2008 Scion tC Valvoline Daily 5w30 and 1 qt HPL EC30 3543 miles

Highboy

Site Donor 2022
Here are some photos of my oil filter from my Scion. So I did a B12 piston soak before this oil change also. Car was using a quart every 350 miles before piston soak. At the time of oil change it was down a quart, and I added 2 quarts during this run. Replaced with HPL PCMO 5w30 and OEM filter.
000E66D5-5F22-4122-9A1C-A87CC85DB437.jpeg
84AE5CC5-EC48-4722-B56E-2AF5C3515D08.jpeg
97A724EB-76E9-45AE-A36C-74D177C8DDD7.jpeg
28F30F0A-A032-45CA-BA3E-DD265147CFCE.jpeg
346EF0E7-B16B-4BC2-9495-E90C0CB26AF8.jpeg
CABF5815-7F90-4445-9526-1BE2846F2762.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you the original owner of this car?
What oils have you used and how many miles are on the car?
Purchased used in August 2013 at 31450 miles. Always used name brand synthetic oils at 5000-5500 miles. It used a little at first, not enough to meet the recall at was out on it. It has 133,000 miles on it now.

Have you cut open a filter before this one to compare a before and after treatment filter? Ester base oil really clean well.

Have you cut open a filter before this one to compare a before and after treatment filter? Ester base oil really clean well.
I have not. After this HPL oil change at 5000 miles I’ll cut it open to check for more trash in it. I’m also hoping for more ring cleaning for less oil consumption.

Reactions: wlk
I had an '07 Scion tC that I took to the dealer multiple times when I found out there were oil consumption issues and a TSB out for it. There's really not much you can do once those deposits get baked and clog the oil return holes in the piston and in between the rings (they changed to tensile strength rings and didn't drill the holes big enough starting in '07). The only way to get rid of the oil consumption truely is to replace the piston and rings. I was the original owner of mine from 42 miles on the meter and ended around 100K miles when I sold it to a friend. Always used full synthetic Mobil 1 5W-20, Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 after its first initial break in oil change and either used OEM oil filters or Mobil 1 filters.

Attachments

• IMG_20190614_090804.jpg
    IMG_20190614_090804.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
Purchased used in August 2013 at 31450 miles. Always used name brand synthetic oils at 5000-5500 miles. It used a little at first, not enough to meet the recall at was out on it. It has 133,000 miles on it now.
Goodness... I mean - I know 2AZ has the factory engineering brainfart built-in with the piston/rings design... But... I'd expect the name brand synthetics to put up at least somewhat of a fight at such (what is considered by many) short intervals. Can't help, but wonder if 3000-mile OCI still has a place in certain engines?...
@High Performance Lubricants thank you for products that do what they claim to do, and even clean up engines where brand name synthetics failed.

Goodness... I mean - I know 2AZ has the factory engineering brainfart built-in with the piston/rings design... But... I'd expect the name brand synthetics to put up at least somewhat of a fight at such (what is considered by many) short intervals. Can't help, but wonder if 3000-mile OCI still has a place in certain engines?...
@High Performance Lubricants thank you for products that do what they claim to do, and even clean up engines where brand name synthetics failed.
Oil won’t fix a shoddy ring design. Also pistons with not enough drain back holes didn’t help either.

I agree. I don’t know what the original owner did as far as oil changes, but that might’ve set the wheels in motion for the piston rings to get clogged up. Either way it is a bad design. My 2006 scion TC at173,000 miles uses no oil.

I agree. I don’t know what the original owner did as far as oil changes, but that might’ve set the wheels in motion for the piston rings to get clogged up. Either way it is a bad design. My 2006 scion TC at173,000 miles uses no oil.

The '06 and prior years used a different design. '07 and after introduced oil squirters,, low tensile strength rings and for some reason smaller holes within the pistons. It's a combination of changed parts that caused this whole oil consumption mess with these engines.

Hello, now that you have done an oil change with HPL PCMO. Please be sure to give us an update on your consumption. Im very interested to know if it helps. I have an 09 Prius which burns a quart in 500 miles. I plan on using HPL PCMO on my next OCI to see if it helps.

I hope this works out or else the only other way to fix it for another 100K miles is to replace the pistons and rings. I'm 'glad' the dealership did that for my 2AZ but so many people weren't qualified for the repair until they aged out of the service campaign duration. It should've been a recall, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I would like to chime in that im seeing similar results. Im 1200 miles into a full oil change and my oil consumption so far has been cut down by 75%. 07 Toyota Prius w/ 318k

Back