2011 Cruze 1.4L EcoTec / unknown oil or duration

Since I sold my Taurus, I bought this used little 2011 Chevy Cruze 1.4T and other than the normal cooling issues that plague these cars she's doing well. Fixed the leaky hoses and cooling fan and did an oil change. Here's the report of what ever oil was in there. Car was decently taking care of. Guess they traded it in cause of the cooling issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221023-224621_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221023-224621_OneDrive.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 130
It’s good to see the oil in good condition. That supports the notion that it was properly cared for. 👍🏼

When I got my 2014 the cooling fan would only run on high. I tested the resistor and found it wouldnt work on low and medium when the ECM commanded it. Pulled the resistor and found the insulation on the winding mostly missing. I had already bought a fan assembly so I just replaced the resistor since the entire fan had been replaced once already. Apparently I had bought the same brand because the new resistor only lasted about a month. I ended up finding a replacement resistor on E-bay for around $20 and it was much better made than the ones I had replaced. GM does not show a replacement resistor available and I had to hunt for a while until I found the correct one.

When I got my 2014 the cooling fan would only run on high. I tested the resistor and found it wouldnt work on low and medium when the ECM commanded it. Pulled the resistor and found the insulation on the winding mostly missing. I had already bought a fan assembly so I just replaced the resistor since the entire fan had been replaced once already. Apparently I had bought the same brand because the new resistor only lasted about a month. I ended up finding a replacement resistor on E-bay for around $20 and it was much better made than the ones I had replaced. GM does not show a replacement resistor available and I had to hunt for a while until I found the correct one.
I replaced the water outlet, thermostate, radiator, upper, lower hose turbo coolant hose (patched) and fan assembly. Coolant kept boiling out so replaced all those. Oh yeah, and the surge tank and cap. My fan also was only working on high.replaced it aswell.

Yeah, my water outlet broke in July around 115k miles. Pretty straightforward fix and Oreillys had the AC part in stock cheaper than Rockauto
One look at it and you have to wonder what that engineer was thinking making that out of plastic.
That turbo coolant line is also right next to the exhaust manifold, who would think that a crimped rubber hose less than 3/4" from an exhaust wouldnt survive. :poop:

Last edited by a moderator:
The resistor is less than $15 now, look for :

94749639 Fan Blower Motor Resistance Fits Chevrolet Cruze 1.8L Opel Astra Zafira​

Instead of having to remove the shroud part way I cut the plastic shroud on both sides of the resistor and removed it then cut the wires and spliced the new one in. As long as youre careful to not cut the top where it locks in all you have to do is seal the sides between the resistor and shroud with silicone to keep water from getting directly on it. This saves having to pull the trans lines loose to get the shroud back far enough to get the resistor out.

Yeah, my water outlet broke in July around 115k miles. Pretty straightforward fix and Oreillys had the AC part in stock cheaper than Rockauto
One look at it and you have to wonder *** that engineer was thinking making that out of plastic.
That turbo coolant line is also right next to the exhaust manifold, who would think that a crimped rubber hose less than 3/4" from an exhaust wouldnt survive. :poop:
I found a metal outlet on Amazon and it's working just fine but you got to find correct length hardware. That turbo line I just the crimp and slid a new hose over it. Works just fine and alot cheaper than replacing the entire hose and tube.

Back