2011 BMW E90 328i 95K miles, valvetrain pictures

Y'all:

Replacing the cam cover and gasket because they were leaking. It's a common problem. Car has had a lifetime of "Euro Castrol" 0W-30 (both German and Belgium made). Hengst air and oil filters. 5K mile OCIs. Warm weather climate. That's lint from the rag on the cam lobes.

FWIW,

Scott

Attachments

• IMG_1386.jpeg
    IMG_1386.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1388.jpeg
    IMG_1388.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 194
Looks good. Hope you're replacing the entire valve cover and not just the gasket.

Wasting money on oil changes. There's really no reason not to go 7.5 or 10k.

Yes there are for various reasons. Type of oil, climate, driving style, and engine type to name a few. Blanket statements such as that are not good. Unless you're some kind of genius and can gauge wear from those pictures?

Yes there are for various reasons. Type of oil, climate, driving style, and engine type to name a few. Blanket statements such as that are not good. Unless you're some kind of genius and can gauge wear from those pictures?
This engine is specified for LL01 and 15k/1yr changes. Other members have posted that this combination results in an engine that looks nearly the same internally.

It's not a blanket statement, it is an informed and specific statement. 7.5k is half what was originally recommend for this car and 10k is the current recommended service interval @ BMW.

Minimum OCI of 15,000

This engine is specified for LL01 and 15k/1yr changes. Other members have posted that this combination results in an engine that looks nearly the same internally.

It's not a blanket statement, it is an informed and specific statement. 7.5k is half what was originally recommend for this car and 10k is the current recommended service interval @ BMW.

Minimum OCI of 15,000

So the recommended interval was 15K and was reduced to 10K? That tells you how reliable that recommendation is then.

My point is pictures don't tell the whole story.

So the recommended interval was 15K and was reduced to 10K? That tells you how reliable that recommendation is then.

My point is pictures don't tell the whole story.
BMW's recommendation never changed for this car. It was shortened with the next generation of cars, which are all turbocharged.

And if your point was that pictures don't tell the whole story, why not say that?

Of course they don't tell the whole story; they are supporting information.

Agree. If you’re not maintaining your car their way, you’re doing something wrong or somehow wasting their money.

Let’s suppose two “identical“ cars. Same age, same mileage.

One had 5k OCIs, regular drivetrain fluid changes on “sealed for life units”, regular brake bleeding, etc.

The other had 15k oil changes and still had all original fluids elsewhere. But that owner proudly proclaimed they followed the manufacturer’s extended maintenance intervals because it was the “best way“ to care for a car.

Which one are you going to buy?

Scott

wouldn’t care about 15k intervals because the oil is built for the job. even oil demolishers like the old VW 1.8T can do 10k+ no problem on Edge Euro 0W30/40.

Lifetime ATF etc is a different story, both the trans manufacturers and the oil manufacturers know they have a finite lifespan and recommend accordingly.

Last edited:
Typical of today's society that if someone doesn't believe or act the same as me they are wrong. Who cares if he changes early? It's his money and his effort. The engine looks fantastic and will undoubtedly have less issues than someone that pushed the limits. However I am biased as I also own BMW and change often.

Back