200K mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
do not have a clue I bought the car with over 200K
id like to keep it going tho

Last edited:
Well it most likely had oil changes with normal oil.

So why don't you take some 5w-30 oil like Motorcraft, Pennzoil, QS, Valvoline (I think I have most of the colors covered) and a filter and do a 4-5k OCI.

Then see how it did as far as oil useage, how did the engine perform and sound. From there you can alter what oil to use.

I see NO NEED to put in a HM oil in the car if its running fine with normal oil.

Just my thoughts...

Bill

No need to put a HM in but no reason NOT too either if that's what you want to do,,M1 has a boosted add pack(being a HM SL oil)better base, help clean things up and could be used year around with extended intervals. What kind of car/engine/service does it see???

What year, make, model, and engine.

Depending on the engine, I would do a short OCI(no more than 3000 miles) with Mobil 1 10W-30 or 10W-40 HM or Valvoline synthetic 10W-30 Maxlife. I would use a Wix filter.

After that , I would use Valvoline 10W-30 or 10W-40 Maxlife blend and a Wix filter.

HM oil is more than just detergents. It has a better 100C cSt, better HTHS, more anti wear agents, more antioxidants, and for sure has seal conditioners.

well I got it to drive in the winter mostly but now Ive decided to spend some money on it and make a nice daily driver but the oil will be changed around 3500 miles and prob. just the plain white purolator filter
Its a 94 Dodge shadow 2.2L
I put a after market Oil pres. gauge and it was running 65 PSI cold on a 80 deg. day

im trying to get the most out of it I can b/c Id like to make it a CS clone on day then swap the engine out for a turbo one.

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
the oil will be changed around 3500 miles

Well if thats the case run any good dino and she'll be fine. A synthetic at that would be a total waste,unless thats what you want to do??.

Originally Posted By: daman

Well if thats the case run any good dino and she'll be fine. A synthetic at that would be a total waste,unless thats what you want to do??.

+1

I know m1 says todo a few short OCI for 3K when you switch to thier HM so after that how long should I wait to change the oil and filter

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

+1

I'm with you guys, I'd be running a good 5W30 Dino oil in a 200,000 mile car. YB would be my first choice, or any good SM oil that's on sale. I'd keep the OCI to about 4,000 miles, and decide if a HM oil is needed or a different grade oil based on my 4000 mile OCI results. JMO

I know m1 says todo a few short OCI for 3K when you switch to thier HM so after that how long should I wait to change the oil and filter

If you want to do a few short flush changes that's usually a good idea most oil manufactures i think recommend it

what car/engine do you have??

If you want to do a few short flush changes that's usually a good idea most oil manufactures i think recommend it

what car/engine do you have??

From above;

Its a 94 Dodge shadow 2.2L

In my Jeep 4.0 with 180K now, I've run cheap QS 10W-30, Rotella 15W-40, and GTX HM 10W-30. Of all of them, it seems to run smoothest with the GTX HM. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back