2012/2013 BMW 3-series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know.

I was making a joke about the fact that he declined to get a car with a manual transmission. The joke is the subtle suggestion that no real 3-series has an automatic.

I made a similar joke when he bought the car, saying he should take it back to the dealership because it seemed to be missing a pedal.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
I know.

I was making a joke about the fact that he declined to get a car with a manual transmission. The joke is the subtle suggestion that no real 3-series has an automatic.

I made a similar joke when he bought the car, saying he should take it back to the dealership because it seemed to be missing a pedal.

Gotcha. And for the record, I agree.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Nice! It has angry eyes though...

They are following the lines of the CS, the Concept Seven.

I like the Angry BMWs.
smile.gif

Here it is at NYC International Auto Show, April 2008. (The Concept Seven, or CS.) BMW always has one of the best booths.

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

Looks nice, but way too big for a 3. That looks about the size of an E39 5 series to me. Heck, I think the 1 series is at least E36-sized.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Looks nice, but way too big for a 3. That looks about the size of an E39 5 series to me. Heck, I think the 1 series is at least E36-sized.

You're actually right about both comparisons.
wink.gif

Why everybody has to get bigger/heavier is beyond me.

I'm ready for the new .75 series! 1800 pounds, 4 cylinder n/a motor with 200+ hp, high 30's fuel economy and 155 mph capability.

Just a dream...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I'm ready for the new .75 series! 1800 pounds, 4 cylinder n/a motor with 200+ hp, high 30's fuel economy and 155 mph capability.

Heartily seconded!

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
1 series might be the closest to your dream..
no 4 banger though.

And it weighs >3200 lbs.

I love the 1-Series! It has everything that's good and nothing that's bad about the E36.

I can't think of a better upscale commuter (on the US market) for someone who will mostly be driving solo but will occasionally carry passengers. The only possible exception would be the Audi A3. By "better," I mean functionally; I'm not accounting for image.

no 4 banger though.

It's also about 1400 lbs heavier than he wants, too.
thumbsup2.gif
I can't stand these heavy cars.

Cars get heavy due to the safety nannies, and then they keep growing each model so they have an excuse to introduce a "new" smaller one below it after a few years.

Just a dream...

With every new iteration, people want a better car. Bigger is certainly part of that "better". When you read the reviews for the new models, the reviewers always mention that "the wheelbase is x" longer than the previous model and the car is roomier and more comfortable".

You do what your market wants.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
no 4 banger though.

And it weighs >3200 lbs.

Yes, it is rather porky. The last weight I saw for an M1 was 3340, which is hard to believe in such a small car.

Cars in general are way too heavy. But I know the costs of making one light are prohibitive.

Yes, it is rather porky. The last weight I saw for an M1 was 3340, which is hard to believe in such a small car.

(I'm assuming you mean the 1M, not the '70s supercar)

The twin-turbo engine adds some weight over the NA one. I'm sure the M differential adds a bit, too.

I think I also remember reading it had some "ballast" in the rear to even out the weight distribution, but don't quote me on that.

Cars in general are way too heavy. But I know the costs of making one light are prohibitive.

If the market swung toward lower, lighter cars, it wouldn't be such a big deal. At least some the reason for the weight gain in modern cars is crash compatibility with taller vehicles...

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

The picture i posted was the 2008 "Concept Seven" at the 2008 New York International Auto Show at Jacob Javits center, photograph taken by me when i went out there. BMW still has the cars hanging up on the wall. Its very cool. (At least they used to do that.) So, it was a 7-series, with 19-inch wheels factory and possible underpinnings shares with a Rolls Royce platform.
smile.gif

Now this 1-series vs. 3-series debate.. the magazines VERY disliked the first 1-series (even the 135i) saying the "tires" were the weak link. That said, has BMW improved the car?

Imagine an N55 out of an E90 3-series in the 1..... but then again, it is so -TINY!- E36 idk.

E30? Now you are talking. (with E46 S52 engine swap, the 333hp one)

I found two videos. No profanity in comments, i scrolled down and looked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvup8NXqSwQ&feature=related Or this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK90L9EhOvM&feature=related (display of power, and turbo whine. Lovely.) The first video has good discussion as to power to the ground for control, and aerodynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back