2010 Camry 4cyl - excessive engine noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Met someone (retired) yesterday with a 2010 Camry 4cyl auto with only 2k miles. Complained of unusual engine noise since new which goes away after about 12 minutes of unban driving. At cold start (I listened), sounded like camshaft bearing(s) starving for oil (medium pitch growling sound). He said dealership says "that's the way they are" and techs compared his to other new cars and noise is the same.

Noise is alarming to me. I would not buy any car, new or used, with a noise like that.

Anyone else run into this??

Has he got the right 0W-20/5W-20 oil in it, or some bulk 10W-30?

In this cooler weather, that might affect oil flow to the top end....just an idea.

Still has factory fill, techs at dealership said there is nothing wrong. The strange part is that the noise goes away in about 12 minutes (he says). Also, he has 2005 Camry so he is familar with Camrys.

I've got a 2011 with the same engine however it's pretty quiet though at start/warm up.

Wondering if any changes on engine between '10 and '11 4cy, wouldn't think so. I have a family member in AZ with the same model, year, etc. but it's her first car in a long while so would not know what is not normal.

If it goes away when it's warm then maybe it just needs to reach operating temps. Have you tried starting a new one on the lot to see if it also does it?

My '11 Camry (same engine) doesn't have what I'd call a "growl" noise, but like most engines, the whole thing seems to be louder on a cold start...nothing that I'd consider unusual. It's certainly the quietest of the three vehicles I own. Check all accessories also, like the alternator (overrunning clutch on the pulley), the PS pump, A/C, etc.

2010 and 2011 have the same engine and transmission; the 2AR-FE engine and U760E. (V-6 cars are 2GR-FE engine and U660E transmission.)

Just remembered, owner mentioned the dealership changed out the power steering pump, but that made no difference in the noise (his opinion).

Time will tell on this one; if there is a problem, it will get worse which will lead to the cause.

Originally Posted By: PHANI1
Just remembered, owner mentioned the dealership changed out the power steering pump, but that made no difference in the noise (his opinion).

Some owners are reporting early PS pump replacements due to noise. I think that a replacement PS pump usually quiets the noise. I don't know if the system is inherently noisy or if they had a bad batch of PS pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back