2011 Mustang Oil Change, which oil better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which One?

Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20, OR
Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy

I have both Wix 57502 and Motorcraft FL-500S filters. Either should run the distance.

Will run until the oil life monitor gets to 0% this time. Haven't been due to using the dealers free oil change coupons where they use the Motorcraft synthetic blend. Call me paranoid, but I get leery of running oil 7,500-10,000 miles.

Mainly residual TBN.
Ultra does trump M1 AFE in that measure.
Is there any better measure of an oil's life in service?

I heart SOPUS, so without scientificalness I vote Ultra. It did the most cleaning for my high mileage Buick. It may not be needed in this application (Mustang) but I haven't used M1 motor oils long enough to have an opinion.

You're going to see that many of the answers you'll get will be mostly religious nature--Pepsi versus Coke and all that.

So, an answer from someone who has absolutely no emotional attachment to any oil companies: between those two, I'd go with M1. It has better pumpability in really cold (like 0F and below)temperatures. It's can really cold in ID in the winter. Besides that, the specs of the oils are quite similar and they both seem to perform similarly in UOA's.

They're both great lubricants, so I'd probably go with whatever is cheaper/more readily available. It's there's no difference, I'd go with M1 due to the better MRV spec's.

Go with the PU.
thumbsup2.gif

If you're considering Pennzoil Ultra you might give Pennzoil Platinum a look as well.

But my vote goes to M1 0w20. You really can't go wrong with either one though, so I'd get whatever is cheaper/more available.

I think they recently reformulated Ultra. It had a higher initial Tbn, I'm not sure now. They don't have a PDS. Volatility is a lot higher on Shell's synthetics. Both are great.

Why is this? The Motorcraft is better than the Ultra or the M1.

The car calls for 5w-20. Why the 5w-30?

I live in the mild area of Idaho, near Boise. Rarely gets below freezing and if it does, haven't seen below 20.

The climate in Idaho varies though. My parents live in Eastern Idaho where it snows often and have seen -20 several times in my life.

I am not judging based upon the temperature. Just the better oil of the 2. Trying to pick the oil I want to use and stick to it. The Ultra looks good to me because I get basically free after MIR. My buddy told me the M! 0W-20 was a much better oil and uses this in his Mustang (year older).

Both are great. I'd decide it on any strange brand loyalty you might have.

I haven't ever said this on here, but being a F1 fan, I do not like Ferrari, so it's hard for me to use Shell/Pennzoil products without a slight pain in my heart. ha!
smile.gif

I don't think I'd call the Mobil product "much better," like your friend though, and I'm extremely bias.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
Hmmmm. Winter in Idaho. Definitely Mobil 0W-20.

Agree with OldCowboy.....M1 0w20 will be my next oil change....and I'll be using it year-round here in Central Oregon....mainly for its superior start-up ability....and the possibly of a small increase in MPG.

Originally Posted By: troyh
The car calls for 5w-20. Why the 5w-30?

5W-30 is a better lubricant for the application in my opinion.

The 30 weight will be a better lubricant than the 20? I have read that the 20 weight was designed around EPA blah, blah, blah. No harm would come of this?

So a 5W-30 or a 0W-30 would be better?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back