2012 Chrysler 300 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Move up to a 5.7 engined model and you get DOZENS of upgrades to the suspension, brakes, and tires. It is a dramatic transformation.

I'd like to have that with the 3.6L. Maybe that's what the 300S is for.

I bought a base 300 in late October. I agree with your likes, but I bought this car for its smooth quiet ride and it goes around corners just fine for me. There is a re-programming TSB on this model. I'm going over the river and through the woods over Christmas and will give a more detailed review when I get back. I don't drive much at night anymore so I will have to pay more attention to the lights. Mine may need aiming also. So far it is doing exactly what I paid my money for so I'm happy with it. Neatest feature so far is the oil pressure/temp and trans temp in the DIC.

Do you know how the transmission is reprogrammed? Does it give more of a sporty attitude to the car? I do think the lamps on my rental are aimed too high, but they're not aimable without a very long and thin Philips screwdriver (that I don't have), so they will remain.

The trans is redone with a simple flash to the TCM module with a Scantool. But it is only applicable to very specific cars via
VIN #.

I don't know the headlight setups any more but on my old girl the headlights aim very easily (vertically only) and are then self leveling.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Do you know how the transmission is reprogrammed? Does it give more of a sporty attitude to the car? I do think the lamps on my rental are aimed too high, but they're not aimable without a very long and thin Philips screwdriver (that I don't have), so they will remain.

My VIN# was part of this reflash recall. I had it done and once the software "relearned" my driving style I can't tell any difference in before and after. The reflash was to correct a fault parameter setting (something to do with transmission overheat, I think), not change the shift characteristics.

Thanks for the objective review. It was very interesting reading. Indeed, the review was much better than I had anticipated!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
we have a 2012 Chrysler 300 as a rental.

It seems as if the "Big 3" have a propensity to unload their sedans to rental fleets which is a shame as a glut of used cars will eventually flood the market. This depresses resale value for private sellers who purchase these autos.

Originally Posted By: morris
you DO know that car is not a REAL 300. UM?

Platforms and models change over time. By that definition a 2012 Mustang is not a real Mustang, a 2012 Challenger is not a real Challenger, and a 2012 Camaro is not a real Camaro.

I see where you're coming from though and kind of feel the same way about some models like the Explorer.

The trans is redone with a simple flash to the TCM module with a Scantool. But it is only applicable to very specific cars via VIN #.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I knew how the programming is physically done, but was asking how the programming changed the behavior of the transmission, if it did at all.

I don't know the headlight setups any more but on my old girl the headlights aim very easily (vertically only) and are then self leveling.

These can be aimed easily, as long as you have the right screwdriver. I don't...if I did, I'd re-aim them myself. Normally, if aim is off it's too low; never seen aim too high from the factory.

Originally Posted By: morris
you DO know that car is not a REAL 300. UM?

So what constitutes a "real" 300, Dr. Einstein? The 1955 C-300? Does that mean the 1956 300B wasn't a "real" 300? How about the 1965 300L? Or a 1968 non-letter 300? Was that not a "real" 300?

Easy now. Morris is an older enthusiast who likes the old 300's.

But it's pretty easy to see that the new ones are a worthy successor to the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back