2011 Ford F-150 lariat limited 5.0l

I was looking at the Nissan Titan but the deal felt . But I just bought this 2011 Ford F-150 lariat limited 5.0l 4x4 .120k miles

Going to do the first oil change . Back then I heard these first gen coyote having oil issue ...

What I need to use here ? Also while at it . Front diff oil and rear diff oil ..

Last edited:
I have owned two 2013 5.0s; the manual calls for 5w-20 in the 5.0. 7.7 quarts, I always put in 8 quarts with filter and the level was good.

I used 5w-20, 5w-30 and 0w-40 with no issues. Much smoother running on the 40 grade and no loss of mpg or power that I noticed. (The 5.0 in the Mustang, same oiling system, uses up to 5w-50)

Front diff I think uses a 75 or 80w-90, and the rear uses a 75 or 80w-140.

I got the best UOA from Schaeffer 9000 5w-30. Let me know if you want to see it and I will post up.

Lol a Lariat Limited, the names of these trim levels.
5w-20 will work well in this application.

I have owned two 2013 5.0s; the manual calls for 5w-20 in the 5.0. 7.7 quarts, I always put in 8 quarts with filter and the level was good.

I used 5w-20, 5w-30 and 0w-40 with no issues. Much smoother running on the 40 grade and no loss of mpg or power that I noticed. (The 5.0 in the Mustang, same oiling system, uses up to 5w-50)

I got the best UOA from Schaeffer 9000 5w-30. Let me know if you want to see it and I will post up.
Yes please

I have a 2012 and run anything from Harvest King 5W20 to Pennzoil Platinum 10W30. It's not picky on oil.
I've used MC filters and Napa filters with no perceptible difference in start up noise.

I have a company car, so my F150 is 9 years old with only 70K miles on it. It has a 3" lift on 33's and we use it to pull ATV's, my Jeep, firewood, tractor, etc and it has done an excellent job. Last year, my wife revamped the backyard patio and the kid at the supply shop dumped 5 yds of dirt in my trailer (about 10K lb's). You could tell the load was there, but the 5.0L didn't skip a beat.

Yes please
Here you go!

0hCK7ST.png

Last edited:
Good thing the Titan deal fell through.

You can go to ANY oil manufacturers site and fill in your data and it will tell you what grade the vehicle manufacturer recommends. Here, you will only get opinions.

For all trucks Ford went to synthetic 75w-140 in the rear axle. This applies to all trucks regardless how old. This came about around 2002 when API/SAE changed the viscosity spec at 100C. I have the TSB somewhere but cannot find it.

Wait, what? That is it?

I was looking at the Nissan Titan but the deal felt . But I just bought this 2011 Ford F-150 lariat limited 5.0l 4x4 .120k miles

Going to do the first oil change . Back then I heard these first gen coyote having oil issue ...

What I need to use here ? Also while at it . Front diff oil and rear diff oil ..
What does the oil cap read? What do the tags on the differential covers read? What does the owners manual read?

Well guy bad news . This morning I went and crank the truck . Doing some driving and about to change the oil . I heard a loud click . I knew it was blender door and engine make loud ticking noise and it won’t go away until fully warm upI might bring the truck back since I have 30 day return no question ask . Let see what the dealer can do about it.

I love this model truck . It’s roomy and all leather . Sun roof and it’s look really nice . Lucky I haven’t do any maint part . I’m going to keep those part and oil I bought . Since I will be look for another same truck .

Back