2009 Camry - Can I Just Remove The Rear Sway Bar?

So my weekend adventure of new rear struts, sway bar links and sway bar bushings on the 2009 Camry beater went nearly flawlessly.
Until I spun off the head of one of the bracket bolts for the sway bar bushings.
So I tried to drill out the broken bolt and Murphy's law struck so now I have a broken drill stuck inside the sheared bolt.
That ended my Saturday adventure.

So I asked around at the dependable corner garage this morning and the mechanic stated that if it was his car he'd just weld the bracket back on or, alternatively, take the whole sway bar off and continue to drive the vehicle.
Please note, this car is an around town beater with 225k+ on it. I only did the struts because I got them on closeout at Amazon and the ones on the car looked original.
I understand that no rear sway bar can sometimes result in additional understeer but I'm just driving this thing to do local errands.

Opinions???

Thanks for your help.
Its raining out now and I'm not going to lay on the ground in the rain to take a picture.
The broken bolt/drill is relatively accessable. It is, however, a blind hole into the frame and not accessable from behind.

I totally understand.

I saw a picture on youtube, is that piece that it secures into a square piece of tubing or was that the wrong model year I was looking at?

I totally understand.

I saw a picture on youtube, is that piece that it secures into a square piece of tubing or was that the wrong model year I was looking at?
Yes, it looks like square-ish tubing, which is apparently inaccessible from the rear. At least based on what I could see.

The vehicle is safe to drive without the rear sway bar. You will experience more body roll, and in general, a more sloppy driving experience. Pushing it in a turn will more likely cause it to plow like a John Deere. This effect may be exasperated by limited traction in snow.

Do you have a welder? This will likely be the last time it needs the sway bar removed. Weld that bracket on.

You could try a hammer and punch to smash what's left of that captive nut and broken bolt out of the way. You may be blessed with a new rattle, but probably not.

What about a new nut, you say? Tape it inside a fly swatter handle then fish it in from elsewhere. Cut a 1x1 inch hole if you have to. (Maybe through the trunk floor? Dimple the opposite side with your punch and see where it pops up.) "Catch" the nut with a few inches of allthread, get your bracket on, put another nut on the outside, then grind a flat on the end of the all-thread so you can get a vise grip on it while you torque the outer nut.

OP here.
So I found an acquaintance with a welder so we'll be fixing it to as close to correct as can reasonably be had here over this coming weekend.

Thanks to all for your insight and suggestions.

Why don't you tack the broken bit and remove it then finish tapping the hole. The only problem I have with welding the bracket is it may damage the bushing with heat then good luck replacing it.

Reactions: JC1
Can I Just Remove The Rear Sway Bar?

Yes, but you will notice the difference and won't like driving the car as much. Yes, this is based on personal experience.

When I ADDED a rear sway bar, the steering wheel was no longer vague, and developed on-center feel. Of course, the vehicle also had reduced body roll.

I did the same with my front bracket. But many people say you can not drive without a front sway but you can drive without a rear sway.

I know many cars from the 90s didn't have sway bars or if they did, they would be very skinny bars.

I lost the front sway bar on my car once, the sway bar link popped. I drove around for a month thinking it was leaning just a bit in the turns... but it's a Camry, they all do that, right? I'm guessing that if I lost the rear I'd never notice.

Around town I'd guess you'd be fine but the one time you loan it out... Anyhow, glad you figured it out. Well, have a plan to tackle it all the same.

Back