2010-2014 AWD Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vote has to go to the CTS. The AWD version is the CTS4. I've been around several people with them and no problems. I've got an 08 RWD CTS and its been a great car and reliable. Add to this the prices are very reasonable and you won't be choked down with BWM/Mercedes/Audi maintenance costs. The icing on the cake is the car is actually very nice, beautiful interior and handling and power is very exceptional with the 3.6DI. Mine has 116k miles, still looks new and is rattle free and everything still works...and my car is fully loaded with NAV, directional high intensity lights etc and no problems. Well - the one issue was the timing chains but that is covered for 10yrs/120k miles for all owners and the problem is really just the 2008-2009 cars. Get the latest model you with the most options and best condition your budget allows. I will warn you to steer clear of the base 3.0L V6 cars and I've seen several of these in AWD. Don't waste your time - get the 3.6 and loaded up.

I'd suggest test driving a loaded 2016+ Subaru Outback too. It's significantly quieter and more comfort then previous ones with incredible mpg for an best in class Awd system. 10" of snow with its clearance/awd is not challenging for it.

It's not like your old Subaru and I know quite a few folks locally who formerly drive what you are listing and easily could pay cash brand new for Audi, mb, BMW, etc but Subaru got the sale.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Which Mercedes?

C-Class and GLK of those years sometimes had issues with AWD transfer cases. Wife's C300 suffered a transfer case failure at 60K miles and because the transfer case is integrated with the transmission, the whole thing had to be replaced.

Some of the Audis with the 2.0 turbo engines had some excessive oil consumption issues. I think they sorted it out by 2013.

Quote:
so reliability is paramount.

Statistically, you're probably better off with a Lexus or Acura then.

+1

If I went the luxury car route Id lease so I dont get stuck with someone elses problems.

If repeated bouts of snow are expected, then I'd probably favor something like a Subaru, a Volvo XC70, or Audi Allroad. I think of those three, I'd probably look at the Volvo, but they're all nice.

I would also go new when I'm spending $40k. A leftover 2015 Cadillac CTS4 or a loaded Subaru Outback can be had for under you budget.

EDIT: I've heard a lot of people suggesting the Audi All-Road. Just know that car is much smaller inside than the outside would make you believe. Also, avoid the airbag suspension at all costs. I've only known 3 people with All-Roads, but they all had to replace the suspension at least once and it's not cheap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If repeated bouts of snow are expected, then I'd probably favor something like a Subaru, a Volvo XC70, or Audi Allroad. I think of those three, I'd probably look at the Volvo, but they're all nice.

IIRC, they (she?) used to have a Subaru. I think she wants something more upscale, if I can read between the lines. Nothing wrong with that, as the budget is there to afford it. Plus it sounds like she wants something with a higher ride.

Pop, what is the term of ownership? These are not vehicles which I know anything about; but I'm wondering if, if this will be a 2-3 year ownership, if something with warranty would sway one way or the other. If it breaks but is covered, then it doesn't matter. As opposed to 5+ years, where expected repair costs will start to matter.

Similarly, where will this be service and/or repaired? I tend to think of German makes "needing" either someone willing to spend time (and money) doing their own maintenance and/or repairs; or finding a good specialty shop to do that for them. Perhaps both, in case a large repair pops up.

Whatever it is, I'd get a second set of rims with snows, if snow duty is a requirement. Which may mean some time shopping for rims, unless if you plan on doing bi-yearly mounting&balancing--if this is an "upscale" purchase then I'm guessing some rusty old steelies won't cut it.

That whole requirement of being able to drive through 10 inches of snow in a CAR is going to be a tough one. Most of these German sedans are fairly low to the ground, so you'd be plowing snow with your bumper. The Allroad would probably be the only exception, but if you're going to consider the Allroad, then why not consider something like BMW X1 as well? Technically it's a small SUV/CUV. Is that an option, or does it have to be a CAR?

Originally Posted By: supton
IIRC, they (she?) used to have a Subaru. I think she wants something more upscale, if I can read between the lines. Nothing wrong with that, as the budget is there to afford it. Plus it sounds like she wants something with a higher ride.

Right, but I think their Subaru is at least a decade old, and not necessarily representative of how nice a new loaded Outback would be. If they want a higher ride, none of the sedans listed in the original post will achieve that, which is why I suggest a taller wagon like an Outback, XC70, or Allroad. The BMW and Merc and CTS will be real low to the ground, making driving in any sort of snow accumulation unnecessarily difficult.

OK, with "reliability" are you looking for something that will last you 10-15 years and 200,000 miles with the lest issues or are you looking for something that will get you 50,000 with the fewest services/repairs because you will trade out quickly. The problem is that most "Luxury" brands, especially the Germans have a HUGE 50,000-60,000 mile service need. That is why a lot of folks dump them then. That is also why a lot of Luxury brands will offer the 50,000 mile no cost service. At 80-140K, expect BIG repair bills for wearing parts and general repair needed.

Since you are not talking about the new car, first 50,000 mile mark, I would ditch ALL German options. The Audi might be the best of that group so I included them.

1. Regardless of how you split it would be Lexus. If Reliability is #1, Lexus owns that market. Let Downside is that you will pay the "used Lexus/Toyota" premium and they are a bit ho-hum in the luxury-performance market. I don't recommend the IS. Not a good cruiser. Cramped. The LS is the other option but you will be at the top of your price range for a 10-13 model at the top of your mileage. Expect 40Kish for about 50-70K miles for a LS in this range.

2. Hyundai Genesis Sedan. Whomever said this was a sniper. OK, so because it says Hyundai on the keyfob, these things lose value faster than last weeks Sushi. The upside is that they are a fantastic value and will likely hold up better than their German counterparts. You can get a 2013 Hyundai Genesis for about $20,000... but the 2015 AWD models are around $30-35K with less than 20K miles.

3. Buick ... 4. Cadillac. Buick is better than a lot of other makes and I would strongly look at a Regal AWD loaded up. Heck, you will be able to get a NEW one in your price range. GM is hit or miss but that Regal is the other sleeper in the group and is reliable. Caddy is lurking in the background. Not great reliability but not painful to repair as the Germans. So you have quirky and inconsistant GM with Buick as Dr. Jekyll, to Caddy's Mr Hyde. Heck, at the end of the day, GM still make some of the most comfortable Highway cruisers. Period. I would rather be in an Impala than a 5 series, A6 or C class.

5. Audi is doing better for reliability in the low miles... those higher mile Audis are still problematic for repair and service.

6: Acura is still piddling around like a lost puppy, but Honda since 2009-today has fallen off their mark on reliability. If the SUV /the MDX was on the table, is "ok-ish" but anything Honda with a V6 and an Automatic should be treated as suspect. Otherwise they are going to be "better" than a lot of options but just don't expect the old 80-00s Honda reliability. The new DW fluids help, but still... I would find an loaded Accord and pocket the brand-markup cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I sense in Pops op and reply that he wants a status vehicle, and he wants reliability and awd ability. He may want the status over reliability. The Genesis is a good suggestion, but it lacks the status. Perhaps the Lexus GS350 is the compromise mix of all.

Rode in a year old top-of-the line Genesis (one year old) just last night. My friend bought it who has had both Mercedes and Audi. He loves it. And it is a very nice ride.

It was very smooth and ultra quiet. His only complaint was the dealer he purchased it from. After buying other luxury cars-a Hyundai dealership was a complete throwback to the 1970s he said-with all the games the dealer plays. So-I guess it's a good thing they are spinning off the brand. He used the word "duplicitous" several times to describe the buying experience!

BTW-nice post FutureDoc!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
I sense in Pops op and reply that he wants a status vehicle, and he wants reliability and awd ability. He may want the status over reliability. The Genesis is a good suggestion, but it lacks the status. Perhaps the Lexus GS350 is the compromise mix of all.

Rode in a year old top-of-the line Genesis (one year old) just last night. My friend bought it who has had both Mercedes and Audi. He loves it. And it is a very nice ride.

It was very smooth and ultra quiet. His only complaint was the dealer he purchased it from. After buying other luxury cars-a Hyundai dealership was a complete throwback to the 1970s he said-with all the games the dealer plays. So-I guess it's a good thing they are spinning off the brand. He used the word "duplicitous" several times to describe the buying experience!

BTW-nice post FutureDoc!

Thanks! And I will second that "Hyundai" dealership problem. "Duplicitous" would be the nice term. I have seen those dealer and... yeah, to many censored words. There is a dealer 1 mile from where I live and I would not event let them send me an email. Garbage business and I wrote Hyundai USA a physical letter. However there are good dealer too. I found those that are stand-alone Hyundai buildings are going to be a leech-fest. However, if it is a Hyundai dealer that shares a roof with another dealer, then it will be MUCH better (or that is what I experienced). I bought my Genesis Coupe (different car) from a Subaru/Hyundai dealer. Great service. I test drove at a Ford/Hyundai dealer and it was a "very good" Ford experience (Ford dealer in my area are good, plus I know them after buying for the gov). The two stand-alone Hyundai dealers (one had a kia place in the building next door), were the rats nest. I liked the "favor" of giving me a "best price quote of 10K over MSRP. I liked another one that wanted me to make a deposit in order to get a quote. The again, another let me drive 75 miles to test car seats at babies-r-us (Subaru/Hyundai affiliated), another got be a darn competitive quote in less than an hour of emailing, and another stayed 1.5 hours later than closing (Fold/Hyundai affiliated) and did some serious research about an odd-ball car.

I keep thinking that it is going to come down to either Toyota/GM for this call with Hyundai lurking as a compromise. Toyota will be reliable and is a decent highway cruiser (but will be costly in purchase price). GM is the better highway cruiser car, but less reliable (but more affordable). Hyundai will split the difference and will offer more toys for the price.

I'd go test drive CUV's ...
A few critical inches higher - but not enough to where they don't handle pretty well with electronic systems keeping you out of the ditch ...

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Thanks! And I will second that "Hyundai" dealership problem. "Duplicitous" would be the nice term. I have seen those dealer and... yeah, to many censored words. There is a dealer 1 mile from where I live and I would not event let them send me an email. Garbage business and I wrote Hyundai USA a physical letter. However there are good dealer too. I found those that are stand-alone Hyundai buildings are going to be a leech-fest. However, if it is a Hyundai dealer that shares a roof with another dealer, then it will be MUCH better (or that is what I experienced). I bought my Genesis Coupe (different car) from a Subaru/Hyundai dealer. Great service. I test drove at a Ford/Hyundai dealer and it was a "very good" Ford experience (Ford dealer in my area are good, plus I know them after buying for the gov). The two stand-alone Hyundai dealers (one had a kia place in the building next door), were the rats nest. I liked the "favor" of giving me a "best price quote of 10K over MSRP. I liked another one that wanted me to make a deposit in order to get a quote. The again, another let me drive 75 miles to test car seats at babies-r-us (Subaru/Hyundai affiliated), another got be a darn competitive quote in less than an hour of emailing, and another stayed 1.5 hours later than closing (Fold/Hyundai affiliated) and did some serious research about an odd-ball car.

I keep thinking that it is going to come down to either Toyota/GM for this call with Hyundai lurking as a compromise. Toyota will be reliable and is a decent highway cruiser (but will be costly in purchase price). GM is the better highway cruiser car, but less reliable (but more affordable). Hyundai will split the difference and will offer more toys for the price.

The Mercedes dealer I go to is pretty nice. You normally get a loaner and it's a C class but it's better than most other rentals. They also have a free lunch/breakfast bar if you're just waiting around for service. I don't go too often though, I was there last for warranty work, they offer a 12 month/12k warranty on all the work they do.

If you would have read the original post, it's not for me, but rather for my wife. She wants something that is comfortable on the road, and likes the way our Cadillac rides and handles. Around this area I've never seen a Genesis, and support for one would be an issue. While I've been looking through area ads, I have yet to see a Genesis listed, so they are extremely uncommon around here. With so little support, it would be a poor choice.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Have you considered the Volvo XC line? I am a fan of the P2 chassis (20001-2007) XC wagon, but the newer XC-60 and XC-70 are in your price and meet your criteria as well as the listed vehicles...

I hadn't considered those, but it is worth a look. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Honestly if you want to make AWD the big deal. I would get a Subaru. Apparently Subaru AWD is the best.

We had an Outback for several years. It was a great car, but she wants something more along the lines of a highway cruiser. She doesn't want another Subaru.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I've said it before and I'll say it again. How a vehicle handles in snow is 90% tires, 10% driver and the rest is the drivetrain.

OK, well maybe that math isn't perfect but you get the point
wink.gif
I've taken Mustangs through deeper, nastier snow than you-d expect. All while AWD and FWD vehicles were gettings stuck and sliding off. But of course that was with dedicated snow tires which were taller/narrower than stock.

I've never been shy about keeping quality tires on a vehicle.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
BMW, Mercedes, Audi, been there done that total money pits and i am in the automotive business..
Get a Hyundai or a Toyota or lease the others within warranty and than give it back!

No thanks.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
My vote has to go to the CTS. The AWD version is the CTS4.

I'm looking strongly at the CTS-she really likes the handling of our STS so that may be a good fit for her. Our STS has also been outstanding as far as quality and reliability, so I assume the CTS would be similar.

Originally Posted By: supton

Pop, what is the term of ownership? These are not vehicles which I know anything about; but I'm wondering if, if this will be a 2-3 year ownership, if something with warranty would sway one way or the other. If it breaks but is covered, then it doesn't matter. As opposed to 5+ years, where expected repair costs will start to matter.

Similarly, where will this be service and/or repaired? I tend to think of German makes "needing" either someone willing to spend time (and money) doing their own maintenance and/or repairs; or finding a good specialty shop to do that for them. Perhaps both, in case a large repair pops up.

I normally do all of my own repair work, and have no problem if a repair issue needs addressed. How long we keep the vehicle depends upon how much she likes it. I have no problem keeping something until it no longer meets my safety standards.

We also keep a large vehicle contingency budget (part of which will be used to replace her vehicle) so paying for repairs isn't an issue-it's something we plan and budget for but rarely need. If she likes a car and it needs more than average maintenance, then it's not an issue.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is that an option, or does it have to be a CAR?

She really wants a car-she's driven SUVs for years and wants something more like our STS. Although once she test drives a few, she may change her mind.

We plan to go looking and test driving over the next couple of weeks. Right now I'm leaning toward the CTS or BMW, but we'll find out what she really prefers.

Only reason I suggested a Genesis is because I sell themy have one along with a 16 c class and 12 bmw x5 and my 98 bmw m3. I give credit where credit is do and I will take a Genesis over the other two I have. (M3 stays)I am not saying that they suck because they are great cars but I just like the Genesis better.but make sure you purchase what makes you happy life is to short driving someones dream car.

Having sat in a Genesis at an auto show once, based on the quality of fit&finish, I'd say Hyundai still has ways to go to catch up to the Germans. I can't comment on the reliability aspect.

The OP not considering a Genesis is just too bad....they are a great car. Here in Utah...people are just not in to cars. They don't know a Land Rover from an Outback.

So-my thought are if your going to have high maintenance/insurance (sometimes depreciation depending on the manufacturer/model) costs you might as well have some perceived prestige by others.....right?

I guess you don't get that with a Genesis. But you do get like 34% depreciation in the first 12 months.

Last edited:
Sounds like it isn't common that she needs to go out in deep snow, but would like to if needed.

Maybe buy 2 cars, looks like you could get a 2011-2012 Subaru for less than $14,000. Have that for heavy winter usage

Then buy a comfortable car that would be used 95% of the time, IF it is more cost effective to buy that car in a 2WD platform rather than AWD. Or, perhaps there's a car she really likes that only comes in 2WD.

Might still fit the budget.

Or keep the STS for the 95% of driving and buy another Subaru for the rough stuff. That's if the STS is new enough and reliable enough for you.

Easy choice, 2013 BMW 3 series X drive. Here's ONE with low miles, AWD for $24k at Carmax. They seem to go for around the same price certified at the BMW dealer.

If that's not big enough then the 5 series comes into play. Here's a 2013 528 X drive with 42k miles for $27k. I'd guess one with 20k miles would be low to mid 30's.

The only issues I know of are some of the larger wheels on the performance models can sometimes crack by hitting large potholes/bumps and BMW offers a special insurance on them. The company treats it's employees very well including their retirees. Even dealership employees receive special perks when buying of one of their cars after they've been there a year. Most of the cars in BMW Financial parking lot are 3 series. Any non-BMW in the employee parking lot will receive regular flyers on the windshield encouraging them buy/lease a new BMW. All the cars in their lineup have perfect 50/50 weight distribution. I would think these would be the most reliable of the options mentioned.

Also plenty of positive discussion on the BMWs on here and the Accord forum. A fair amount of negative comments on the Accord forum about the other options esp with the Audi from some of the techs that works on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back