2009 ABC News tire article

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure that everyone but me saw this last year, but it is in a mass email forward and I ran into it for the first time today.

The age thing is interesting ... I'm familiar with the 6 to 10 years depending on ... things ..., but had never thought about the very stale tires at dealers.

Will some of you trained folks (Capri, that means you!) comment on storage at dealers before mounting.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Always check date codes on EVERY tire you purchase at any tire store before they are mounted- reject any over 6 months old.....same with batteries.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Always check date codes on EVERY tire you purchase at any tire store before they are mounted- reject any over 6 months old.....same with batteries.

But good luck actually pulling that off. In so many cases the retailer simply places orders from a national distributor and you get what you get... You could reject 4 sets and still end up with whatever randomly comes off of the warehouse shelves....

I pointed out that my new snow tires I bought this fall were a couple of years old to he retailer and he discounted them. Enough so that if I take them off the road "early" due to age it offsets the cost amortization to do so. But he couldn't send them back and get me another set of
I'd be interested to discover if there's retailer favoritism at the warehouse (ie. a Kaltire retailer gets brand new Nokian snows while everyone else gets 2 year old stock). Talking to a couple of "insiders" it doesn't work that way, but I can't be sure. If my retailer wouldn't take more money to try to get me newer tires what does that say?

Limiting tire age to six months is a lot to ask for. Considering the matrix of manufacturers, types, and tire sizes, and the fact that retailers have to balance stock with availability to the gotta-have-it-now public, don't expect to also have a choice in tire freshness.

What would happen if you bought tires a put the in your cool, dry garage for 2 years and then mounted them ?
21.gif

I just installed new tires on my car 6 months ago. Should I replace those too?

lol.gif

I am sure some of you noticed I have not posted for the last week - and for that I'll ask for forgiveness. I was out of the country and didn't have access to a computer for any appreciable length of time.

But to address George's point:

In theory, a properly stored tire can last a very long time in storage. The key is how close to "ideal" are the storage conditions. Changes in the rubber take place very slowly if there are no outside influences. Obviously heat is an issue, as well as the presence of ozone from welding, electric motors, and other sources of ozone - both natural and man-made.

Clearly, it is next to impossible to have freshly produced tires always avaiable at the retail outlet - particularly considering the number of tire sizes. Sometimes, a particular tire will only be produced once a year. Winter tires, for example - where the market demand is so seasonal.

If we take into account that MOST tire storage in the supply chain is somewhat reasonable, then a tire that is 2 years old is close enough in condition to a newly made tire that it can be considered the same. Even 3 year old tires - and in particular tires that have been stored in tire warehouses (as opposed to the "shed" at the tire dealer), can also be considered reasonable close to "new".

However, once a tire has been placed in service, the heat and stress generated during operation change the rubber in the tire. Again, the changes are slow, but accelerated compared to a stored tire.

So how is the best way to express this - in simple terms - so the average consumer has some guidelines as to where in the process his particular tires are? Needless to say, this is highly imprecise.

I think the point of the news article is that SOME tire outlets pay little attention to the storage conditions of their tires.

The guy looked at me strangely when I was picking my tires at Sams Club. I told him I wanted the freshest tires, trying to get a set of 4 with the same date code. I ended up with two pair of the newest date codes. I don't think any were over 6 months old. I think both pair were within three months, but I can't really remember now.

I guess I need to get these tires made in 03 off my truck. They were on there when I bought it, an 04 w/ 22k on it, must be the original tires. Not worth the risk since I already got a used set made in 08 and 09 that I can swap onto it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back