200k on my jeep.

The 2002 wrangler I bought brand new hit 200 K today. IMO a wrangler with this milage is kind or unusual here. Most wranglers are weekend toys and not daily drivers like mine is.

It has had its share of problems. Every suspension component has been replaced at least once.

The clutch release bearing ground its self up @175k. and then the Rear D44 axle needed a rebuild shortly after.

Most jeeps have the 3.07 axle gears, mine has the 3.73 and the better axle that still had to be rebuilt when it lost a carrier bearing.

The universal joints in the rear driveshaft are still original. All the ones in the front including the double cardian( sp?) joint in the front drive shaft hace been replaced.

The engine does not burn or leak oil. Transmission and transfercase as well as the front axle gears and wheel bearings are still original.

Oddly enough the original alternator failed today @199995 miles!

I can say that its never been in an accident other than some dingbat bumped me from behind at a red light a couple years ago but didnt cause any damage.

I do feel that it had more pep when it was younger. I figure the timing chain,cam and lifters are likely worn. Typical 4.0 Jeep will still pull from below 1000 rpm in any gear without any pinging or knocking.

It has always made it home under its own power. Never been on a tow truck.

IMG_20240604_173027234.jpg

Congrats on the milestone & i'm sure that makes you happy with the initial decision to purchase it. This is precisely how one gets there moneys worth out of a vehicle. While many would've just dumped it when the trans/axle started going. I understand that position too though since everyone wants to price gouge those types of repairs. I hope you get more miles out of it. How many you think are left in this beast?

Congrats on the milestone & i'm sure that makes you happy with the initial decision to purchase it. This is precisely how one gets there moneys worth out of a vehicle. While many would've just dumped it when the trans/axle started going. I understand that position too though since everyone wants to price gouge those types of repairs. I hope you get more miles out of it. How many you think are left in this beast?
I dont see why the engine wont go another 100k.

btw it gets whatever oil and filters that meet spec are on sale. rarely the same oil 2x in a row. mostly 10w -30 but has had 5w30,10w40,sae 30,15w40 and 20w 50. It doesnt seem ro run well on thicker oil.

I dont see why the engine wont go another 100k.

btw it gets whatever oil and filters that meet spec are on sale. rarely the same oil 2x in a row. mostly 10w -30 but has had 5w30,10w40,sae 30,15w40 and 20w 50. It doesnt seem ro run well on thicker oil.
I was going to say 100k too so we're on the same page. 🍻
That would be nice if you got 300k out of it but you've done real well so far. Certainly can't complain about 200k. Good deal.

My daughter's 04 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 is just about to tick over 200k, too. The engine ticks, too, when cold, but other than that, no major issues except one rear axle seal, an alternator, a front track bar and an outer tie rod.

Pre blood pressure medication Jeeps (Stelantus) can be pretty reliable.

Congrats on hitting 200k.

No water pump and/ or radiator replacement?
yes. original radiator broke @62k. Replaced with an all aluminum 2r.... But it was less efficient and ran hot so it now has a Denso from rock auto I replaced the water pump around 130k just as prevenative maintenance.

Reactions: GON
Nice! My 98 TJ is around 165k miles. I'm the second owner. I just did the timing chain and sprockets on mine about 1000 miles ago. They were definitely worn and the chain had a lot of slop, more than I've seen on all the other 4.0s I've had apart. Not sure if it has to do with it being a 5MT or not. The new chain definitely seemed to put some pep back in it.

Nice! My 98 TJ is around 165k miles. I'm the second owner. I just did the timing chain and sprockets on mine about 1000 miles ago. They were definitely worn and the chain had a lot of slop, more than I've seen on all the other 4.0s I've had apart. Not sure if it has to do with it being a 5MT or not. The new chain definitely seemed to put some pep back in it.
How did you know to change the chain?

Well done, Chris! I like to follow updates on people who keep older vehicles going and how they fare!
I rolled 200k last week on my 09 G5; It’s not in nearly as good of condition as yours, but it just keeps going - I’m in the same boat as you - no way I can afford to replace it right now!
My TC/tensioner rattles a lot more on start up these days, so we will see how that goes - despite finances, not going to ‘heroic measures’ to save mine.

Always a good feeling when a car has served you well over such a long time and so many miles.
This machine has certainly paid for itself and should continue to do so for some time to come.
Good for you!

How did you know to change the chain?
I pulled the oil pan to change the gasket. I had an oil pan and RMS leak. When the pan was off I looked at the chain and it was definitely loose. It had more noticeable play than other 4.0Ls I've had the oil pans off of, so I figured I should replace it. It was the first 4.0L I had replaced the timing chain on, and was a pretty straight forward job. I did the water pump, front seal, and harmonic balancer pulley while I was in there.

Back