2010 Elantra with 333,684 miles ..WOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a couple '13 model cars with over 100K on them. Seems like newer Korean cars are popular with courier work and other jobs that involve a lot of highway driving without a large payload.

I see a lot of full size vans that are over 300K in just a few years. 400K miles on an Econoline or Express is peanuts.

For some reason, most of the Explorer Sport Tracs I see have a lot of miles on them. Have seen a few with 300-400K miles on them in pretty good shape.

Oddly enough, the highest odo reading I've seen in person was over 700K on a Saturn L-Series sedan of all things. I have also seen 600K on a 1990s Explorer, 500K on a 1990s F-150, and 500K on a 1995 Astro. I have a regular customer with over 500K on a Chevy Venture as well, and it runs surprisingly good. Looks like a 200K mile car.

Korean cars have been durable for many years.

What they weren't was sophisticated as often they were base on either old school GM technology or old school Mitsubishi technology

Now they have the expertise and investment to make them much nicer places to be, whilst still being durable.

I personally look at Korean cars from say 5-10 yrs ago as the Japanese cars of 10-15 yrs ago

Back when Japanese cars, at least in the UK, were service and forget.

To be honest a lot of Japanese cars sold in Europe are not made in Japan anymore, I think Subaru are one of the few that still make the UK models in Japan, not sure about the new coupe though as that is made in a Toyota factory apparently.

Mercedes in my experience have gone through several years or mediocrity, rust and lack of reliability have been the norm for many years. A shame as they used to be so over engineered.

Just someone's ultra long distance commuter. Manual cars fully warmed up and putting down the highway last forever with good care. Person goes through the same thing any other person would with the same car, only they stay in 5th gear for over 100 miles per trip.

Now if it was a pizza delivery car with that much mileage i'd be blown away.

It might be in better mechanical shape than a lot of cars with 150k miles that had a lot of missed LOF changes and stop and go miles. Because you know that these miles are mostly highway and that it was maintained well. I'd say it's worth 1500 as a beater. Some moron will probably pay over 3k when a salesman feeds them a line about "miles don't matter on newer cars!"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I've seen a couple '13 model cars with over 100K on them. Seems like newer Korean cars are popular with courier work and other jobs that involve a lot of highway driving without a large payload.

That makes sense with the 100k powertrain warranty they offer. Would cover the most expensive part for those guys. It would get me thinking long and hard about them too if I was in that line of work.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Meh, nothing that uncommon these days. I hope our two can make it up to that sort of mileage!

I would be HIGHLY surprised if my crummy Ford Focus makes it past 100k without a ton of repairs. 65k and having noises and issues like it has 150k miles on it.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Meh, nothing that uncommon these days. I hope our two can make it up to that sort of mileage!

I would be HIGHLY surprised if my crummy Ford Focus makes it past 100k without a ton of repairs. 65k and having noises and issues like it has 150k miles on it.

You are kidding right?

Mine won't make 200K but that's because of NY rust. It's a well built car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

That makes sense with the 100k powertrain warranty they offer. Would cover the most expensive part for those guys. It would get me thinking long and hard about them too if I was in that line of work.

We are tossing around that idea here as my Wife will be buying something for her home therapy biz this coming year. The idea of something cheap with a warranty sounds ok, but we still can't deal with a lot of stealership visits...

Originally Posted By: Miller88

You are kidding right?

No...I am not kidding at all. Mine is a total bag of bolts. Does it run? yes. But being that this isn't thirty years ago....I expect more than that.
Two wheel bearings replaced....brakes make a horrible sound when wet and vibrate (had them checked TWICE and nothing found as a solution or cause).....horrid rough idle for the first twenty minutes of operation.....front end bar-links need replacing (constant clunking sound)....defroster is weak (takes almost 10 mins. to defog window) and settings 2 and 3 are exactly the same level....carpet on passenger side is pulling out....and a recent new squeak in left rear of vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^Ouch, that's not what I would expect from what most say is a great little car...

I know.It really ticks me off but now that it's paid for I would be financially foolish to get rid of it just yet. Maybe by summer I'll get the front end repaired and new brakes (may not help the noise). The really sad part for me is that I really did like this car for the first two years. It does still get great MPG's. I just can't understand why at 65k miles all this stuff has occurred. I baby the thing and keep up on all maintenance items (even way overboard). But it has just disappointed me.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^Ouch, that's not what I would expect from what most say is a great little car...

I know.It really ticks me off but now that it's paid for I would be financially foolish to get rid of it just yet. Maybe by summer I'll get the front end repaired and new brakes (may not help the noise). The really sad part for me is that I really did like this car for the first two years. It does still get great MPG's. I just can't understand why at 65k miles all this stuff has occurred. I baby the thing and keep up on all maintenance items (even way overboard). But it has just disappointed me.

Eventually, if you own enough cars, you'll get a lemon. Then you have to decide what to do with it.

Good luck, as it can be a source of never ending frustration. I remember a Galaxie 500 I owned many years ago. I got intimidated about going OOT with the thing as it would always break something!

Originally Posted By: Miller88

You are kidding right?

No...I am not kidding at all. Mine is a total bag of bolts. Does it run? yes. But being that this isn't thirty years ago....I expect more than that.
Two wheel bearings replaced....brakes make a horrible sound when wet and vibrate (had them checked TWICE and nothing found as a solution or cause).....horrid rough idle for the first twenty minutes of operation.....front end bar-links need replacing (constant clunking sound)....defroster is weak (takes almost 10 mins. to defog window) and settings 2 and 3 are exactly the same level....carpet on passenger side is pulling out....and a recent new squeak in left rear of vehicle.

I totally understand. My mom had a 2003 Focus ZTW Wagon with the 2.0 Zetec. Hat car was the biggest piece of garbage, even when it was fairly new. It had crazy vibrations at idle, almost couldn't talk in the car. Alternator died at 40k miles. Other than that it never had mechanical issues, just rattling beyond normal and it was absolutely horrible, what a cheaply made car. It died at 54k miles in 2012 in a car accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back