2009 BMW 3 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I could search and search and find some things, but there's so many BMW people on here that a quick response would be really helpful.

My co worker just bought a 2009 3 series BMW. I am not sure of the exact model. She just told me picked it up since her friend works a dealership and she got a good deal. It has 49k on it. Auto.

I am going to go ahead and assume most recommended maintenance stuff for this car happens right at the 40k mark and nothing has been done.

I am going to take a look at the car and take it for a spin. Any specific order of things you would tackle first as far as preventative maintenance goes? Thanks!

Control arm bushes are known to go bad on those models pretty fast. A lot of folk gave up on the rubber ones and installed powerflex polly ones.

Get the car's service history. It should've had the 4/50 no-cost maintenance and shouldn't need anything for a while.

I hope so too! I asked her if it has it's service records. She gave me the "umm... I'm not sure".

Originally Posted By: jigen
Well I found out its the 335xi. AWD and Turbo, right?

Yep; I'd change the oil every 8k, slushbox/transfer case/final drives every 50k-60k. DOT4 brake fluid every two years, BMW Coolant every three years. Run quality fuel as well

Originally Posted By: jigen
I hope so too! I asked her if it has it's service records. She gave me the "umm... I'm not sure".

All she has to do is take the key to the service department. They can pull the records in 30 seconds and print it out.

yup
smile.gif
If it was serviced at BMW, FOB will have all the info ...

Change the oil right away, if its like my experience. I bought an 07 BMW from a non-BMW dealer, and right away found out they changed the oil as part of their "standard procedure", except they just used bulk SM 5w-30 oil. Thats OK for a while, like 4,000 miles or 4 months anyway! .... On the 07 530xi, the control arm bushings do go out between 60,000 and 100,000 miles with near certainty, according to my BMW dealership and the web rumors too. Mine just hit 100,000 miles and the control arm bushings are bad. Also, some transmissions (like mine!!) get a mechatronic sleeve leak, very common again, but there is no transmission dipstick so you just have to look for leaks. Other than that, I'd say don't worry about changing any fluid (ok, maybe brake fluid) for another year or so, not enough miles/time to worry about much right now. Just make sure all fluid levels are up.

The coolant and PS fluid is "life time" but many change early. I did.

Brakes will last a long time.

ATF pan drop is all that's required per ZF. 45-60k miles under their "severe service " recommendations. Use OEM fluid for the front transfer case. The ATF fluid is probably fine judging by the MY and miles.

She may need new spark plugs. IIRC the interval for that turbo I6 was reduced to 40-45k miles. Service records would tell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Skid
Me thinks that ordinary people (not gearheads) are waaaaaaay better off buying something basic and new (Civic, Corolla, etc.) than a used luxury car.

And miss out on rebuilding the front end and a transmission leak?

Me thinks that ordinary people (not gearheads) are waaaaaaay better off buying something basic and new (Civic, Corolla, etc.) than a used luxury car.

Ain't that the truth! I can't tell you how many nights I've laid in bed thinking: "I wish I'd bought a Corolla."
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: MCompact
I can't tell you how many nights I've laid in bed thinking: "I wish I'd bought a Corolla."

crackmeup2.gif

Gosh, doesn't it just haunt you?

Corolla guys need to put a little peanut butter on their cracker every now and then.....

BMW 's are just better... you just can' t afford one....!

Famous last words of a friend of a friend... just before the tranny failed...!

BMW's are machines like every other car, with their own strengths and weaknesses. A used BMW will need repairs, just like a used Ford, Honda, Mercedes etc. Only some people don't get that...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MCompact

Ain't that the truth! I can't tell you how many nights I've laid in bed thinking: "I wish I'd bought a Corolla."
19.gif

You, unlike some BMW buyers I know, could probably tell me which wheels are driven, and what advantages come with said drivetrain layout...

Or, like some owners I've talked to, you could just state that IT is just BETTER... and why are you asking such stupid questions...gawd...get a life..!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back