2009 Final Truck sales numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Haliburton has some to beat on also.

IIRC, at one time Haliburton was the single largest "private" buyer of Ford F series trucks. Those red and grey trucks took a beating too!

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
316,544 + 111,252 still beats 413,625.... and has for years and years and years.

I know this sounds strange, and you may even say it's not true. But I swear it is.

My father has driven GMC trucks personally and for his business for the last fourty years. If they shut down GMC Truck, he'll never buy a Chevy, he'll be straight to the Ford dealer. We've talked about it many times and he understands perfectly the illogic it employs, but there it is. I'm hoping they do shut down GMC Truck division and go Chevy only, that way he'll get into a Ford like I've been working on him to do for twenty years....lol.

I wouldn't do that, the F-150 is nice, make no mistake. But I love the new GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado (especially the Sierra). They look sharp, and the interiors are wonderful (looked at one at an auto show last spring)

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Here's the final truck sales numbers as posted on Edmunds.com
#1. Ford 413,625 (down 19.8% over '08)
34.gif

#2. Chev Silv. 316,544 (down 32.1% over '08)
#3. Dodge Ram 177,268 (down 27.9% over '08)
#4. GMC Sierra 111,252 (down 34% over '08)
#5. Toyota Tundra 79,385 (down 42.2% over '08)
#6. >>>>>Nissan Tundra Well I say kudo's to Ford and I guess it's pretty hard to knock off the F150. What say you import kool aid drinkers?

Nissan Titan BTW

The company I worked for before I retired did a lot of industrial repair work. We had many work trucks coming and going during the day and 7 out 10 were Fords. We had two Fords for shop trucks and those things were abused badly. Poor oil changes, a lot of short deliveries, at times way over loaded, in general neglect, but they hardly ever broke down.

Originally Posted By: kevco
I think one factor for Ford is that many companys and local goverments use them as a fleet truck and buy them in bulk. I know where I work we got about 5 new F150s.

Not where I work. The agency I work for will NOT buy ANY Fords (except CV and those are gone so Dodges) and most trucks we have bought for the last 7 years has been a Toyota, Chevy or Dodge. We bought 2 Fords in 2007 and they have "issues".

Originally Posted By: Troy_Built
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
316,544 + 111,252 still beats 413,625.... and has for years and years and years.

...by less than 3%, by a company that is in the red and may never recover.

I have used the GM trucks for work, too, but they just aren't the work tool that the F-series is.
crackmeup2.gif

WHat are you laughing at?

The Ford koolaid....
smirk2.gif

I would not bash the import trucks, or GM trucks, but I do maintain that the F-150 and Super Duty trucks in general have been at the top of their game in terms of quality, versatility, and value (I have driven, worked on, used for work, old and new F-series trucks) for EVER.

AND the 2010-2011 F-series lineup is better than EVER! Ford is making a truly great product in their trucks.

+1

tig1,

I think that's the new bottom line, together with now offering a truck for virtually every conceivable business need (has anybody read up on Ford's 2011 truck models and options? ).

I have used the GM trucks for work, too, but they just aren't the work tool that the F-series is.

The Ford koolaid....
smirk2.gif

that's not koolaid. it's a positive opinion of Ford trucks in a narrowly defined segment.

A Ford truck is what I would pick for the jobsite, and a Buick sedan is what I would (and do) drive home in.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS

I know this sounds strange, and you may even say it's not true. But I swear it is.

My father has driven GMC trucks personally and for his business for the last fourty years. If they shut down GMC Truck, he'll never buy a Chevy, he'll be straight to the Ford dealer. We've talked about it many times and he understands perfectly the illogic it employs, but there it is. I'm hoping they do shut down GMC Truck division and go Chevy only, that way he'll get into a Ford like I've been working on him to do for twenty years....lol.

I'm a GMC owner and I'm right there with your dad. Well, maybe not buy a Ford but I won't immediately buy a Chevy.

I know several GMC owners and all have pretty much the same attitude.

It's not really illogical; GMC is a brand just like any other. If our preferred brand disappears, all the remaining brands must compete for our business. No different than a restaurant chain going out of business, or a shoe store at the mall. One company closes its doors, all the others have to compete for customers.

The Ford koolaid....
smirk2.gif

that's not koolaid. it's a positive opinion of Ford trucks in a narrowly defined segment.

A Ford truck is what I would pick for the jobsite, and a Buick sedan is what I would (and do) drive home in.

Here in the heartland you see more Chevys, Fords, and Dodges than in the west and east. My son lives in Florida and he notices that every time he comes here to visit.
A friend here locally works for Air Products as a outside serviceman. All their maint. trucks are Ford service trucks with the V-10 gas engine. His latest truck has well over 200,000 miles with few problems.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna

Doesn't mean much, but I have hope for GM. Anyway not to hijack the thread. Ford will probably do even better once they replace the weak 5.4L with the 3.5L V6, the Ecoboost V6, and the 5.0L V8.

This is a hot topic on a lot of the Ford truck forums.

The big problem with the Ecoboost V6 will be marketing...you have to convince full-size truck buyers that a V8 isn't always the answer.

Heck, there are a LOT of people who think the Cummins is inferior because it's not a V8.

I have a Ram with a Cummins, and I've been asked more than once "how come you didn't get the big engine?"

Originally Posted By: robbobster

I have a Ram with a Cummins, and I've been asked more than once "how come you didn't get the big engine?"

*If* I was going to buy a 1 ton truck (my feeling is *if* you really (most people do not) need a heavy duty truck get a ton plus diesel) the Cummins is the ONLY engine I'd get. If I had to get a Dodge then so be it.

The Fords I'm NOT impressed with and Chevy's is only slightly better. The Cummins is head and shoulders above either.

They folks who ask you why you did not get the "big" engine shows me how LITTLE they know.
06.gif

Bill

I've been stuck with driving a greenish-brown 2008 F-150 4x4 while my Silverado is recovering from being slammed in the back, by an idiot going 30mph... while I was stopped.

I can't get rid of that F-150 soon enough. It gets about 10 miles to the gallon no matter how I drive it, and rides like a old grain truck. I can't read the odometer (compass and outside temperature) because the backlight is broken on it, and the climate control has two temperatures. COLD and HOT, with no various degrees of "warm" in between.

On country roads, the bed shakes like it is ready to fall off. The fuel gauge seems to be only a guess as to what is actually in the tank. It will display different fuel levels from when I shut it off, to when I start it up the next time, varying by as much as 1/4 of a tank.

Honestly, I'm not impressed with it, and I think the insurance company that is paying for it is getting ripped off. But that part, I simply don't care about. My life for the last month would have been a lot more pleasant if their insured would have been paying attention to his driving, and hadn't slammed into me.

I have driven ford issued work trucks namely the f150 and a f450, my 1500 chevy and the 2500 company truck is just more comfortable to ride, and they take more of a beating.

regardless , ford will be my next truck unless the GM stock is in private hands again.

Last edited:
WHat are you laughing at?[/quote]

Oh, Troy Built, you have reformed me! Fords are the best! Thank you for showing me the light! [/quote]

Your welcome!

I've been stuck with driving a greenish-brown 2008 F-150 4x4 while my Silverado is recovering from being slammed in the back, by an idiot going 30mph... while I was stopped.

I can't get rid of that F-150 soon enough. It gets about 10 miles to the gallon no matter how I drive it, and rides like a old grain truck. I can't read the odometer (compass and outside temperature) because the backlight is broken on it, and the climate control has two temperatures. COLD and HOT, with no various degrees of "warm" in between.

On country roads, the bed shakes like it is ready to fall off. The fuel gauge seems to be only a guess as to what is actually in the tank. It will display different fuel levels from when I shut it off, to when I start it up the next time, varying by as much as 1/4 of a tank.

Honestly, I'm not impressed with it, and I think the insurance company that is paying for it is getting ripped off. But that part, I simply don't care about. My life for the last month would have been a lot more pleasant if their insured would have been paying attention to his driving, and hadn't slammed into me.

I really think this a very isolated incident...Your Ford truck must have severely abused big time...There are a bunch of contractors doing work in my complex now and they are all using Ford trucks...I asked a couple of them when I got home last night if they had any issues with them and they said zero issues...I have never ever heard anyone complain about a Ford work truck like that before...Where I worked before in Upstate New York we had several Ford work trucks and had no issues with them whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

I really think this a very isolated incident...Your Ford truck must have severely abused big time...There are a bunch of contractors doing work in my complex now and they are all using Ford trucks...I asked a couple of them when I got home last night if they had any issues with them and they said zero issues...I have never ever heard anyone complain about a Ford work truck like that before...Where I worked before in Upstate New York we had several Ford work trucks and had no issues with them whatsoever.

IIRC, when he first posted about this truck, it had dents and a pile of strange symptoms and conditions which pointed to what he figured: it had been a rental for a contractor. Which would explain the condition.

I would definitely not be using this example as the one to measure the truck by.

I'm sure if I treated his Silverado in the same manner as this truck has been treated then lent it to him he'd have some interesting things to say about it as well.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

IIRC, when he first posted about this truck, it had dents and a pile of strange symptoms and conditions which pointed to what he figured: it had been a rental for a contractor. Which would explain the condition.

I would definitely not be using this example as the one to measure the truck by.

I'm sure if I treated his Silverado in the same manner as this truck has been treated then lent it to him he'd have some interesting things to say about it as well.

So much for "Built Ford tough".

We have not had Fords at work for many years but still have a few left when we only bought them and they have been problem children well above the other trucks we have.(A reason why we don't buy Fords anymore) Power Steering pumps, front end problems, transmissions, poor plastic interior parts, tail gates that will not stay closed and other things.

Every one has had the following;

Gas gauge dead.

Automatic indicator in dash off or dead.

Power Steering whine that you can hear a block away.

and I can go on. They do last but require $$$ to keep them running. Our oldest one has over 200k miles and most of them are close to that number.

Our Toyotas were much better before the 2007 came on. I've got a 2007 (my truck that I share with one other guy) that eats brakes like crazy and rides horrible on cement freeways around here. My old 2005 was a better truck (a little smaller) but made better IMO.

The new Dodges that another department have been getting seem to be nice. They only have 40-50k on them so who knows how long they will last but so far I'm impressed.

Now to be fair, our agency WORKS the trucks. A lot of 4x4 use, idling is the rule (to power light bars, radios and computers) and carrying a lot of equipment.

I've heard that a few of the Chevys *may* come on line for a 2 year test. Other agency's within the state use them and are very happy. Some other Cities use the Tahoes for Police cars and love them.

Most of the Police departments seem to hate the Charger except the UHP. They love anything!
48.gif
The CrownVic is the STANDARD for Police units IMO.

I used to be a Ford guy beyond. MY first Ford truck was a 1971 F250 with a 360 (NOT a good motor) a few more to my 1994 that burned to the ground and was replaced with a POS made me buy my first Chevy truck in 1996.

I've never looked back. (and that Chevy has well over 250k miles and still going pretty well rust free).

In 2001 I bought a Ford Taurus which ate 2 sets of head gaskets in its first 108k miles. That was with the iron block / iron head Vulcan V6

(Damm I'm sounding like Arco here...
shocked2.gif
)

So unlike some members I've owned a few brands so I talk about what works for me. MY uncle is a Ford only guy and it just amazes me when he continues to buy trucks because the old one is having problems. (he had a F350 with a 351 (I told him to get at least a 460) that has major problems. He would not drive anything other but cusses out his vehicles more than anyone I've seen.

Bill

come on guys enough with which truck is best thing. Every one has there own opinion of which one is best and such we really get nothing out of threads that go this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back