior styling is very nice. It has an appropriate amount of brightwork on the outside. Ours is in a bright white, and it looks very sharp in this color.

4. The underside is impressive. Most everything is hidden behind an airflow tray and, for the first time I've seen this, all the trays were covered in a carpet-like material, ostensibly for acoustical purposes. Very nice touch. The exhaust (2 into 1, back into 2) also appears to be high quality and is of a decent size.

Dislikes

1. I'm really trying hard to like the 8-speed transmission, but I can't. I've put a few hundred miles on it in the last few days, but I can't get into it. The programming is decidedly "economy". If you pull the electronic shifter down to L, it'll hold gears MUCH longer, but also won't upshift when you need it to. It'll ride around the neighborhood in 2nd gear at 3,500 rpm. When in D mode, and driving normally, it upshifts constantly, and the engine rarely sees north of 2,000 rpm. It lugs the engine often at around 1,000 rpm and there's a booming resonance in the cabin from that. The 5-speed in my dad's Wrangler is much better tuned and is more livable. I'd be satisfied if they put paddle shifters in this car. As it is, there's no way to control all 8 forward speeds, and they're not doing what I'd like them to do, so I can't like it, as much as I want to.

2. The ride is patently smooth, and very quiet. But there's also some float, as if you're in a Lincoln Town Car with good shocks. It reminded me of my Camry; this would be an excellent car for the 40+ crowd, or for someone like a traveling salesman. Very smooth...just no enthusiasm behind the wheel. Isolation is either a plus or a minus, depending on who you are I guess.

3. These are two, but I combined them into one because they're minor. The backup camera is very low quality. My dad's Wrangler and our Acura both have better quality pictures from the BU camera. And the headlamp system on this car is poor. It uses HIR2 lamps in single projectors on each side, with a shutter that moves out of the way for high beam. This helps little; the upper cutoff is generally aimed at the horizon (where it should be for VOR lamps like these). Well, if I want bright light and flip the shutters, all I get is more light into the sky, above the projector's cutoff. I want more light ON THE ROAD, as most high beams do give. And with only around 1800 lumens on each side, that's pretty weak anyway. Our MDX has 1700 lumen high beams (HB3), and 1100 low beams (H11), and all four bulbs are on with high beams, so you get nearly 5600 lumens of forward light instead of 3600 lumens as in the Chrysler. Plus, the driver side shutter was broken anyway on this car (it didn't move). A quick Google search uncovered others with the problem, so that's something for 300 owners to keep an eye out for. But I wasn't impressed with the headlamps.

So, more likes than dislikes. It's a very well-sorted machine, and an excellent choice if you're looking for this type of car. I'd recommend it to anyone shopping for a traditional fullsize sedan and traditional fullsize sedan attributes.

Thank you, nice report. I wonder if the transmissipn, "learns" new driving and shifting patterns after a few thousand miles. Many other makes do. Thanks for taking the time to write this. How was the outward visibility? The smallish glass always kept me away from these cars. Otherwise I like them.

There are various updates for the trans depending on VIN#. Odds are the programming will be a bit of an ongoing project.

The new V6 is quite sprightly and returns great mileage for any full size sedan. I agree the factory ride is too squishy, but that's what the typical buyer actually wants.

There's always the SRT version for those who want some performance with their luxury....

I would rather take the similar Avenger and its styling over the warmed over Sebring body.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I would rather take the similar Avenger and its styling over the warmed over Sebring body.

He is talking about the 300 which is equivalent to the Charger
The 200 is the Avenger twin.

A rental will have the base suspension and glazed-donut tires...there's an available performance suspension with 18" or 20" wheels that I suspect is far less "float" and far more "enthusiastic". On my Magnum, driving it (R/T, 18" wheels) back to back with a base model (SXT with 17's) was night and day.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
How was the outward visibility? The smallish glass always kept me away from these cars. Otherwise I like them.

Oh yes...this aspect is FAR better than the previous generation in my opinion. I rented a 2006 or 7 base 300 and drive it to Ohio some years ago. The door sills on that car were about shoulder height for me...far too high to rest my elbow on it with any comfort. The branch chief at work has a similar year 300C and it's the same way, riding in the front or in the back.

The newer generation, or at least the 300, is much better in that respect. Or the seats are higher. Or something. The geometry is different and I can actually rest my elbow on the door sill.

I agree that the base 300 suspension is too soft and other models would likely be better (though this one had 225/60R18 tires). I really like the new Charger...I'd like to try one of those with the 20" wheel option and good suspension. I'll bet it's a night-and-day difference.

Thanks for that, your review means more than any so called expert that gets paid for good reviews. One note, your comparison to a Camry. As of 2012 that's all changed. They are very stiff, ruff riding rigid cars now. Target audience change to performance sedan I guess.

I rented one a few weeks back.

I agree with your review. The V6 was quite powerful. The transmission was lackluster.

My gripe was with the classic, American boat, handling. It leans a lot in hard cornering. Though it seems to grip well.

Having owned a 2012 300 since July, I can say I pretty much agree with your review with a few exceptions.

Transmission: Once the software "learns" the driver, the 8-speed is flawless with imperceptible shifts. It would seem that in a rental, the transmission is constantly going to be in "learn" mode and never be as smooth as it could be because it's continually trying to adjust to different drivers.

Ride quality: I'm old enough to actually remember when big American sedans really did "float," so I find the ride extremely well balanced between comfort and control. It's definitely a more supple ride than in my 07 300.

Head lights: I'm also old enough to remember that on vehicles with 4 headlights, the outer lights had both high and low beam filaments. It's long been a basic tenet of lighting that the last thing you want for good visibility way down the road is to flood the road directly in front of you with bright light. That's the main reason fog lights are wired to go off when you engage the high beams. Thus, I've never understood the modern trend to keep the low beams on in conjunction with the high beams. I found the headlights on my 300 to be aimed too high from the factory. Once they are aimed properly, the beam patten on high is perfect and gives an extremely long throw. And because my eyes are not adjusting to excessive brightness right in front of the car, it's easy to spot objects in the road all the way out to the beam's reach.

I have had both a 300 and Charger rental with the 3.6 and 8 speed transmission (coolest shifter ever!) and I was really impressed with the powertrain combo. It was smooth and quiet, in normal driving it had plenty of power even at low RPMs and when you wanted power it quickly downshifted and got moving. I also managed around 30 MPG on a highway trip. Impressive for such a large car! Before I drove it I was concerned the 8 speed would be "busy" but I was pleasantly surprised. I think it skips a lot of gears as you drive.

A must have option is the 8.4" touchscreen. It's beautiful and easy to use. I'd love to drive one with the Garmin Navigation.

Yes, the car does have a good amount grip. I'm sure it'd easily out-grip either of our two vehicles on the skidpad. But it does lean a lot, and transient maneuvers aren't very precise.

The transmission's shifts were very smooth. It wasn't clunky at all; you really couldn't feel the shifts, but you could feel the constant fluctuations in engine power as the engine keeps changing speed. I'd really enjoy the transmission if Chrysler would offer a "power" or "sport" mode, or would offer some type of manual cog control (paddles, a slap shifter, something). If they can put a +/- slap shifter in a 2012 Jeep Wrangler, they should be able to put one in a 300.

I think Chrysler could have really improved the lamps if they'd have put a conventional high beam segment in the front lamps where the LED bling lights are inboard of the low beams. They could integrate the LED DRLs into a strip or around the fog lamps as some other cars do, leaving the area that's largely taken up by the LED swooshes and turn signals free for a high beam segment. Very few headlamps use shutters in the low beam to activate the high beam, and I think there's a good reason for that. There are some, but they're not very numerous.

That said, as I said before, the headlamps were a rather minor quibble on an otherwise very nice large sedan.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Very few headlamps use shutters in the low beam to activate the high beam, and I think there's a good reason for that. There are some, but they're not very numerous.

Actually, all vehicles with Bi-Xenon projection headlights use this same set up. The HID bulb is fixed, and in a normal low-beam only projector, so is the shield that creates the low-beam cut off. On a Bi-Xenon lamp, the shutter is controlled by a solenoid and is moved out of the way, exposing the entire ellipsoidal reflector to the HID arc for high-beam. I think Chrysler's use of this sort of projector lamp with a halogen bulb is a first.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Actually, all vehicles with Bi-Xenon projection headlights use this same set up. The HID bulb is fixed, and in a normal low-beam only projector, so is the shield that creates the low-beam cut off. On a Bi-Xenon lamp, the shutter is controlled by a solenoid and is moved out of the way, exposing the entire ellipsoidal reflector to the HID arc for high-beam. I think Chrysler's use of this sort of projector lamp with a halogen bulb is a first.

Yes, there are some vehicles that do this...and as you said, they all use HID technology for the light sources so there's much more available light. I agree that Chrysler is likely the only one doing this with halogen projectors. They certainly knew that they needed to use something with more intensity than a typical HB4/H11 low beam. The HIR2 has more intensity, but doesn't quite get the job done in my opinion, at least compared to what I'm used to.

Compared to those old quad sealed beam setups of which you speak, yes, this is certainly an improvement.

Edit: I should also be fair and recognize again that the driver side shutter was inoperable, so it was stuck on low beam. So I'm probably not in a position to truly evaluate them anyway. I guess that raises a safety question...if/when these solenoids get sticky or otherwise inoperable, as was already the case on this certain one, you lose high beam operation until you either get the headlamp assembly replaced or the solenoid repaired. Another reason to use a dedicated high beam segment in my humble opinion. Inexpensive, simple, and very reliable.

Last edited:
After a few more days, I'm learning how to drive this car better. If I pull the shifter back to L and accelerate that way, it'll let the engine rev to 2,500 or 3,000 before shifting, and it's very responsive. Then, as I near cruising speed, I can tap it back to D and let it settle down to where it wants to be. It's the best analog to a "sport" shifting mode that I've found.

After a few hundred miles, my average economy is right at 23 mpg. EPA ratings are 19/23/31, so I'm getting right at the combined. We'll see if that changes over the next week. The estimate for the CR-V at the body shop is about $2,000 in damage, and I should have it back early next week.

The 300 has Firestone FR710 tires, in P225/60R18. I like them; they're quiet, they seem grippy enough, and they look good. They have a 520 treadwear rating, but are at least half-worn already with about 17,500 miles on them. If I had these on my car, I'd expect about 50,000 miles out of them given the treadwear rating (I usually get 100x the treadwear number in miles).

Ha! My 300 is on its sixth set of gumballs. 2 tons of sedan is going to wear the tires.

The economy is impressive. You'd think from all the Internet chatter that the Pentastar would blow up by now...

I'm still waiting for both of our Honda transmissions to explode...

Yes, the fuel economy is good. The transmission really lugs the engine around a lot, which certainly helps. If the transmission programming were a little "free-er" with the engine in terms of allowing engine speed to rise, I'm sure the economy would suffer.

This 8-speed is the closest analog I've seen to a CVT in a conventional transmission. During normal driving, engine speed won't vary but maybe 500 rpm...750 at the most. It certainly takes some getting used to. I'm coming around to it. I'd still like a "sport" mode.

I'd like to drive a Charger now. It would be more into what I'd be after in a sedan, if I were in the market for a sedan. The seats would likely have better bolstering (the 300's have little-to-none) and the ride would likely be better controlled.

Still, a very fine car, this 300.

I agree with the problems being over-hyped. By that logic, I should be on my 2nd 46RE in the Jeep and it should be slipping by now. OTOH, my original trans (added a shift kit at 120k) is still doing great and holding more than stock power (and I've worked it pretty hard, towed another Jeep on a trailer twice, about 11,300 combined).

Hokieyfyd, note that the base Charger still has the wallows as well IMO. I rented one recently in Texas for a 3 day weekend and it still had too soft of a setup for my taste.

Move up to a 5.7 engined model and you get DOZENS of upgrades to the suspension, brakes, and tires. It is a dramatic transformation. They should get the 8 speed ZF slushbox soon.

Then there's the SRT models which now have switchable shock damping on command!

The softer suspension, combined with the good fuel economy for such a big car, are tremendous pluses for me. I liked the look of the previous generation 300, but lost interest when all the bling-bling, gangsta-wannabe crowd embraced 'em so fast. Maybe this generation won't have that "endorsement."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back