2011 Scion tC. Good car?

Scion tried marketing themselves to not-car-people, in a way taking the place of Saturn. They both did no-haggle deals. Not surprisingly, someone who treats a car as an appliance is going to have middling success especially if it burns oil and they never check the dipstick.

Scion also didn't want to face the reality of that generation having crippling student loan debt. There's an old proverb about selling an old guy a young man's car but not vice versa, which is why we see all those 55 year old spinster librarians driving their cats around in these things.

And they always appear on craigslist as a "toyota scion", just like people used to mislabel geo prisms as corollas. All this to say, don't pay nine grand for a ten year old econobox.

A friend just bought a used 2007 Tc for her young new driver daughter. I warned her about the oil useage problem even showed her and the daughter how to check the oil and add properly. This car DID use a lot of oil to the tune a 1qt in around 800 miles. Everything went fine for about 2 months - then the daughter stopped checking oil and burned the motor up. I mean it is LOCKED up solid. It's at my place now for a motor replacement. Sad because she paid 4500 for this car and now the motor will run her about 1200+labor for a pretty crappy car overall.
But when it’s fixed, it could be worth $9k!!!

According to a Wikipedia page on the Scion TC, that model had the youngest average age buyer in the car industry at 29. They reference a 2016 Toyota press release. At least the first gen TC's were heavily beat on. Despite being marketed to younger people, the other Scion models over the years had an average age buyer of 39 early on. Compared to an average of 54 for Toyota products. I'd guess that the average age rose a lot towards their end.

Back