Accord 2010 EX-L V6 engine noise - cam lobes?

Originally Posted by willbur
Greetings-
If its damaged cam lobe(s), wouldn't it miss or run rough? Perhaps a valve adjustment nut loosened up or was not tightened properly.

Always apply the Kiss principal first.

I got a Honda like that, too. Smoothest and most trouble free car I ever had.

Not necessarily, over the years I have seen many cams especially old OHC that were badly pitted and noisy but the lobe still had enough profile that the engine didn't misfire.
On these Honda engines I use a dial indicator to set the valves, the rear bank can be a real bugger to get spot on with a feeler gauge.

Well, since we are trying social distancing, I had a lot of time today at home to go through my records: And I found back in March 2019, at 107k mi (approximately 5k after timing belt / valve adjustment work was done in August 2018, at 102k mi), I went to Autozone for P0302 code, Cylinder 2 misfire. My mechanic noted they "Loosened #2 Cylinder a few thousands of an inch , reinstalled valve cover, started engine, watched cylinders with a scanner, no misfire is occurring on any cylinder" at no cost since I had paid $250 the first time I got the valve adjustment done. Although I remember him commenting on this valve clearance issue, I would imagine that if he had seen any cam issues he would have let me know at that time? He is a very experienced mechanic who owns this Honda/Acura only shop.

This happens to be the same P0302 code that was in the class action lawsuit, but until that time I never had issues with the engine and the oil consumption, and it happened after my mechanic did the adjustment, so I would not stand a chance.

Given the confusion over how the economy will do in the short term, we really are not in a position to upgrade our car, so I am thinking that I will just bite the bullet, have my mechanic take the top off and see what's wrong. And Cujet is correct, it's not too terrible but it's there so if I am trading it in at a Honda dealership I am sure they will notice it. I hate to throw more money in but at this point I've spent too much on the timing belt/valve adjustment/tires etc. There is also a whine in the transmission, we did the 3xdrain fill last time, it helped but that may be on the way out, too. All these happening on a Honda that's been serviced for everything that's in the book makes me wonder about buying another one. We've had five Hondas that have been fine except some transmission issues, but I was hoping to get more of this Accord.

Last edited:
^^^^. Honda isn't what they were 20 years ago, unfortunately. The problems you've mentioned in your last post are typical of that generation V6 Accord. I would call Honda corporate and see what they will do. Many times they will pay for half or more of the repairs on this issue.

Before I can call corporate I would have to take the car to a dealership, right? I assume they wouldn't accept my local mechanic's diagnosis if I took it to him first. That would mean I'd have to pay my mechanic first to open it up and diagnose, close it up and I take it to the dealer? If that's the case it may be better for me to take it to the dealer first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nash123
Well, since we are trying social distancing, I had a lot of time today at home to go through my records: And I found back in March 2019, at 107k mi (approximately 5k after timing belt / valve adjustment work was done in August 2018, at 102k mi), I went to Autozone for P0302 code, Cylinder 2 misfire. My mechanic noted they "Loosened #2 Cylinder a few thousands of an inch , reinstalled valve cover, started engine, watched cylinders with a scanner, no misfire is occurring on any cylinder" at no cost since I had paid $250 the first time I got the valve adjustment done. Although I remember him commenting on this valve clearance issue, I would imagine that if he had seen any cam issues he would have let me know at that time? He is a very experienced mechanic who owns this Honda/Acura only shop.

This happens to be the same P0302 code that was in the class action lawsuit, but until that time I never had issues with the engine and the oil consumption, and it happened after my mechanic did the adjustment, so I would not stand a chance.

Given the confusion over how the economy will do in the short term, we really are not in a position to upgrade our car, so I am thinking that I will just bite the bullet, have my mechanic take the top off and see what's wrong. And Cujet is correct, it's not too terrible but it's there so if I am trading it in at a Honda dealership I am sure they will notice it. I hate to throw more money in but at this point I've spent too much on the timing belt/valve adjustment/tires etc. There is also a whine in the transmission, we did the 3xdrain fill last time, it helped but that may be on the way out, too. All these happening on a Honda that's been serviced for everything that's in the book makes me wonder about buying another one. We've had five Hondas that have been fine except some transmission issues, but I was hoping to get more of this Accord.

Your situation sounds frustrating to say the least. It seems most 8th gens live long, happy lives. Maybe you got a Monday or Friday model. I would call corporate after taking it in for diagnosis (at a Honda dealer) and see what kind of goodwill they can offer you.

Originally Posted by gregk24

Your situation sounds frustrating to say the least. It seems most 8th gens live long, happy lives. Maybe you got a Monday or Friday model. I would call corporate after taking it in for diagnosis (at a Honda dealer) and see what kind of goodwill they can offer you.

He didn't get a Friday vehicle. Research the problems with the Honda 3.5 V6 and eco mode/VCT. It is widespread.

Before I can call corporate I would have to take the car to a dealership, right? I assume they wouldn't accept my local mechanic's diagnosis if I took it to him first. That would mean I'd have to pay my mechanic first to open it up and diagnose, close it up and I take it to the dealer? If that's the case it may be better for me to take it to the dealer first.

No. Just call and give them the situation. A family member had this problem with their car and Honda paid for 1/2 the repair and it had just over 150,000 miles. It's worth a try. They may want to have a Honda dealer look at it though, I don't know.

So I called the corporate office, and the rep transferred me to the campaign manager, who said that warranty had expired in 2018. They did not really say anything about goodwill, even though the system shows our four Hondas that we own/owned. I may take it to the dealership as a last resort to see if they can look at it and follow up with the corporate office (they gave me a case number). My concern is, if they say they do not want to participate in goodwill, I really do not want to pay for a lot of extra at the dealership compared to what my mechanic may charge.

If you are still driving this car...
I would check to see that the timjng belt tensioner hasn't picked out it's oil.
What brand parts were used when the TB and water pump was done?
Definitely get a VCM muzzler, any brand is better than none on a Honda J series.

Hello al!

Trying to decide if it is better to sell the car or open up the engine and drop more money into this car.

2010 Accord EX-L, V6 at 118k miles. I love my car, got the timing belt, valve adjustment and the big service done at 105k mi, but it is coming up with different noises and I'm having a hard time whether to keep it or not. I included a video link below. This started a few hundred miles ago, It does this noise starting at 2300 rpm, where it is the loudest. It does it at neutral or when driving, It is less above those rpms but still there. No sound is present at idle or below 2300 rpm. The engine runs very smooth, no jerking, shaking, vibration etc.

I took it to our Honda/Acura only mechanic, who has been servicing the car since 2014, he knows the car very well. He took the belt off to rule out other things and said that it definitely is coming from the top of the engine. He said he would have to further diagnose it but it will not be simple. He is worried that it may be worn cam lobes. The car never had any low oil issues (I read a few different threads on this here), so we are not sure if that is the reason. The oil level does not seem to drop. He said the engine will not likely seize right now, and it does not look like it is going to hurt the engine but obviously it is an issue that we need to get to the bottom of. He said he has had only a few cars with similar issues and if it went all the way to replacing the cam it may run up to $700 (all OEM parts).

Could you please see the video and let me know what your thoughts are? BTW the sound is a lot louder in the video compared to what you hear if you listened to it in person.

https://youtu.be/6z4mouIxZi0
I can tell you one thing that jumps out right away. Your mechanic must be a good fellow. I can promise you take that car anyplace else and you put at least a x2 or x3 on the bill for that type engine work. Good luck. It is strange how it just started.?

I can tell you one thing that jumps out right away. Your mechanic must be a good fellow. I can promise you take that car anyplace else and you put at least a x2 or x3 on the bill for that type engine work. Good luck. It is strange how it just started.?

It’s been a year and a half. I imagine he took care of it already.

Back