2010 f150 5.4 triton

Status
Not open for further replies.
how many on here have this engine? after reading about the cam phaser issues and spark plug removal problems, i'm a bit apprehensive about buying one. i found a 2010 f150 5.4 triton with 134k miles in excellent condition, one owner carfax with oil changes about every 8k. truck looks like it was garage kept, but i am wondering if this is an engine i should really avoid. thoughts on this would be appreciated. it would possibly be a truck for my daughter. i do most of my own work and have kept cars alive for a long time, but i am not very familiar with the ford lineup. the cam issue really has me concerned but not sure if it was corrected for that year or if a mechanic would be able to tell if it was "on its way out"

2010 does not have the spark plug issues. The heads were redesigned in late 2007-2008 and they take a more conventional looking spark plug, it should have brown boots on the coils.

ok thank you. i read something about a two piece plug and other problems. anything in particular i should watch out for? last vehicle i bought, i had a shop test compression and do a "block test" and pressure test the coolant system and would do the same for this truck, but the whole cam phaser thing concerns me-

The cam phaser issue is going to come down to how the vehicle was maintained. The 5.4 3v likes clean oil and really likes a 5W30 more than the spec'd 5W20. In the grand scheme of things, changing the phasers is a pretty straightforward job. FordTechMakuloco has some good videos on how to do it. He gets a bit preachy but it is all good info.

The spark plugs are a non-issue on that year 3V 5.4L....The VVT Phaser/Timing chain tensoining issues are very real & need to be taken into account! A well maintained truck may work out good for you! You need to do a COLD start & listen for any noise, Scan the modules for evidence of codes being cleared recently, Have the truck thoroughly checked out by a trusted mechanic, & Do a very thorough test drive of at least 50 miles.

How much more is a 2011 & up 5.0L or 6.2L truck in similar shape/mileage?

so the 5.0 is supposedly a better design? i've come across that remark in some other posts

Originally Posted by joel95ex
so the 5.0 is supposedly a better design? i've come across that remark in some other posts

The difference between the Triton and the Coyote is comparable to the difference between Vortec/LT1 vs LS engines. The Coyote is a phenomenal motor. Better reliability, fuel economy, and power.

Originally Posted by joel95ex
i'm a bit apprehensive about buying one.
When in doubt don't. I own 2 Ford pickups, but If you have apprehension follow your gut.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
The cam phaser issue is going to come down to how the vehicle was maintained. The 5.4 3v likes clean oil and really likes a 5W30 more than the spec'd 5W20. In the grand scheme of things, changing the phasers is a pretty straightforward job. FordTechMakuloco has some good videos on how to do it. He gets a bit preachy but it is all good info.

Agree with all.

Also agree with the 5.0 being a better engine; to be fair though, the 5.0 did have some occasional issues through early 2013.

Originally Posted by JLTD

Also agree with the 5.0 being a better engine; to be fair though, the 5.0 did have some occasional issues through early 2013.

such as? anything major to look out for when purchasing a used 5.0 truck?

Last edited:
I had a 2010 FX4. Loved the truck. Take it for a nice long drive, then order at a drive thru. If it sounds worst than a diesel then you have cam phaser issues. If not it does not have it. The 3V 5.4 will be a reliable engine if maintained.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by JLTD

such as? anything major to look out for when purchasing a used 5.0 truck?

Just the "5.0 knock" at idle. Happens around 60k miles and for some engines requires a new ling block as the #7 or #8 cylinder is out of round. As mentioned, fixed by later '13 models.

Other than that, super solid.

The 2009 and later 5.4's had the vast majority of the issues resolved. The plugs won't be a problem, but they should have been changed by now. Just did them in my 120,000 mile 5.4L, no problem at all. Easy.

The phaser issues are absolutely oil viscosity and cleanliness related.

Of note, the 5.4 has a reputation for being gutless. It's not because it's a bad engine design with poor airflow. In fact, the problem is that the throttle body is programmed to open only partially until 4500 RPM. That means there are HUGE gains to be had with a proper 87 octane tune. Including MPG gains. I have a 5 star tune on mine because it's gutless without it.

As far as the 2011 5.0 being a better engine, that's just not so. They had their issues too. Furthermore, the 2011 has electric rackenpinyon steering (a little joke, I know it's rack and pinion) which is expensive, has poor feel and is less reliable.

I won't claim a 9 year old truck is going to be the answer. But my 2009 F150, 4x4, Lariat has been fantastic, with very few issues. I did change the battery twice, the heater control actuator ($25) and the AC compressor. By the way, look to see if it has a new AC compressor. If not, you should expect it to fail. When they "pop", they put debris backwards into the system, and it's a royal pain to fix. Look at the low pressure side of my expansion valve. (by the way the newer trucks, any brand, have this issue also)

[Linked Image]

2010 does not have the spark plug issues. The heads were redesigned in late 2007-2008 and they take a more conventional looking spark plug, it should have brown boots on the coils.

They didn't have the plug blow out issue, they moved onto the next issue, snapping plugs off. 2010 didn't have that issue?

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy

They didn't have the plug blow out issue, they moved onto the next issue, snapping plugs off. 2010 didn't have that issue?

They didn't. That issue was corrected late '07-08. I thought the cam phaser problem's were corrected by then too, but reserve the right to be wrong on that one.

Originally Posted by HM12460
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy

They didn't. That issue was corrected late '07-08. I thought the cam phaser problem's were corrected by then too, but reserve the right to be wrong on that one.

There was a redesign but the issue still shows up. I see enough guys online with 09 and up 5.4's breaking 100k and getting the problem. The 5.4 lived on in other applications after the F150 went to the 5.0. 3 Valve wasn't a bad engine. I'd definitely rather an LS motor truck over a 3 valve.

Decent review from a mechanic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijjkAlxzvOA&t=331s

Earlier 5.0 trucks had some issues with an oblong bore on cylinder 7 or 8 but that was for short runs. Not a plague problem at all. It was an issue that showed up sooner rather than later too so trucks with that issue should be fixed by now on Ford's dime.

It's very unlikely the later 5.4's are going to snap plugs. This happened because of the non conventional earlier plug design building up carbon on the section of plug exposed into the combustion chamber. During removal, that carbon would bind the plug up and prevent easy removal. The later 5.4L's have fully threaded plugs and heads. The result is a completely conventional installation with no unusual problems.

Early 5.4L plugs:

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
My sister has a 2012 Expedition with the 5.4 and it's been reasonable reliable except for the A/C (rear lines rotted out), aluminum tailgate and hood have corrosion bubbles in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back