2011 Corolla FF Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of changing out the FF oil. It's a little over 3k miles right now and Toyota recommends 10k intervals, but I don't like how the FF will be in there for 10k. That's a long time IMO. I plan on changing it out with Pennzoil Platinum and leaving it in there til 10k, where the maintenance plan does the first oil change.

What do you guys think? My wife suggested we change it, because she said "I don't want the factor fill to be in there that long".

Sounds like a good idea. I am not a fan of 10,000 mile oil changes. Check owners manual. Most driving falls under the severe mileage recommendations.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Sounds like a good idea. I am not a fan of 10,000 mile oil changes. Check owners manual. Most driving falls under the severe mileage recommendations.

+1...Try 7k like you plan on and send in a uoa to see how the oil is holding up.

Originally Posted By: BrownBox88

What do you guys think? My wife suggested we change it, because she said "I don't want the factor fill to be in there that long".

You have to keep your wife happy, no question about it.

However, for oil issues, I listen more to owner's manual rather than my wife.

There is a good reason early oil changes are not recommended anymore.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Might I ask what that is?

Originally Posted By: KeMBro2012

Honda's factory fill has high levels of moly, which some suggest might be helpful for break-in. I don't know if this is applicable for Toyotas as well.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10

Honda's factory fill has high levels of moly, which some suggest might be helpful for break-in. I don't know if this is applicable for Toyotas as well.

I think high levels of moly would not allow a engine to break in properly.

No matter what you think Honda feels differently.

More than one mfgr has additives in the oil on delivery. For all those "by the book" types I would suggest following the manual on this one.

toyota doesnt give a [censored] beyond your initial warranty, i would imagine problems would happen afterwards anyway. on that note, i also dumped the factory fill on my 2011 sienna at 5k. i got a free change at 10k, and will dump it at 15k, and my last free change at 20k, then continuing 5k OCI's on my own.

in other words, i think you are smart.

Last edited:
Yes Toyota and every manufacture does. The last thing any CEO that cares even a little bit about his reputation is that his/her company manufactures a quality product. Toyota does not want a reputation that vehicles that Toyota makes fails shorty after warranty, when this happens the magnifying glass is then placed over all your products and each and every flaw is found and discussed into your reputation is dragged threw the mud. Not a fan of 10K OCI'S? I have a 330 CI V8 that has had a lot of severe service driving and 7K OCI'S on conventional 5W-20 and it looks like the engine and oil could handle a 10K OCI with a margin of error. I will extend to 10K and not worry about a thing in 20 months when the powertrain warranty has expired.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
toyota doesnt give a [censored] beyond your initial warranty, i would imagine problems would happen afterwards anyway. on that note, i also dumped the factory fill on my 2011 sienna at 5k. i got a free change at 10k, and will dump it at 15k, and my last free change at 20k, then continuing 5k OCI's on my own.

in other words, i think you are smart.

Just thinking about Toyota's real attitude towards their customers after the expiration of their warranty. Surely you don't think that Toyota does not care about the longevity of their cars. If they got a reputation of falling apart shortly after the expiration of warranty, wouldn't that pretty much ruin them?

First, toyota actually changes oil after a brief run of engine on a dyno in a factory (testing before installing in a car). So, most debris is out.

Second, every time new oil is in, engine wear increases. This is especially under break-in.

I followed the Honda recommended full OCI (through the OLM) interval for the factory fill in my 2011 Civic. The result was an entirely unremarkable UOA, you can see it HERE.

As you can see, the factory fill Iron was just slightly more than the subsequent fill and the Al was actually less. Contrary to popular belief, Honda's factory fill oil itself does not contain high levels of moly, the moly comes from assembly lube applied directly to components. The August 2006 Honda Service News says:

Quote:
Factory-Fill Engine Oil Looks Dark? - It’s Normal

At PDI, does the factory-fill engine oil look less
like Texas Tea and more like Oklahoma Crude?
Don’t worry, there’s nothing wrong with the
engine. The engine oil looks that way because of
molybdenum (that’s “moly” for short), a special
lubricant applied by the factory to critical engine
components during assembly.
When the engine is test-run, that molybdenum
mixes with the engine oil, turning it a dark
metallic color often within the first 5 minutes of
running. And just how dark that engine oil turns
seems to vary between vehicle models, engine
types, and engine assembly plants. What’s
really important to remember here is this:
Don’t change the factory-fill engine oil because it
looks dark; just make sure it’s at the right fluid
level. To ensure proper engine break-in, the
factory-fill engine oil needs to remain in the
engine until the first scheduled maintenance
interval.

I realize a Toyota may be different from a Honda, but both my 2007 Subaru WRX and my 2011 Honda Civic have shown enormous quantities of moly in the factory fill, both Subaru and Honda state they just use "regular" oil in the factory and that the moly comes from assembly lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back