2010 GTI 2.0tsi Factory Overfill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: masterkaj
Thing is the dealer had nothing to do with this, it is still the factory fill.

I just don't want any long term issues like damage to the crankcase and seals, damage to the cat, and extra oil vapors gunking up the intake valves.

masterkaj,

Then in that case I'd take it to the dealership and ask/talk to the service guys.If they say it's OK then drive in confidence. If anything goes wrong you can hold them responsible for giving you bad advice. Aafer all its' still under warranty. I'm betting they'll change it our for fresh oil for you free and you'll have the issue taken care of, Just make sure you keep records.

Durango

The dealer said it was fine and that they won't touch the factory fill, "that's what the factory must have intended". At first I thought I was reading the dipstick wrong. The dealer said up to line 1 is fine, but my local guy who works on Audi and VW cars all the time said mark 2 is supposed to be the max, which is what I originally assumed. Between 1 and 2 is where it states max.

img0240bt.jpg

Still not 100 percent sure, but will fill to line 2 when I do my oil change. Btw, the manual shows the older FSI dipstick so it was no help whatsoever.

Point 2 is where it is supposed to be. If it is at point 1 it is overfill by 700ml...which is a lot in my view.

If this is the TFSI motor with the filter unit at the bottow (new TSI have the filter at the top) then I would just take the pan cover off and push the drain nossel (orange unit) and drain off the excess into a tub...shouldn't take you 30 minutes and the dumb dealer won't no sheet about it.

How do you know how much overfilled it is?
In any event, don't worry about it.
At your next oil and filter change, drain it a long time and fill it with the exact amount spec'd for it. Then you'll know where it should be. Dipsticks are not NASA certified.
I am not happy with the stealership's employee's response - "If it is overfilled it should be." Give me a giant bleeding break.

Yeah they are idiots sometimes, just don't want to do work. I am starting to think my dipstick isn't entirely accurate either. For example, when I put it in halfway it still shows it full, a bit spotty though. Then if I put it barely in I still see oil above the max but not much below it.

Any reason for this?

Originally Posted By: willix
I think overfill is a negative, better under than over. They have a "safe" range right there on the stick. Do you check it hot or cold?

It is better to overfill than under. Less oil, means less oil pressure, means more wear, and more noise.

Originally Posted By: masterkaj
Thing is the dealer had nothing to do with this, it is still the factory fill.

I just don't want any long term issues like damage to the crankcase and seals, damage to the cat, and extra oil vapors gunking up the intake valves.

Part of the PDI process at dealers is they check all fluids and top off anything that needs it. They possibly topped off your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back