2009 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L - 4,818 OCI - 150,000 miles - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20

This is from memory, but plenty of owner's manuals available online if someone wants to verify. But Honda recommends inspecting the valves clearance every 25k miles, and adjust them at 100k miles or if they become noisy, whichever comes first.
  • Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 only if they are noisy.

FWIW, I've only ever had "A 1" come up, which is oil and tire rotation, in the 30,000 miles we've had it. That said, valves should have been adjusted at 100,000. We haven't done it yet, and they definitely need it.

As for any sort of maintenance schedule, I've never found anything official. I have the owners manual and shop manual and, while they're probably the best of both types of manuals that I've ever used, neither mentions a real maintenance schedule. The closest thing is the table about the Maintenance Minder.

From the owners manual:

Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 8.48.21 AM.jpg

From the shop manual:
Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 8.49.01 AM.jpgScreenshot 2023-08-06 at 8.49.22 AM.jpg

FWIW, I've only ever had "A 1" come up, which is oil and tire rotation, in the 30,000 miles we've had it. That said, valves should have been adjusted at 100,000. We haven't done it yet, and they definitely need it.

As for any sort of maintenance schedule, I've never found anything official. I have the owners manual and shop manual and, while they're probably the best of both types of manuals that I've ever used, neither mentions a real maintenance schedule. The closest thing is the table about the Maintenance Minder.

From the owners manual:

View attachment 171186

From the shop manual:
View attachment 171187View attachment 171188
My 2017 Camry manual is 10,000 , BUT, 5,000 for Severe Service. I figure, in Texas , it's all Severe Service so my oci is about 5.

This is from memory, but plenty of owner's manuals available online if someone wants to verify. But Honda recommends inspecting the valves clearance every 25k miles, and adjust them at 100k miles or if they become noisy, whichever comes first.
I did a bing search just now & some model Honda engines used a non Hydraulic system for their camshaft lift system. Using flat tappet valves or non hydraulic roller valves I'm not sure but I find that interesting and cost cutting at the same time. I've never owned a honda so thanks for the heads up!

Looks good. I'd stay with the MM and a 5k oci.
Exactly! Follow the MM for everything. It’s a no brainer. I’ve got a 2012 Fit (150k) and didn’t do a valve adjustment or change plugs until the MM told me to, at about 120k. Valves were all in spec. I still set the exhaust to max and intake to middle specs. And the plugs looked like they had another 100k I’m them. Also did the coolant and brake fluid too.

I never really got the desire to go out of your way to use the ultra platinum. In this case it would be easier to just walk into the store and buy the platinum and I bet the results would be the same.
Different oils according to the Lab, but you could be correct about the results

My Fit is a '12..... I'm due for an oil change so I probably ought to send in a sample just to compare. It's only at 34K miles.

I just follow the maintenance minder that pops up every 8-10k miles. At 118k I was told to adjust the valves, change plugs, and change all the fluids (brake and clutch fluid, coolant, transmission, engine oil), replace engine and cabin filters. Up until that point I’d done all fluid’s and filters at least twice as recommended by the maintenance minder, but not the plugs or valve adjustment. They had tightened up. Exhaust more than Intakes. However I readjusted them to max on the EX and middle for the IN. I’m not sure I’ll ever have to adjust them again.

I just follow the maintenance minder that pops up every 8-10k miles. At 118k I was told to adjust the valves, change plugs, and change all the fluids (brake and clutch fluid, coolant, transmission, engine oil), replace engine and cabin filters. Up until that point I’d done all fluid’s and filters at least twice as recommended by the maintenance minder, but not the plugs or valve adjustment. They had tightened up. Exhaust more than Intakes. However I readjusted them to max on the EX and middle for the IN. I’m not sure I’ll ever have to adjust them again.
On my Hondas it's the same: Intake valves loosen up, and Exhaust valves tighten up. Which is why there are so many Hondas with burnt exhaust valves for sale, at least locally.

Back