2009 Matrix Bosal muffler

Status
Not open for further replies.
The muffler on the wifes Toyota Matrix has blown internally, the most reasonable muffer replacments seems to be a Bosal from Rock Auto ($125 ca)

Are Bosal mufflers any good?

Bosal mufflers aren't that good. In particular, Bosal seems to have the most problems actually fitting on cars they're supposed to fit on.

Walker is better

I put one on a Versa a few years ago and it fit perfectly to the factory pipe flange. Never had a problem with Bosal but usually only used them for imports.

Originally Posted By: expat
The muffler on the wifes Toyota Matrix has blown internally, the most reasonable muffer replacments seems to be a Bosal from Rock Auto ($125 ca)

Are Bosal mufflers any good?

Bosal is usually junk. Walker is better but most of the aftermarket exhaust segment is usually aluminized steel junk. If you live in areas with snow and salt, the aluminized steel exhaust parts will be showing surface rust after one winter and will probably spring leaks or fail structurally in two to three winters. I'm not talking about internal failure either between baffles, but holes through to the outside.

I'd look into how much going OEM costs and factor whether the cost difference is worth having to replace aluminized [censored] multiple times in the what, 9 years the last part lasted you?

(that is assuming the one you're replacing is OEM and this is the first replacement)

I have a 2009 car with an original OEM exhaust. I've used both Walker and Bosal exhaust parts (both pipes and a cat) on another car. The 2009 car has a clean exhaust system nine years later in 2018, the other car I used the Walker and Bosal exhaust parts on were showing massive amounts of rust a few months after installation.

I only have experience with walker and never had a problem. I never heard bad about bosal and ansa always thought they were just as good. Possibly ansa or bosal is oe supplier.

Last edited:
Most I have seen are raspy and poor fitting rather a Walker if going aftermarket. For some cars like VW that have a unusually large odd shaped mufflers Walker is trash and with OE over $600 the Bosal is a better alternative.
For this VW application it seems they dig into the OE parts bin and ship that, the sound is OE as it fit and finish and corrosion so its a hit an miss.

I've used a Bosal flex pipe - it did bolt up with no incident but it wasn't an exact OEM replica either.

Toyota mufflers are expensive - but they use stainless steel piping and bodies as well as mandrel bends.

Walker does make a stainless steel muffler - they also supply Toyota's US-built cars with exhaust parts but aftermarket ain't an exact OEM interchange. And there's guys at muffler shops who are welding hacks as stainless welds differenly than mild steel. It's worth a look though:

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/products/mufflers-muffler-assemblies/quiet-flow-ss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back