2009 Honda CRV Recall - Rear Frame Corrosion?

So I've been watching ours and then this happened yesterday....
Screenshot_20230516_072801_Messenger.jpg

Thankfully it was in town and at low speed. The rear camber and toe are waaaayyyy off. I towed it home, and will wait for the dealer to make up their mind. Thankfully we have another vehicle.

I washed thus car at least weekly for the 10 years we have owned it. I own a power washer, and it gets washed underneath well. But obviously crud sat in here 🙄

Thankfully it was in town and at low speed. The rear camber and toe are waaaayyyy off. I towed it home, and will wait for the dealer to make up their mind. Thankfully we have another vehicle.

I washed thus car at least weekly for the 10 years we have owned it. I own a power washer, and it gets washed underneath well. But obviously crud sat in here 🙄

man, thanks for posting. I might need to call my dealer again - no notice here yet. what state?

man, thanks for posting. I might need to call my dealer again - no notice here yet. what state?
I'm in Maine.
A great reason to use a cavity wax or similar product instead of trying to wash crud out of tight spaces.
Yes, I now use various rust prevention measures in all places.

I spent a day and a half on my new van with CRC brand marine rust prevention. It's been 3 years and I touch up every fall.

I wish I was in a place 10 years ago to have done this with our honda.

So I've been watching ours and then this happened yesterday....View attachment 156342

I'm glad no one was hurt. I'd report this incident to the NHTSA if you haven't done so already. It's clearly an inadvertent design defect on the part of Honda's engineers to allow stagnant fluid accumulation in the recessed parts of the unibody.

My inspection appointment is scheduled for Friday, May 26. I still haven't received a personalized recall notice in the mail, but got impatient yesterday and called my local Honda dealer. There was no hesitation on their part, so I'm assuming they have the support brace in stock and can handle the repair. I can't confidently predict the outcome, as I and my CR-V spent just two and a half years in New Hampshire before heading west to California. I've been diligent with washing for the over 15 years I've owned the car, but three winters of New England salt and the imperfect frame design still have me concerned. At just over 114K on the odometer, it would be a shame to see the car's life cut short by a corrosion issue.

My inspection appointment is scheduled for Friday, May 26. I still haven't received a personalized recall notice in the mail, but got impatient yesterday and called my local Honda dealer. There was no hesitation on their part, so I'm assuming they have the support brace in stock and can handle the repair. I can't confidently predict the outcome, as I and my CR-V spent just two and a half years in New Hampshire before heading west to California.

Let us know how it works out.

I'm curious what happens if they can't add the new part, and it has to be scrapped.

A couple guys on the CRV board are complaining about being low balled on offers. Hopefully just BS. (I don't trust much of what I read there anyway).

Ours is at the dealer, been there all week. No word back from them yet. I was hoping to sell this car for around $6k this year. I'm hoping they either fix it, or offer me in the 6k range.

I'm curious what happens if they can't add the new part, and it has to be scrapped.

A couple guys on the CRV board are complaining about being low balled on offers. Hopefully just BS. (I don't trust much of what I read there anyway).

I've very good news to report. The dealer mechanic performed a detailed underbody inspection, assessed very little corrosion in the affected rear frame area, was able to remove the rear trailing arm bolt without any collateral carnage, and attached the support brace. I was back on the road in less than 3 hours. Onward I go toward my goal of a 20-25 year service life from this trusty chariot.

My Wifes CRV received this recall as well. I know the car has been in GA for the vast majority of its life. I've been under the car and ours is spotless underneath. Been debating whether or not I will bother to take it in..

So I've been watching ours and then this happened yesterday....View attachment 156342

How did that pass the state inspection?
Anyone wondering if state inspections are valuable for catching safety issues, this is Exhibit A. showing a big, glaring miss.

How did that pass the state inspection?
Anyone wondering if state inspections are valuable for catching safety issues, this is Exhibit A. showing a big, glaring miss.
I have my state inspection license. It was inspected a year ago, and looked fine. I've been under many vehicles which looked much worse.

No 13 year old vehicles are rust-free. It's not like you can drill holes to determine how thick rusty metal is. There were no holes rusted through last October.

My notice just came on Friday. I've looked underneath and don't see anything to be concerned with but I'll get it inspected just to be safe. Pretty sure with all the potholes in Jersey, corrosive materials can't cling long enough to cause any damage!

My dealer ignored my emails and the recall no longer shows up when I search my vin on NHTSA or the Honda recall site. I assume this is because it’s registered in South Dakota. I crawled underneath to take a look. There is plenty of surface rust in the concern areas but the frame still feels solid. I was surprised at the amount of other things I found that are rusty though. There are brackets on the exhaust that are rusting through and my rear CV axle shafts are starting to look pretty sketchy.

Attachments

• 3EE6C4D4-1844-462E-ADE9-57DA8504278B.jpeg
    3EE6C4D4-1844-462E-ADE9-57DA8504278B.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 8B57663E-0C9F-4532-9522-8B53146FEA81.jpeg
    8B57663E-0C9F-4532-9522-8B53146FEA81.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 31
  • F177F5F0-18EE-457F-9D16-05BAEADE6419.jpeg
    F177F5F0-18EE-457F-9D16-05BAEADE6419.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 31
My dealer ignored my emails and the recall no longer shows up when I search my vin on NHTSA or the Honda recall site. I assume this is because it’s registered in South Dakota. I crawled underneath to take a look. There is plenty of surface rust in the concern areas but the frame still feels solid. I was surprised at the amount of other things I found that are rusty though. There are brackets on the exhaust that are rusting through and my rear CV axle shafts are starting to look pretty sketchy.
Mine looks similar. I'm wondering if the first bolt is what they have to try to spin out as part of the inspection.

Update here - mine passed and they installed the bracket. It took about 3 hours. (Some of that was also a state inspection).

I did laugh when they presented the $1089 in "recommended" services estimate.

As a suggestion - make sure the dealer will have the bracket in stock. Apparently it gets ordered when you make the appointment (at my dealer anyway). For some reason, mine didn't get ordered, and I almost had to come back.

After several back and forth emails with Title, registration, and other documents.

I just got an email with a buyback offer. They offered my $9,750 for my 2010 with 175,000 miles on it!

I am more than happy with that amount. I felt fair market value if I were to sell it locally (before the rear suspension came apart) was $6,500.

I've signed a document and faxed it back to them essentially selling it back to Honda of America.

Apparently they have a wrecking partner who will pick it up so it can be "destroyed" as it is no longer safe to drive.

After several back and forth emails with Title, registration, and other documents.

I just got an email with a buyback offer. They offered my $9,750 for my 2010 with 175,000 miles on it!

I am more than happy with that amount. I felt fair market value if I were to sell it locally (before the rear suspension came apart) was $6,500.

I've signed a document and faxed it back to them essentially selling it back to Honda of America.

Apparently they have a wrecking partner who will pick it up so it can be "destroyed" as it is no longer safe to drive.
That seems like a very fair offer. Good news.

Back