2018 BMW 330i, any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone else on the board got a CPO 330i earlier this year (a light gold color). I was looking for the thread but couldn't find it. Anyway a mechanic chimed in and said the B48 engine was both durable and reliable. Good luck with the purchase. It's a very rewarding car to drive when you combine the seating position, responsiveness of the powertrain, and seamless integration of the infotainment system. The interior could be put together better but it's still a nice car.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
I'm like an addict right now for a BMW X5 50i 2020. Lease won't work for me so the price tag (90k) is just sickening but the lust is there. The term underbelly was used and he was right. BMW has had sooo many issues but the I6 turbo engine seems to be a solid one. It is impossible (or just dumb) to own without a big expensive extended warranty.

As also advised, look to Lexus. I will probably wise up and end up in a Lexus 350 F SPort and it's a beautiful car but NOT the driving experience of the X5 501. Difference is 30k less and RELIABLE!

We got a new X5 40i in February. Do yourself a favor and have the dealer order the car and do Performance Center Delivery. It is an amazing experience that adds nothing to the price of the car (all you have to do is fly down). This new X5 is one of the best driving vehicles of any type that I've ever driven; BMW really knocked it out of the park. There are a couple minor nits with related to first year production but so far we're happy with the vehicle and are getting great mileage for a 5,000# SUV (BTW even the 40i can do 0-60 in around 5 seconds, I think C&D just got 4.8).

Originally Posted by gofast182
I'm like an addict right now for a BMW X5 50i 2020. Lease won't work for me so the price tag (90k) is just sickening but the lust is there. The term underbelly was used and he was right. BMW has had sooo many issues but the I6 turbo engine seems to be a solid one. It is impossible (or just dumb) to own without a big expensive extended warranty.

As also advised, look to Lexus. I will probably wise up and end up in a Lexus 350 F SPort and it's a beautiful car but NOT the driving experience of the X5 501. Difference is 30k less and RELIABLE!

We got a new X5 40i in February. Do yourself a favor and have the dealer order the car and do Performance Center Delivery. It is an amazing experience that adds nothing to the price of the car (all you have to do is fly down). This new X5 is one of the best driving vehicles of any type that I've ever driven; BMW really knocked it out of the park. There are a couple minor nits with related to first year production but so far we're happy with the vehicle and are getting great mileage for a 5,000# SUV (BTW even the 40i can do 0-60 in around 5 seconds, I think C&D just got 4.8).

Thanks for the post bro. I've only had one BMW in the past and my experience was a-ok. 2008 with the Inline 6 and that was an awesome engine. I've read everything for the 19 X5. It does seem the horror stories, and they were true horror of the V8 is in the past. The I6 twin turbo is IMHO an awesome engine. I test drove one and love how it's no longer the mini-van feel, it feels BMW. Where my knees shake is I am a 250k mile kinda guy. They are just soooooo tech heavy and soooo expensive to repair.

Thanks for the post bro. I've only had one BMW in the past and my experience was a-ok. 2008 with the Inline 6 and that was an awesome engine. I've read everything for the 19 X5. It does seem the horror stories, and they were true horror of the V8 is in the past. The I6 twin turbo is IMHO an awesome engine. I test drove one and love how it's no longer the mini-van feel, it feels BMW. Where my knees shake is I am a 250k mile kinda guy. They are just soooooo tech heavy and soooo expensive to repair.

It's annoying how expensive they are to repair when a large reason for that expense is due to "luxury" marketing and expensive parts due to low sales volumes. For example in the US Toyota sold 243k Camry's in 2018 whereas BMW sold 383k vehicles total.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

It's annoying how expensive they are to repair when a large reason for that expense is due to "luxury" marketing and expensive parts due to low sales volumes. For example in the US Toyota sold 243k Camry's in 2018 whereas BMW sold 383k vehicles total.

And you have some serious R&D. BMW nailed the I6 turbo and they seem to have fixed the issues with the V8 turbo. It's the my heated/cooled cup holder is really $1,200 to repair? My headlight is how much? My side mirror clipped off at the mall can't be $800 just for the part? That the BMW fear that shakes my knees.

Get wired into the BMW enthusiast community. Joining BMW CCA is an excellent first step. In many cases I believe that those individuals who constantly bleat about expensive service and repair costs are motivated by a sour grapes mentality rather than any altruistic motive.

Hey, and they brought back oil dipstick for 5.0i
smile.gif

Dipstick is HUGE!!

Any real enthusiastic car guy wants/demands access to the stick! I'm [censored] over trans sticks going away!

Dipstick is HUGE!!

Any real enthusiastic car guy wants/demands access to the stick! I'm [censored] over trans sticks going away!

Yep, it is back. Few days ago I was checking one E90 335i at local BMW and saw 50i with open hood. First thing I noticed was dipstick! Hallelujah!

OP here-

Thank you all for your input. I took a test drive and it drove nice!
Reading others' experiences with German brands was helpful and I believe that I would be able to keep overall maintenance costs down.
My concern with the car was the amount of electronic technology, that is something that I do not know a thing about and am skeptical how long things will hold up, I prefer to keep it relatively simple.

I spoke to a friend who works at the local garage in town that does basically all of the non-dealer Euro car servicing and he recommended I look elsewhere. He has known me for years so I trust his opinion.

Long story short, its a tremendous car but not for me at this time.

Thank you all once again for the help.

Test drive a Tesla Model 3 first
smile.gif
it will make that BMW feel very old.

BMW 3 series is the most switched from car for Model 3s.

Ive had many BMWs, and I'll never own another. They fall apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back