2012 Beetle Analog vs Digital Speedometer Diagreement

We picked up a 2012 Beetle yesterday and something that we didn't notice in any of the driving was that the analog and digital speedometer do not agree. The digital is correct, so I'm sure the system is working correctly in that regard.

However, the analog is always 8mph slow. It's not a percentage through my testing this morning. Analog says 20, digital says 28, 30/38, 40/48, etc.

Anyone heard of this?

I have PA state inspection stickers but now I need it to pass MD state inspection. I don't believe there is a road test in MD, there are no CELs, so I don't see how a MD inspection would notice this. Not super concerned about the disagreement since the digital is correct and realistically that would be used more than anything.

There's a correction factor and it's possible that the prior owner activated a feature to show the true speed. BMW has a correction factor as well and some people will activate the feature which shows the true speed via digital display. The dealership could probably fix it.

Are the tire sizes correct? That would be the first place I'd check. One speedometer input may come from the trans and the other from who knows where.
First thing I checked too.

Tires are correct, 215/55/17

There's a correction factor and it's possible that the prior owner modified the car to show the actual speed via digital.
Is this something an owner can do, or is a VW tool necessary?

I have an impressive service history that came with the car. Like every service receipt the guy ever had. I don't get the impression that he would've modified the car.

Is this something an owner can do, or is a VW tool necessary?

I have an impressive service history that came with the car. Like every service receipt the guy ever had. I don't get the impression that he would've modified the car.
I'm not familiar with VW. It's probably just a coding feature. Basically turning something on/off. VW forums should be helpful.

Was the cluster modified? Someone might have pulled the needles off and not replaced them correctly.

... However, the analog is always 8mph slow. It's not a percentage through my testing this morning. ...
That means it's not a gearing or tire size issue. It's like the analog needle has been shifted in position, which is weird.

NOTE: just cuz the tires have the same size markings, doesn't necessarily mean they have the same diameter. The tire size markings are approximate and used to assess fit. The relevant tire spec is revolutions per mile. I've seen tires of the same size have revs per mile that differ by several percent.

That means it's not a gearing or tire size issue. It's like the analog needle has been shifted in position, which is weird.

NOTE: just cuz the tires have the same size markings, doesn't necessarily mean they have the same diameter. The tire size markings are approximate and used to assess fit. The relevant tire spec is revolutions per mile. I've seen tires of the same size have revs per mile that differ by several percent.
That's certainly the weird part.

The digital matched Waze exact. All tires are the same size and type, so even if it was wrong, it should all agree wrong.

Is the speedo truly analog? If so, those tend to read low as they age. More likely, the speedo is an analog indicator driven by a digital input.

Was the cluster modified? Someone might have pulled the needles off and not replaced them correctly.
Yes I'm going to go with that. Does the analog read exactly zero with the car not moving? There is usually a peg a few mph below zero, the needle should not be touching that peg with the car running but not moving.

Is the speedo truly analog? If so, those tend to read low as they age. More likely, the speedo is an analog indicator driven by a digital input.
Looking at a cluster on ebay, it just has a single plug in the back. I'm sure it's analog driven by digital.

Yes I'm going to go with that. Does the analog read exactly zero with the car not moving? There is usually a peg a few mph below zero, the needle should not be touching that peg with the car running but not moving.

Attachments

• IMG_9891.jpeg
    IMG_9891.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 16
Found in service records that the cluster was repaired/replaced at 44,500 miles on June 7, 2019 at a VW dealer in Edison, NJ.

Found in service records that the cluster was repaired/replaced at 44,500 miles on June 7, 2019 at a VW dealer in Edison, NJ.
Now it makes sense of what happened to the analog needle position.. Now all that's needed to make it perfect is to re-align the speedometer needle to zero.. at least you now know what caused it.

Now it makes sense of what happened to the analog needle position.. Now all that's needed to make it perfect is to re-align the speedometer needle to zero.. at least you now know what caused it.
Certainly.

Since it has a digital one that is accurate, I probably won't do anything about it. I can only imagine the mess of pulling that thing. It's my wife's car and it doesn't bother her, and it won't be driven a lot. It's her fun car.

I called the dealer in NJ and the cluster was replaced because the speedometer wasn't working at all. Kind of funny 🤪

Certainly.

Since it has a digital one that is accurate, I probably won't do anything about it. I can only imagine the mess of pulling that thing. It's my wife's car and it doesn't bother her, and it won't be driven a lot. It's her fun car.

I called the dealer in NJ and the cluster was replaced because the speedometer wasn't working at all. Kind of funny 🤪
yes too funny! love that dealership-speak! 😆

I can completely understand why you're not going to mess with it, those needles can be very delicate! one "oops" and it's broken! Glad the digital is accurate! I know on some rentals I drove, I preferred the digital to the analog, much easier to look down and see a number instead of a needle. I know on some of those rentals the needle was hard to see in bright sunlight. odd but it happened.

Update

Took it to the dealer for the cluster. Was also going to have them check out the fuel gauge but I think this car is just super picky in how you put the pump handle in. There isn’t a lot of room with how they’ve designed the gas fill.

It also popped a CEL so they had some diagnostic to do.

For the cluster, they found the necessary sensors are reporting as expected and determined that the cluster is bad. This is now the second time the cluster will be replaced so I asked about that since replacing a cluster, in my experience is generally pretty rare, they agreed and would do more research and when the tech replaces the cluster they’ll dig in a little more since replacing a second cluster is extra strange.

Me being me and wanting it right so I’m not putting a cluster in this on my dime in a couple years, has anyone heard of this situation on Beetles (or VWs) specifically?

Anything I can give them (the service advisor sounded open to anything I could find) for tips?

Back