2009 Pontiac Vibe, Big Block

...yea I called it a Big Block. Don't know if the block is physically that much bigger, but displacement is 2.4L (2AZ-FE) instead of the 1.8L (2ZR-FE) that usually powers that car. (As well as Toyota Corolla and Matrix.)

The valve cover gasket is puking oil onto the heat shield.
PXL_20240312_203400538.jpg

So I guess it's time to see if the 1st owner of this vehicle "meticulously maintained" it for 165k miles, as he claims...
PXL_20240312_210809765.jpg

Looks like he did! Gotta love honest previous owners.
PXL_20240312_210904826.jpg

Let's get a close up... Left to right.
1000017081.jpg

1000017082.jpg

1000017083.jpg

1000017084.jpg

Old (likely original) valve cover gasket came out in one piece, and even still somewhat flexible.
PXL_20240312_215527941.jpg

What are the markings on the cam?
🤷‍♂️ gonna have to ask the Toyota engine assembly plant about that one. Also 1.8L head gaskets seem to pop around 130k-180k miles. Still good service life, but worth noting... The 2003-2008 1.8L (1ZZ-FE) has no problems maxing out its 299,999 odometer with original head gasket, and then keeps going for another 299,999 miles, at least.
The dreaded 2.4, oil burning low tension piston rings... I would rather have (the slightly weaker) 1.8.
The previous, and only, owner said it consumes no oil. I have done 1000 miles so far, and the oil level is down about .7qts. But currently I blame that on this heavily leaking valve cover gasket. Will update if there will still be any oil loss with the new gasket, but so far it does seem like this engine does not consume any oil... Or not a measurable amount... All the burned oil smell is upfront from the leaks onto the exhaust manifold.
Exhaust pipe is clean and original catalytic converter is still doing it's job. Neither of these things would be happening in an oil burner with 165k miles. So, kinda hoping for a miracle here, and so far it seems to be true. But again - I will update if there is actually oil consumption.

Last edited:
Honestly, & I'm no expert it looks fairly clean. I do see some darker area's on the Exhaust side? camshaft area's. Can you tell me which side is darker intake or exhaust. Thanks

Honestly, & I'm no expert it looks fairly clean. I do see some darker area's on the Exhaust side? camshaft area's. Can you tell me which side is darker intake or exhaust. Thanks
The one with the markings is the exhaust cam. The one without markings is the intake cam.
Intake side also has that big VVT dongle, while exhaust side just has the sprocket.
Intake cam happens to be deeper in the engine bay, so likely less cooled due to less airflow, so it's more prone to varnish that is starting up.

The one with the markings is the exhaust cam. The one without markings is the intake cam.
Intake side also has that big VVT dongle, while exhaust side just has the sprocket.
Intake cam happens to be deeper in the engine bay, so likely less cooled due to less airflow, so it's more prone to varnish that is starting up.
Interesting that the intake camshaft side has more varnish. Goes to show that running the oil up to temperature is good practice. I still think it looks good for 165k. You've obviously done your homework & I've known about these having the Toyota engines in them. You're not having to pay those prices to pick one of these up. I think even some Saturn Vue's had Honda 6 cylinder engines in them as another example of outsourcing.

Interesting that the intake camshaft side has more varnish. Goes to show that running the oil up to temperature is good practice. I still think it looks good for 165k. You've obviously done your homework & I've known about these having the Toyota engines in them. You're not having to pay those prices to pick one of these up. I think even some Saturn Vue's had Honda 6 cylinder engines in them as another example of outsourcing.
Yup. Saturn Vue RedLine, it was a speedy spacious nugget for it's time, since it's quite a bit lighter than the Honda Pilot with same engine. Unfortunately Honda transmission issues of that era sent many of those Saturns to the junkyard.

Ok, it will be leaking again in a year. ;)

Just had a blue fel-pro gasket shrink and cause a massive oil leak after 3K.
Is there something specific about the blue feel pro gaskets? I have them for the towers on my Cummins diesel.

The vibe/matrix is a cool car. We test drove a manual version years ago and I thought it was the one to get. She didn’t.
That's my third Vibe. The first two were previous generation.
One was a meticulously maintained 2003 FWD. Never any issues for me, I sold it at 280K.
Second one was 2008 AWD, and turned out to be an ex-fleet vehicle that looked super clean, but wasn't maintained at all. Thick crusty sludge under valve covers on that one. Lots of issues due to lack of maintenance, so I sold it quick: purchased at 90k miles, sold at a little over 100k.
Also had a 2009 Scion xB, which is a cousin of my current Vibe. Despite having same 2.4L engine - it was a lot thirstier on fuel than my current Vibe. But thankfully also had no oil consumption. Up until two deer decided to jump in front of it at 5AM.

Oh and btw - 2003-2008 (1zz-fe) 5-speed manual Vibe/Matrix has a weak transmission, not very reliable. The 6-speed with the more powerful engine (2zz-fe) is a reliable unit though. And that 6-speed is a direct bolt upgrade to the 1zz engine.

Last edited:
Back