2011 Dodge RAM 5.7L HEMI (MDS) oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: VNTS
Roth

I would run a synthetic 5w-20, and best deal is generally any flavor at walmart, PP, PU, Mobil 1.

I think your mds would function better with the synthetic.

What does the MDS have to do with oil selection. I've just bought an 06 hemi with the MDS function and would like to know why.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
and best deal is generally any flavor at walmart, PP, PU, Mobil 1.

Best deals on a daily basis, but not when a costco or bj's has a sale. Remember, he needs 6 qt so lets say M1 $24 at WM then needs the extra qt for say at best another $5 (that is low balling prices). Costco or BJ's runs the coupon for $10 off quite often for a 6 qt case for approx $26 (give or take a buck). Then there is the oil reliable Formula Shell synth which can be had for about $19 (give or take a buck) after the $10 coupon. And this is no mail in rebate stuff, coupon at the register and done. To me those are a better deal than you will find most everywhere and they are run often. Between the two places, it is hard to find a month there is not a deal at one place or the other. BUT of course this depends if you are a member! Then again, I think you can do the one time trial shop to beat the system too.

Filter I am not too sure of. I would just try to find a decent one on a sale too. Black Friday is here, so maybe there are some posted deals?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
What does the MDS have to do with oil selection. I've just bought an 06 hemi with the MDS function and would like to know why.

Most Hemi owners cannot tell the difference between one oil or another with a modern MDS engine. Some can, but it means very little to the MDS despite what you will hear.

Oil grade may slightly alter the MDS envelope but it will not harm it in any way.

Im running rotella T5 in both my hemis right now, mds does not care. I have also ran a 40wt and it still does not care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back