2011 GMC Terrain Needs new catalytic converter. Go OEM or Aftermarket?

So my GMC Terrain has a P0420 code. I replaced both oxygen sensors but that is not fixing it. There is an extended warranty on the cat for these vehicles, but of course mine is now just out of that windows. I always go OEM but the cheapest I can find for the OEM cat is around $600 shipped, however I have to pay a $400 core charge, which is not that big of a problem, but still kind of a pain to deal with. I can get an aftermarket walker cat for around $350 shipped. What are your guys opinion on this situation, go OEM or try aftermarket?

Thanks

How much longer are you planning on keeping the car? If for a while, I'd go OEM, if not long, chance the cheaper unit. Does the Walker have a good warranty? how hard would it be to put a claim in if you needed to?

AP Exhaust makes California-legal aftermarket cats that are almost as good as OE, but they are not available. However, the price you quoted isn't bad, $600 for an OE cat isn't the worst I've seen. Hopefully the core charge includes return shipping, unless you can just take it to your local dealer :sneaky:

Otherwise, get an Eastern cat. Remember to replace your oxygen sensors along with it.

Nothing wrong with Walker. They are a major OEM supplier and the OEM cat may very well be manufactured by them. For the price difference, if it were me, I would go with the Walker.

I’d review the most cost efficient option meeting your budget requirements off Rockauto, and don’t forget your the 5% off in the rebates/sales section😉

Thanks for the replies guys, I take impeciable care of my vehicles and even though mine has 159,000 miles on it, I had the oil consumption fixed done by GM at 80,000. They replaced the pistons, rings, head gasket, timing chain, guides, etc. so there should be a good amount if life left in that engine. Since the fix the car has not burned a drop of oil and I am thorough with my schedules maintenace. I plan on keeping the car for at least another 3 years if not longer. Still can't decide on what to do, I would go OEM with out hesitation if it wasn't for the core charge. I am still leaning toward OEM though.

The company's oil burning '15 Transit 250 that got a set of Eastern cats a couple years back is still doing OK on them (AFAIK), they've got to have 50K on them by now. Of course, the tranny just blew on it, I haven't heard if they're fixing it or not... Edit: those Terrain cats are expensive, AP/Eastern is just as much as OEM for the set!

I assume, based on the literature provided, that you have a 2.4 Terrain. Should that be the case, I'll end the discussion here: OEM only on that engine. Not due to function, due to FIT. I have NEVER been able to get an aftermarket cat to fit and seal against the OEM manifold on ANY 2.4 Ecotec. Nor have I been able to install ANYTHING other than OE exhaust manifolds, same problem.

If I were the OP, I'd strongly consider replacing BOTH the manifold and cat. Don't forget to order 3x manifold-to-cat mounting studs and 3x nuts. I promise, they'll break.

I assume, based on the literature provided, that you have a 2.4 Terrain. Should that be the case, I'll end the discussion here: OEM only on that engine. Not due to function, due to FIT. I have NEVER been able to get an aftermarket cat to fit and seal against the OEM manifold on ANY 2.4 Ecotec. Nor have I been able to install ANYTHING other than OE exhaust manifolds, same problem.

If I were the OP, I'd strongly consider replacing BOTH the manifold and cat. Don't forget to order 3x manifold-to-cat mounting studs and 3x nuts. I promise, they'll break.
I think you just sealed it for me, THANKS! Yes I do have 2.4 Ecotec garbage engine. I had a cracked exhaust manifold at 80,000 when they did the warranty work and replaced it. I would not be the least bit surprised if it is broke again since this is a common problem on the 2.4 Ecotec. I am taking it to the dealer Saturday and they are going to do a full diagnostic to make 100% sure it is the CAT and not some other part. If the manifold is cracked I will replace that too. Of course when I did it the first time the manifold was $90, now it is over $200 SMH. You mentioned you have replaced these CATS. I am looking online and this seems to be the newest part number and does look correct, but does this look like the ones you've replaced?

Back