2010 V6 TSX, Redline??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am a amsoil guy.... But I have tons of amazon giftcards so I can get some redline. I am buying a used 2010 Acura TSX with the 3.5Lt V6. The car has 12k miles and has 2 oil changes done at dealer. I am sure it was dino oil they used. Should I get redline or get the Amsoil OE or XL. Or get whatever 29.99 syn special autozone has. I will be following factory change intervals.

Yea balance plus its a CPO so I get 5 years 62k bumper to bumper and 7 years 100k powertrain.

Also does Royal Purple 5w20 still have a issue with shearing...just trying to grab something from amazon

Use any oil syn or dino in the recommended viscosity. Boutique oils are waste usually, and even more so in an engine that wears so well. If synthetic oil makes you feel better anything from the major mfrs work well. Pennzoil Platinum has run the smoothest and quietest so far in the 05 TL. Then Syntec. M1 was a nit noisier and the only one that was consumed any.

You'll get many years out of that car on off the shelf synthetics.

If you race it, consider the boutique oils.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Also consider increasing your viscosity if you are modding your engine.

Originally Posted By: bigbull2984
Also does Royal Purple 5w20 still have a issue with shearing...just trying to grab something from amazon

I've only seen the 5w-30 shear in the UOAs on this site.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

Maybe. Use an OP gauge to see if its necessary.

What's weird is how Honda specs Xw40 oils in Europe or Japan for some motors that get Xw30 here in the US...

Originally Posted By: BigBird57
Sadly,
Group III basestocks

I guess for the price ishould expect this. I also have a older TL with the 3.2 lt engine it runs smooth with RP and ASL 5w30. I see amsoil does not have asl anymore. Whats the reviews on SS 5w20 might get a case and just change out both Acuras..

What's weird is how Honda specs Xw40 oils in Europe or Japan for some motors that get Xw30 here in the US...

Really..

I have the 2008 Honda Accord L-P with the 2.4l/4cyl. I am using the Pep Boys $35 deal on the RP 5w-20 with the RP filter. RP is still group IV/V basestock.
The Penzoil Ultra looks good as well.

Really..

Yes. The S2000, for example, was spec'd for 10w40 in other countries if I recall correctly.

I guess for the price ishould expect this. I also have a older TL with the 3.2 lt engine it runs smooth with RP and ASL 5w30. I see amsoil does not have asl anymore. Whats the reviews on SS 5w20 might get a case and just change out both Acuras..

For the price OE and XL are excellent products. People get way too hung up on what base oil products are. I actually was like this years ago, but the facts speak for themselves. Group III oils can be excellent.

Not sure why you don't think Amsoil has ASL 5W-30 anymore, it just been upgraded (great move, better oil):

Amsoil ASL 5W-30 link

Protection vs CAFE....

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Protection vs CAFE....

I'm not sure it's quite that simple.

The EPA requires the manufacturers to do everything in their power to ensure that the lubricant used by owners is the same lubricant used during the initial fuel economy certification. They do this buy specifying that particular grade in the owner's manual. I think this is one reason why you don't commonly see oil viscosity grade ranges anymore (like 5W-30 for under 50*F, 10W-30 for above 50*F, etc). I also think this is why you see lighter grades being specified in the United States than in other parts of the world. It's not necessarily that they don't protect as well (especially for the slower speeds being driven in the US), but that the lighter grade is the lubricant used during fuel economy certification, so they're compelled by law to recommend the use of that lubricant in the owner's manual.

I know I read a article awhile back stating that the euro countries have a stricter requirements on oils, so can a 10w40 oil last longer than a 5w20 given the same engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back