2011 CROWN VIC POLICE PKG. OIL NOT CHANGED IN MONTHS, REPORTED "ENGINE KNOCKING" ??

Roll new rod and main bearings into it if that can be done without pulling the motor if it actually is the lower end knocking. Dive the $3000 dollars in value out of it.

Roll new rod and main bearings into it if that can be done without pulling the motor if it actually is the lower end knocking. Dive the $3000 dollars in value out of it.

my mistake I should have specified. Knock was top end not lower end

So you heard it knocking and saw the oil was black yet you bought it anyway? Hope you got it cheap.

Yes and I have my reasons why I still bought lol ;) Been dealing with these cars for over 10 years and in my area they are selling for $$$$$

Agree with the above poster, it's probably due for other items if the oil was neglected. Make a list, that includes PCV, plugs, rear diff, and several iterations of transmission spill and fills and a pan drop with new filter, cleaning various sensors, new belt etc. All things that can be done in an afternoon. But I would not get too invested until after a few quick oil changes and filter to see if that knock can be eliminated, and then reassess the investment.

Thanks guys ill know the final "Hammer" on Monday when I go to pick up the car (y)

Whenever I get one in from auction/private seller

I do following services:

For this specific vehicle Oil flush/new oil (have some clearance Pennzoil 5W20 i got for nothing at AutoZone) and new MC filter, I'll drive it for 500 miles to "Flush out" remainder junk oil and repeat again with a high quality full syn oil (Shell rotella gas truck 5W20) and another MC filter

New MC platinum plugs and coils/w new boots
New rainx beam windshield wipers
new air filter
new fuel filter
clean MAF sensor
Clean out Intake with seafoam
(Trans service) drop pan, new filter and new Valvoline Maxlife ATF and lubegard transmission additive (red bottle)
New Rear diff fluid
New PS fluid
New Brake fluid
New PCV valve
Coolant flush

New Belts, pulleys, tensioner and brakes if needed

I might try a couple of 1000-mile oil changes with a HDEO.

ya im gonna see how she runs this week after the "break in" oil change and go from there

She's my "perfect" police vic. Wrap around Push bar, spot light, carpet flooring, pw seat, cruise, 3:27 trac-loc rear end

Just have to paint her all black :cool:(y)

Last edited:
Here she is :cool: (y)

2011 late build towards end of panther production !!
X5 3:27 trac loc rear end
130K miles
black interior
Power seat, carpet, cruise
Prisoner cage and plastic rear seat

1628989196379.png

Whenever I get one in from auction/private seller

I do following services:
If you're just flipping these, why do you spend that much time and money ? I really doubt you get more money from a seller vs the same car that doesn't have this much done. You're just eating into your profit with all this add'l cost.

Main culprit is probably the oil and the incorrect non-Motorcraft filter. Many report a knock on startup with the wrong filter. Use the Motorcraft 820S since these engines need that bypass valve the way MC design.
Nah. Most municipalities - local, state, and federal do the low bid option. Cheap(Specd API) oil and jobber level filters were likely used throughout the entire service life of their vehicles. Overwhelmingly the fleets all survived, and when head to auction they are in good running condition. Any filter that is Specd for these cars will likely have an ADBV.

Both my CVs had the momentary 2 second startup rattle. Used all sorts of filters. None of them ever alleviated the rattle. Use whatever filter you want. It won't matter. Use the cheapest certified oil -again it won't matter.

Nah. Most municipalities - local, state, and federal do the low bid option. Cheap(Specd API) oil and jobber level filters were likely used throughout the entire service life of their vehicles. Overwhelmingly the fleets all survived, and when head to auction they are in good running condition. Any filter that is Specd for these cars will likely have an ADBV.

Both my CVs had the momentary 2 second startup rattle. Used all sorts of filters. None of them ever alleviated the rattle. Use whatever filter you want. It won't matter. Use the cheapest certified oil -again it won't matter.
All filters have the ADBV. The fact that the valve is there is not the issue. It's how well the valve works. Motorcraft filters work better, in particular after a few hundred miles the valve seals perfectly and start up knock is eliminated in most cases.

All filters have the ADBV. The fact that the valve is there is not the issue. It's how well the valve works. Motorcraft filters work better, in particular after a few hundred miles the valve seals perfectly and start up knock is eliminated in most cases.
Yeah - I used MC 820 as well. No difference. I stand by what I wrote.

Here she is :cool: (y)

2011 late build towards end of panther production !!
X5 3:27 trac loc rear end
130K miles
black interior
Power seat, carpet, cruise
Prisoner cage and plastic rear seat

View attachment 67028
Once fixed that would sell fast in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area. They love Black&Whites here. They love both....The CVPI and the PPV Tahoe. Especially if it has cold a/c and dark windows.

You may have other issues. What do you notice?
I had no other issues except that they were both oilaholics. One was retired to the cemetery (bone yard) at close to 300k miles, and the other one was totaled out by insurance.

Back