2008 Scion tC Valvoline Daily 5w30 and 1 qt HPL EC30 3543 miles

Update….1679 miles and I added my first quart of HPL 5-30.
IMG_5453.jpeg

With that much consumption I think you might have cylinder wall damage. I have a 08 TC, bought at 130k, now at 161k. Burned 1qt/1k miles at first, managed to improve to 1qt/2k miles, so I typically just slightly overfill at OC and add a bit over a quart in the middle of every OCI now. It does burn more with high speed highway driving(80mph+), when I take long road trips w/ it and cruise 80-85 for hundreds of miles, the consumption increases to about 1.5k/quart

Since you've had yours since 33k and have done 5k OCI with presumably good oil, I wonder why there is such a discrepancy. Is your car auto or manual, and how do you drive?

I did:
- 5k OCI, M1 0w40, OEM or fram filter at every change
- Berrymans engine flush @ 135k
- HPL EC @ 145k
- Berrymans engine flush @ 155k
- Drive the piss out of it everywhere(manual trans)

Honestly saw the most improvement with the Berrymans, the first flush improved it by 400miles/quart right away.

Keep us updated, curious as to whether that level of consumption can be improved. Theres a guy on youtube who has rigorously tested every non teardown method to clean up his rings on the older gen 4cyl in a late 90s corolla that was at a quart/500 miles and the only thing that worked was berrymans chemtool piston soak which improved it to 1k/quart. Judging by his borescope footage, he unstuck 2 of the rings, and one cylinder still always has a bunch of oil pooling on top of it.

EDIT: just to clarify, I did berrymans engine flush, not the chemtool piston soak. So I just poured around half a bottle into the crankcase and let it run for 10-15 mins before the OC.

Those were some serious oil burners giving the GM ecotech a run!!

I had to replace a motor in a 2008 Scion last year because the young lady didn't listen to my pleads to check her oil - at the time the motor was burning a quart in like 700-1000 miles. She ran it dry and burned it up. The replacement motor was used and turned out to be a good motor that had been thru the toyota recall service. It doesn't burn but 1/2 to 3/4 quart in 5000 miles. We been running full syn 5w/30 in it be it supertech or Quaker state or STP syn and change at 5000 miles.

Back