F150

Within the next year or so I’d like to sell my truck for another used F150. While the 3.7 is a great engine and Ive had no issues, its just not the engine for a crew cab F150. 55 mph and under, it gets great mpg, anything over that and it really starts to show that the truck is under powered. Im considering either a 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost. If I were to go the 5.0 route, should I buy a 2017 or older truck due to all the oil burning issues? Also the truck I want may be very hard to find, it must be 4wd and have a 6.5 foot bed. I just cant stand having a 5.5 foot bed anymore, its useless. The large 36 gallon tank would also be a plus.

The 5.0's are harder to find new or used in late model years because Ford builds most with some sort of V6.

Edit. Privacy issue

Last edited:
I have a 2013 3.5 Ecoboost, if you buy one of these make sure it has service records. These motors can get expensive (timing chains) if neglected.

Reactions: JC1
Hate to say it but if you want a 5.0 with a 6.5 foot bed, you are looking for a bit of a unicorn and you best bring bitcoin or gold when you go to buy it.

Point being used truck pricing has truly gone insane right now and this was a combo that commanded a premium to begin with.

Hmm. The 5.0 is a dime a dozen here in Texas. Lots of 2.7’s too. Not a whole lot of 3.5 EB’s compared to the 5.0V8 and 2.7 EB.

I assumed wrong. Just texted my brother. He said it was hard for him to find a V8 and tow mirrors. You don't see too many F150's with tow mirrors come to think of it. He does have the 6.5' bed and the larger gas tank, too.

His truck:

Steves f150.jpeg

Yeah not many 2015+ F150’s with tow mirrors since they made the tow mirrors a stand-alone option. The 2009-2014 the tow mirrors were included in the max tow package.

As a side note, has anyone seen a 2009-2014 F150 with the HD payload package? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one, they have a lot of unique features including 7 lug wheels.

Never seen one, and I live it truck country.

I thought the 6.5 ft bed with crew cab stopped around 13 or 14?

2.7 has more than enough power and is fun to drive. Tows aplenty too. Mine has the 6.5 bed with supercab. If we need more seats we take another car. I do occasionally wish it was a crew cab, but the longer bed holds things like my riding mower that the shorter bed wouldn’t.

You can still get a 6.5 foot bed with the crew cab on the 15+ trucks. It will have a 5.0 or 3.5 engine though - they don't come with the 2.7 or I would have gotten one... (And to be clear in the 4x4 version of the truck).

I thought the 6.5 ft bed with crew cab stopped around 13 or 14?
Supercrew is still available with the 6.5’ bed. Very popular with people who tow travel trailers.

Not very common to see outside of that.

"Why not an F250 instead of a unicorn F-150?"

My brother traded in an older F250 with a 5.4. His F150 rides better, has more power and gets better fuel economy to boot.

You can equip an F150 with a heavy duty payload package which includes a larger 9.75" gearset and a 3.73 ratio. Requires a 3.5 EcoBoost or
the 5.0. I know my brothers truck has the 3.73 and larger fuel tank. I don't recall if he has the 9.75" gears or not.

In my opinion, many don't know the available options and would be best served picking the right truck for the job.
How many people really need an F250? You also have people that have an F150 that would be better served with an F250.

Within the next year or so I’d like to sell my truck for another used F150. While the 3.7 is a great engine and Ive had no issues, its just not the engine for a crew cab F150. 55 mph and under, it gets great mpg, anything over that and it really starts to show that the truck is under powered. Im considering either a 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost. If I were to go the 5.0 route, should I buy a 2017 or older truck due to all the oil burning issues? Also the truck I want may be very hard to find, it must be 4wd and have a 6.5 foot bed. I just cant stand having a 5.5 foot bed anymore, its useless. The large 36 gallon tank would also be a plus.
Is this what you're looking for? They have more. Check them out.

Is this what you're looking for? They have more. Check them out.

The bed is 5.5' in the first link.

it must be 4wd and have a 6.5 foot bed. I just cant stand having a 5.5 foot bed anymore, its useless.
A real pickup has 2 full size door doors. Those 4 door models with nearly useless tiny beds are just styling mall crawlers only good for carrying mulch back from Home Depot. An extended cab has plenty of room for people in the back and can even be had with an 8 foot bed.

100.JPG

A real pickup has 2 full size door doors. Those 4 door models with nearly useless tiny beds are just styling mall crawlers only good for carrying mulch back from Home Depot. An extended cab has plenty of room for people in the back and can even be had with an 8 foot bed.
Really? Plenty of 4 door trucks working hard out there. Yup, the western Canadian Rockies are like mall crawling. Don't be simple.

To the OP, You can't get a 6.5 bed in a 4wd crew with the 2.7. That's 3.5 and 5.0 only as per Ford.

20190701_131934.jpg

20170814_152926.jpg

Yeah not many 2015+ F150’s with tow mirrors since they made the tow mirrors a stand-alone option. The 2009-2014 the tow mirrors were included in the max tow package.
My 2013 with max tow package doesn't have tow mirrors. Wasn't part of the option at that point already.

View attachment 57374
Most people who buy pickups really do not need a pickup. Or, whatever they need a pickup for, can be accomplished using a 5.5’ bed.

Back