2010 Honda Accord V-6 Power Steering too "Numb"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it even remotely possible to change to a different Power Steering Fluid (or do anything) to reduce the level of power assist?

Wow.

the more things change the more they stay the same.

I always thought that the '80s CA model Accords were the most overassisted car ever. It was almost like the steering wheel wasn't attached to anything.

Honestly, I'm shocked to find that Honda still makes the Accord with hydraulic power steering. Everything else is electric now.

But to answer your question. No. Straying from Honda Power Steering fluid might even make it worse or broken.

Maybe the car needs more air in the front tires? It wouldn't hurt to try running 3 - 5 pounds more than recommended.

If no joy, and this is a new car, perhaps an alignment check is in order. Too much positive caster increases steering effort.

I like steering on the lighter side and being able to steer the car with light finger-tip pressure. I think you can have decent road feel with high assist. A lot of it has to to do with the scrub radius, SAI bushing stiffness, tires etc.
Anyway, you might check that your tires are not over-inflated as that can have an effect of lighter steering. I think spec is 32 psi.

The steering a year ago when brand new was nice. Not too light and not too heavy. Our CRV is 3 yrs old and it's quite tight still.

Now that the Accord is a year old with 15,000 miles it feels "disconnected" from the road especially at freeway speeds.

Almost like the feeling you get if the car begins to hydroplane "like it's floating on water. Yuck.

I did get the Michelin tires up to 34 pounds.

My daughter's Focus is 10 yrs old and is nice and tight.

I have read in the Porsche' forums where a guy asked a question about his considerations to buy a Shelby or Caymen. The member's were respectable and respected the Shelby in every way. The new 2012 Shelby has the ability to select 3 levels of power assist including "track" which bypasses the assist completely.

Having said that the Porsche' members felt in general that American cars "loosen" up much faster than German cars. Why is that?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete591
I did get the Michelin tires up to 34 pounds.

What's the recommended tire pressure according to your Owner's Manual? 28? 30?

Honda PS is variable: Boost decreases as vehicle speed increases. At about 40mph, there should be just about no boost at all.

I'm suspecting you've got the tires overinflated.

Maybe the PS boost isn't decreasing at speed for some reason so you're getting full boost when not needed?

Maybe a dealer tech drive it? Just thinking aloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back