2008 Pt Cruiser Oil Cunsumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me we have a 2008 pt.cruiser with 49,000 miles on it. This car uses 1 to 1 1/2 qt of oil every 3000 to 4000 miles from day one, Dealer says that's normal for this car.
Would something like Valvoline Maxlife help it. or should I just us a 10w30 instead of 5w30 or even 5w40. PCV valve was changed at 20,500 and 41,000 miles.
It has PU 5w30 in it right now and it uses less of it than M1.

Last edited:
I know on these cars some people make an oil catch can as the breather system is known to be a source for oil to get out into the intake and be consumed.

Changing to a thicker oil probably won't solve the issue, neither will 10W-30.

I agree. Something's up with that

Our turbo 2.4 does not consume any measureable amount of oil with twice that amount of mileage. Most of it's life was on Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. The manual does spec 10W30.

My Manual specs 5w30. there is no leaks and no smoke so I have no idea where this oil is going. Changed the spark plugs no sign of oil on them.

GC is a very good oil that also is good for the seals of the engine. GC is Castrol 0W-30 European formula. It is now Castrol Edge in the black bottle. It will say "Eruopean formula" on the front of the bottle and somewhere near the bar code on the back it will say "made in Germany". You can get it at AutoZone, and Pepboys.

a quart every 3k isn't something to be concerned about. but the fact that it is happening on a car with only 50K seems a bit odd. i agree, 10W30 isn't going to make much of a difference with the oil consumption. try a few rounds with maxlife, it certainly did help with the rear main seal leak on my jeep. there's a coupon for valvoline floating out there

Originally Posted By: 72Cude426
My Manual specs 5w30. there is no leaks and no smoke so I have no idea where this oil is going. Changed the spark plugs no sign of oil on them.

Your consumption is so low in the grand scheme of things that you won't see smoke or get plug fouling. Really, lookup PT Cruiser oil catch cans, oil can slosh and get sucked through the intake on these cars and cause high consumption.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Originally Posted By: 72Cude426

Your consumption is so low in the grand scheme of things that you won't see smoke or get plug fouling. Really, lookup PT Cruiser oil catch cans, oil can slosh and get sucked through the intake on these cars and cause high consumption.

a lot of guys over on the neon section @dodgeforum have installed oil catch cans in the pvc line for this very reason. ( I keep meaning to, but one of those things i never quite get around to)
http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon/331022-oil-catch-can.html

read through this thread the whole thing is good, but the most pertinent starts about halfway down page 2 (post #14) by "chew*" "temp fix is an inline catch can....."
http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon/306288-losing-oil.html

Quote:
Our turbo 2.4 does not consume any measureable amount of oil with twice that amount of mileage.

X2.

I would add a catch can. I get a couple ounces in mine every 5k miles. My neon has 80k miles

My niece bought a 2004 PT Cruiser a few years ago that had around 20,000 miles on it. It uses about a quart every three thousand miles, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back