2009 Honda CRV Recall - Rear Frame Corrosion?

Hey folks:

I track my maintenance through the CARFAX app. Yesterday I received a notice about a recall and stop sale.

My google-fu was unable to find anything, other than a reference to a Canadian recall for rear frame corrosion. (I'm not in Canada).

Anyone see something similar? From what I could find, if the car fails the inspection, the dealer offers a buyback for market value, which I'm guessing is not retail value.

1680462309389.jpg

Last edited:
Quick, park the back end at the salt water boat ramp for a few nights before you get the recall letter and visit dealer. I should've taken pictures off all the Tundras/Tacomas at the beach in frame high water a few years back.

Carfax can be hit or miss with recall enough. Run the vin by https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls
ha! I kinda want to keep the car.

I'll run the VIN and see what I find.

So it gets weirder.

The person I spoke with said Honda is doing this to notify owners, but has not decided on a path forward with dealers.

Somewhat of an odd response, as it looks like the only real notification would be going to someone that pulls a Carfax while trying to buy a used car. Honda must be afraid of people picking up a used model and having it collapse.

I was not able to find many rear frames available at junkyards. From Honda, the part is ~$600. I amm kicking around keeping it and trying to fix it myself if I need to.

Not that I would, but part of me wonders if I could try to dump it off on Carvana. I bet if I took it to a dealer as a trade in, I would get a parts car price.

I think that OP is talking about this:

great car. And alas, many eligible people won't hear about this recall as they'll ignore the notice and/or older cars often don't make a trip to a Honda dealer.

thanks all...appreciate it.

I noticed a bit of rust around the rear control arms. nothing crazy, but it made me think a replacement would require some torch work.

Honestly have never heard of a recall on a 14 year old car, isn't the limit 15, or did I dream that?

I wonder how many of the 564k are still on the road? I see a few now and then.

This is good news for anyone in the rust belt, not just owners of old CRV' but anyone that drives in vicinity of a potential disaster CRV. Now if the owners could only be FORCED to get the work done!
I lived in a few of the states on the list. Maryland (where I bought my CRV) in particular was really scary, as there was no annual inspection (when I lived there anyway). I bet most of the other states have something in place to weed out the total disasters. My concern was that they would make PA the cutoff, and I would have to fight with Honda to get an inspection.

don't bother calling your dealer yet, they are not scheduling appointments.

I have a decision to make - was going to start looking for a new car, but I might have to hold this CRV for a while to see what happens.

My 2010 is recalled as well. We are actively looking for something newer and a bit bigger. My plan was to sell the CRV on fb or Craigslist locally. But I will see what happens.

My 2009 is included in the recall per Honda’s website, but according to the news releases I’ve seen on this recall South Dakota isn’t included. I guess we aren’t considered a rust belt state even though we salt our roads and Wikipedia says we are. I live 20 miles from the Minnesota border which is covered in the recall. Will be interesting to see what happens.

My 2009 is included in the recall per Honda’s website, but according to the news releases I’ve seen on this recall South Dakota isn’t included. I guess we aren’t considered a rust belt state even though we salt our roads and Wikipedia says we are. I live 20 miles from the Minnesota border which is covered in the recall. Will be interesting to see what happens.
ooph...I ran into something similar with Mazda and the first round of the Takata airbag recall.

did your vehicle spend any time in a recall state? if they don't include you, it sounds like a letter to Honda might be in order, explaining your situation and proximity to the state line. just a guess, but I have a feeling the amount of vehicles on still on the road in SD is small. (meaning very little skin off their nose to include you). if you picked it up used, maybe suggest while Honda may know where it was registered, it may have been spent time away from that state. (especially if it was a lease, rental, etc).

ooph...I ran into something similar with Mazda and the first round of the Takata airbag recall.

did your vehicle spend any time in a recall state? if they don't include you, it sounds like a letter to Honda might be in order, explaining your situation and proximity to the state line. just a guess, but I have a feeling the amount of vehicles on still on the road in SD is small. (meaning very little skin off their nose to include you). if you picked it up used, maybe suggest while Honda may know where it was registered, it may have been spent time away from that state. (especially if it was a lease, rental, etc).
Mine has been family owned in SD since new. I’ve had it since 2016. Unfortunately it lives outside year round so I am concerned about what it looks like underneath. There are actually still lots of 3rd gen CR-Vs on the road here. We have 3 Honda dealers in the entire state (2 in eastern SD and 1 in the Black Hills lol) and the one in Sioux Falls would get a ton of business from SW Minnesota. I’d imagine they’ll be doing a lot of recalls on MN vehicles and would at least inspect it and go to bat with Honda for me if anything needed to be done. I had a great experience with them with both of my Takata recalls. My plan is to wait until the letters come out, see if I get one or not, and reach out to the dealer if I don’t.

I'm surprised it took this long, in Canada, notices were sent out in 2019. Our 2008 was taken care of in Canada because HOA had no idea. We drove it home, had the recall done and then drove it back to SoFlo.

Dealers will inspect the rear frame for corrosion and determine the remedy based on the ability to remove the rear trailing arm bolt.

If the rear trailing arm bolt can be removed, the dealer will attach a support brace to the rear frame which will lower the risk of a severe crash if the trailing arm fails. Should the trailing arm bolt fall off with the trailing arm held on by the bracket, the dealer will eithe
1) repair the frame, or
2) offer to repurchase the vehicle

If the rear trailing arm bolt cannot be removed, the dealer will either
1) repair the frame, or
2) offer to repurchase the vehicle

Dealer notification is scheduled to begin and end on or about 03/31/2023. Owner notification is scheduled to begin and end on or about 05/08/2023.

Back